Xbox Port Bounty

Derek
GitHub: Pretuer
IRC: Derek0
In-game: Dereko

Xbox Port Bounty

by Derek » Post

Looking to put a bounty to port the Game to Xbox, does anyone think they can Do it?
cdb_5d2e80ab9e18

ywwv

Re: Xbox Port Bounty

by ywwv » Post

hi derek. I hve a lot of xbox live points. so you could say that I know my way around the platform. ywwv is also my gamer tag. you can look me up. I have a lot of impressive acheivements and play all the latest games. I think my reputation proceeds me here. so you can tell me about this new business opportunity....

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

Well I remember being able to play Minetest using an Xbox controller, that's probably halfway there...

You'd need to port Minetest to UWP, since while the Xbox One runs more or less a regular Windows version, it does not allow for Win32 games (Which Minetest for Windows is) as far as I can tell.

Beyond the technical hurdles, you'd also need to get past certification. Would Microsoft, the owner of Minecraft allow Minetest? Maybe, maybe not. The modding capabilities would most likely be highly restricted. It could come with a ton of games and mods that has been certified, but without the ability to add more which would probably defeat the purpose of porting it to the Xbox in the first place if it's going to be heavily restricted.

You would also need to publish the source code for this Xbox port in order to follow the Minetest license. Would Microsoft allow an open source game onto the Xbox in the first place? Maybe, maybe not. I couldn't find any other open source games that have made the jump to the Xbox. If Microsoft wouldn't allow releasing the source code, your Xbox port is now illegal unless you have the explicit permission of every Minetest contributor, along with the authors and contributors of whatever GPL'd mods and games get bundled with it.

To be honest, it might be easiest to just hook up your computer to your TV, plug in an Xbox controller (or any other game controller of your choice) and play Minetest that way if you want the console experience. No need to pay me, it's free advice.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I am still waiting for a . reply. derek . this is a little short sigthed .