Minetest in AR

ABeton

Minetest in AR

by ABeton » Post

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but I have been playing Minetest from time to time. I work for a company called Augmented City, which works with augmented reality.

https://www.augmented.city/

The technology we use allows us to geoposition different kinds of digital information in places in the real world(something like what PokemonGO does). So it is possible to place 3D models, images, videos, sounds in some place, and view the through an app.

The placement of objects is persistant so once placed somewhere they will stay there if you come back later.

We use point cloud technology to precisely reckognise scanned locations in the world. Some of the cities we have scanned by now include Bari, St.Petersburg, New York, Amsterdam...

The Idea

We were thinking to build an app which would combine the Minetest game(or some elements of it) with the AR technology we have.

The main idea we were having was to make an application which would allow users to either: 1) make stuff in the real world using blocks, or to 2) place stuff already built in game.

So option 1) would be that a person comes to some location with their phone and builds something with cubes in augmented reality, so that they would have to walk arround and instead of just moving the character with their finger. It would be similar to what Minecraft Earth did, but without the fighting and resource collecting part. People would just build stuff in a peaceful way.

The 2) idea is to export stuff from the game and place it in real world in AR, so like sharing your Minetest creations with other people.

We wanted to ask what do developers and people who work on Minetest think about this, and also if some of you would be interested in colaboration to build this kind of app. If you have some other ideas as well related to Minetest and AR, feel free to comment.

We made some demonstration videos as well how it could look like(I exported a procedurally generated village from Minetest), but I think the video is too big for the forum. Would there be some other way to share it?

P.S. if you are interested check out white Minecraft Earth did. It was a good idea and a bit similar to what we would like, but it should have been better and in a more simple way.

edit: here is the google drive link to a video, how a model is moved and scaled in AR:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

ywwv

Re: Minetest in AR

by ywwv » Post

this sounds like a dream I had. I feell asleep playing minetest ( I was OWNING people in ctf) and in my dreams everything was made of blocks . I couldn't escape and started taking it to the top . I was trapped in endless castles. eventually I got banned for greifing and woke up.

I would show interest in this. except i'm not comfortable. first of all . I beleive in the future workers will be forced to wear AR glasses at all times. there will be cosmetics only visible in AR that can be bought with NFTs. this is where your technology comes in. many offices want to spruce up their workplace and make it more attractive to young people. so they will come out with something thta lets you wrok in a minecraft (mintest) castle. this is where your technology comes in. you are building the next prison and I dont have enough etherium to escape . so I will have ot pass.