cripple creative mode

Silber

cripple creative mode

by Silber » Post

Hello all

I am a school teacher from germany and not very familiar with writing in forums. Please excuse any odd behaviour and/or language. I would like to ask you for your help with the minetest game.

Why I am asking?
I am using Minetest in school for a competition for students age 12.
Unfortunately we can not connect to any server, since the microsoft defender blocks all IPs. --> Therefore I send the whole folder with the game to every students desktop (which is less tedious than it sounds). Every student starts their own game from the games folder with the world I prepared for them and plays for himself.

my Questions:
- I would like to deactivate the creative mode. I tried to write creative mode == false in the conf file and also in the world files but it gets overwritten by the game. Is there a file which is not overwritten by the game? Or can I delete a file which is only important for creative mode (so that creative mode can not be choosen or the game crashes)?
It does not need to be a invincible solution - a little reminder to play fair would be good enough.

- Does anybody know what the microsoft defender blocks or what I would have to ask the it-department to allow so that students can connect to my server in the web.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

Re: cripple creative mode

by orwell » Post

Silber wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 07:51
- I would like to deactivate the creative mode. I tried to write creative mode == false in the conf file and also in the world files but it gets overwritten by the game. Is there a file which is not overwritten by the game? Or can I delete a file which is only important for creative mode (so that creative mode can not be choosen or the game crashes)?
It does not need to be a invincible solution - a little reminder to play fair would be good enough.
On the "Spiel Starten" page, the player can just tick the "Creative Mode" checkbox, nothing is stopping him/her/h** from doing this.
Quick solution: install and enable the mod in the attachment. It's a simple mod that does nothing more than end the game when creative mode has been enabled.

If you want to make sure that your students don't simply go to world settings and disable the mod again, you can also put it in games/minetest_game/mods (or whatever your game is). Then it is always enabled.

If you have a server, you don't need this anymore - if you have disabled creative mode on the server, it is disabled for all players (except you /grant them the 'creative' privilege).

Deutsch: den Mod aus dem Anhang in games/minetest_game/mods installieren, dann lässt sich das Spiel mit aktiviertem Kreativmodus nicht mehr starten.
Silber wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 07:51
- Does anybody know what the microsoft defender blocks or what I would have to ask the it-department to allow so that students can connect to my server in the web.
Minetest runs on UDP port 30000. Some servers also use ports slightly above, like 30001, 30005 etc.
Just tell your IT department to allow network traffic to and from UDP ports 30000-30010.
auf Deutsch: bitte Netzwerkverkehr auf den UDP-Ports 30000-30010 freigeben.
Attachments
block_creative.zip
(502 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Silber

by Silber » Post

Thanks, that is a great help.

Silber

by Silber » Post

@gayjesus What you describe (setting up a server...) is what I prepared a few weeks ago, but when I tried to connect to the server from the school computers the microsoft defender blocked all connections. With arbitrary rules and understuffed it-departments (typical for schools) you might have a slim chance that someone with the privileges might help you someday but in the meantime you have to find another approach.

Anyway the mod is working fine and is a great help for me (and teachers in my situation). On the other side the solution by gayjesus is probably the best solution for teachers which have students with their own laptops.

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

By far the simplest way to do this is to walk around the computers and punish anyone using creative mode. It won't be the most efficient way, but it is by far the simplest.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 17:46
By far the simplest way to do this is to walk around the computers and punish anyone using creative mode. It won't be the most efficient way, but it is by far the simplest.
*bonk* your're going to creative jail.

On-topic: Having the IT department set up your network so you can run a server would be by far the cleanest solution.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I would like a crippled mode to be added to minetest that disables jumping and moving fast. to be inclusive and represent the disabled . this is something I will explore in my next mod.

orwell

by orwell » Post

ywwv wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 17:46
I would like a crippled mode to be added to minetest that disables jumping and moving fast. to be inclusive and represent the disabled . this is something I will explore in my next mod.
Disabling jumping should be straightforward via a physics override. Moving fast is disabled by revoking the "fast" privilege.
Lua is great!
List of my mods

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

orwell wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 18:33
ywwv wrote:
Disabling jumping should be straightforward via a physics override. Moving fast is disabled by revoking the "fast" privilege.
thats cool. actually I was thinking. you look kind of smart. so I need to add ramps into minetest. I know that its a block game but one of the biggest obstacles to the lame are staircases. and its honeslty kind of insensitive and exclusionary to them that every single surface is a staircase that they cant normally climb in the real world. so I need ramps like wheelchair ramps. wheelchair elevators are OK too. but ideally both. I would like to give them access

orwell

by orwell » Post

ywwv wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 00:48
orwell wrote:
ywwv wrote:
thats cool. actually I was thinking. you look kind of smart. so I need to add ramps into minetest. I know that its a block game but one of the biggest obstacles to the lame are staircases. and its honeslty kind of insensitive and exclusionary to them that every single surface is a staircase that they cant normally climb in the real world. so I need ramps like wheelchair ramps. wheelchair elevators are OK too. but ideally both. I would like to give them access
The "moreblocks" mod has ramps of various materials, available through the circular saw. You might want to give this a try.
Lua is great!
List of my mods

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

orwell wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 06:59
ywwv wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 00:48
orwell wrote:

The "moreblocks" mod has ramps of various materials, available through the circular saw. You might want to give this a try.
i'll get back to you on how well this goes. I hope they aren't too steep. there are standards for this kind of thing and they should be followed