Minetest to teach STEM (Science, Technology, Math, Engineering)

crlyttle
In-game: crl

Minetest to teach STEM (Science, Technology, Math, Engineering)

by crlyttle » Post

I'm starting an after school project to help students with STEM as related to modern industry. The idea is that the "School" would be completely FOSS in a Minetest world. I've never played MineCraft and my only experience is the Tutorial in Minetest. I currently have 12 gold bars and 4 diamonds :)
I am a professional programmer so LUA isn't presenting a problem. However, I do need help with the details of developing worlds and specialized servers. Are there any good books on those subjects for Minetest? Do any of the books on developing Roblox or Minecraft apply?

Thanks for your time.

crlyttle

Re: Minetest to teach STEM (Science, Technology, Math, Engineering)

by crlyttle » Post

Currently up to 13 gold bars and 9 diamonds :) I have build MineTest from source. I also now have complete (I think) lua5.3 and sqlite3 development environments.
I would like to try my hand at developing some avatars for the games, but haven't found anything on that in the on-line manuals. Can someone point me to documentation for that task?
Thanks.

Smithy
GitHub: Smithy
IRC: Smithy
In-game: Smithy

by Smithy » Post

That sounds fantastic what you have developed. I was going to ask you if you have any basic lesson plans that you have created and resources. We are currently putting the curriculum together for next year but have very limited coding/programmer experience. I was going to use the summer to get my head around as I think it's something our students would enjoy.

crlyttle

by crlyttle » Post

The goal is to teach the practical application of basic STEM skills such as Math from arithmetic through some vector algebra, etc.
Current plans are to use Minetest and Flightgear to simulate USAAF training circa 1944. I've scanned in material on physics, math, meteorology, aeronautics, navigation (shape of the earth, maps), etc. These were all written to a 6th grade reading level and include some testing material. All material is public domain. Material scanned includes textbooks, student work books(problems to solve for each lesson), student notebooks, and assignments for each hour.
The plan is to use Minetest to crate a digital version of a training field where classes, instructors, and students would meet. Flightgear and simulators would be used for practicals, such as navigate and fly your P51 from Dover Maryland, to the UK without getting stuck in the ice on Greenland.
I'm trying to get it all on-line in Calabre at http://24.159.83.86:8080 (select ClaitbreLibrary when Calibre starts in your browser). This is hosted on my personal computer so it may be slow or down a lot. Also downloading for off-line reading seems to work better than trying to read in Calibre.
I have a place-keeper page also up at http://24.159.83.86 but it is dated and not professional looking.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Minetest has been used for education plenty of times before. There's a few members hanging around that are actually teachers and use Minetest as well for education. In fact, minetest.net itself has a page dedicated to solely to education since it comes up so often: http://www.minetest.net/education/.

However, when it comes to working with Lua to make the stuff you want, there's two important resources: first is rubenwardy's Minetest Modding Book, which teaches the basics of making anything for Minetest in Lua. Secondly, there's the Lua API reference here, or in a nicer format, here, which lists the entire functionality of Minetest.

Finally, as for setting up servers, there's a few tutorials on that in the "Servers" forum pinned to the top. And, if you need help with some Lua thing, there's always the "Modding Discussion" subforum where you can ask questions.

I wish you the best of luck!
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

crlyttle

by crlyttle » Post

Thanks v-rob,
I'm working my way through the API reference and a LUA API reference now. Also working to understand and use the "Minetest Game" and "Minimal Development Test". I have also ordered a book on game development project management. There are lots of mods available. If someone had a list of those most useful for education, that would be helpful.

runs

by runs » Post

Hey teachaz! The best starting would be with Mesecons. You can teach maths, physics, and that subjects that alumns hate (well... me :-().

Rigbody Physics
Well, Physics is dificult, cos Minetest and Minecraft physics are unrealistic.

Programmable Robot
Basic Machines

Fly!
Hidroplane
Trike
Hangglider

To make teaching books:

Guide Books

crlyttle

by crlyttle » Post

Definitely trying Hidroplane and Trike. I've been thinking about Mesecons and Basic Machines. Does Basic Machine provide for teleporting between games? That would be useful.

apercy
GitHub: APercy
In-game: APercy

by apercy » Post

I'll make another plane, one from 1909, Le Demoiselle from Santos Dumont. I'll keep you informed. I know the minetest engine is limited, but something can be learned from my planes. I'm private pilot and I made it for my own training, as I want to return my real life flights. It isn't the ideal, but I like the interact we can have with the minetest world. Well. If you need any help to pilot the trike and hydroplane, you can ask me.
The hidroplane have a Flight Instruction mode. You activate it at the time you "enter" it, by giving the right click together the shift key pressed, so you will start at the back seat. But we have a problem: You cannot see the panel, so you can activate the HUD (W + S) to see some flight information. I suggest the use of the external camera. You can fly it. And you can pass the flight control to the student by pressing Shift + Space together. If you press any control after, you regain the plane control.

And here I have some utilities:
https://github.com/APercy/airutils
A PAPI light and a tug, to move the planes over the airfield. The PAPI can be reversed with right click. The tug works with left click to move, and shift + left click to rotate

crlyttle

by crlyttle » Post

Apercy:
Thanks. Is it possible to do something like a Stearman Kaydet? That was used for training in 1944 and exists in Flightgear. I intend to recreate some USAAF airfields in both Minetest and Flightgear as soon as I learn how. I currently have photos of Tuskegee and Ozark (Cairns) Army Airfields.

apercy
GitHub: APercy
In-game: APercy

by apercy » Post

crlyttle wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:03
Apercy:
Thanks. Is it possible to do something like a Stearman Kaydet? That was used for training in 1944 and exists in Flightgear. I intend to recreate some USAAF airfields in both Minetest and Flightgear as soon as I learn how. I currently have photos of Tuskegee and Ozark (Cairns) Army Airfields.
Okay, I need some time now but after I can make it.