What happens this year with Minetez? (Mistery)

runs

What happens this year with Minetez? (Mistery)

by runs » Post

I have noticed that the forums are lately down and the community is dormant.

Last year, 2020, was one of the best in terms of activity in the entire history of Minetest. But this year the thing has declined, and a lot.

Many people are even announcing that they are leaving.

The pandemic? Fed up? Despair? None of it or all of it?

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: What happens this year with Minetez? (Mistery)

by philipbenr » Post

Minetest is too middling of a game to be the main focus for a large amount of people who want to play sandbox style games. For me, Minetest is cathartic, not so much fun. There are at least 5 other games I have that rank higher than it for fun that I'd prefer to play.

Minetest is a great project for people who want to tinker with code and make things that way. This demographic is smaller than the one above, and is more prone to burnout to my understanding.

There are a lot of reasons you've missed in your small list of plausible "root problems"

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

philipbenr wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 19:41
Minetest is too middling of a game to be the main focus for a large amount of people who want to play sandbox style games. For me, Minetest is cathartic, not so much fun.

The thing is that Minetest isn't a game that you just "install and run" though. Which is as you mentioned why people leaves because they don't understand this concept.

For good mileages as a player you should be looking at servers or setting up a Single Player environment of a distinct game or a modded Minetest Game.

At least the UI was adjusted accordingly to attempt to convey this a bit more. But I agree more work on this front is needed.

runs

by runs » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:09
philipbenr wrote:
At least the UI was adjusted accordingly to attempt to convey this a bit more. But I agree more work on this front is needed.
The UI change is still pending.I.e., I am Spanish and I don't like the fact that we can easily select the language. It should be a fundamental option. Maybe a Game Selector.

MInetest as a game is completed. ContentDB and Shadows are the remining important things completed.
Last edited by runs on Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:58, edited 2 times in total.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

runs wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:55
Mineminer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 20:09
philipbenr wrote:
The UI change is still pending.I.e., I am Spanish and I don't like the fact that we can easily select the language. It should be a fundamental option
I mean the game selector, ContentDB and such. It was more difficult back then to do those operations but now it somewhat easier to do.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

runs wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 19:31
I have noticed that the forums are lately down and the community is dormant.

Last year, 2020, was one of the best in terms of activity in the entire history of Minetest. But this year the thing has declined, and a lot.

Many people are even announcing that they are leaving.

The pandemic? Fed up? Despair? None of it or all of it?
Option D "None of it at all"
This community has pretty much always gone through cycles of this, it's nothing new, nor anything to be concerned about. It happens.
Don't try to base "activity" solely on the forum. And, there are far more people who use Minetest who've never even ventured onto the forum.
Try to view this forum as sort of like a small town bar... you have your regulars. Sometimes tourists come around, and then it suddenly slows back down again.
A Wonderful World

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

they all got vaccinated. its really that simple