About my donation link on the website (and a poll)

Which platform do you prefer for donating to projects or people?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:47

PayPal
31%
Patreon
38%
Liberapay
27%
Ko-fi
No votes
Something else, please comment
4%

Total votes: 26

Mineminer

Re: About my donation link on the website (and a poll)

by Mineminer » Post

runs wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 21:10
Mineminer wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 20:13
Wuzzy wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 20:09
I voted for Liberapay because 1) it does not contain proprietary JavaScript on their website and 2) it's not run by an authotaritan corporation.

We should always side with our fellow FOSS friends where possible. Proprietary software needs to die, including shitty proprietary JavaScript in websites, a problem which is often ignored.
The only reason I don't like this is because they throttle your donations to $100/week or something. In the name of "so nobody overpowers a project" which is strange to me.

I SORTA get it that they don't want Microsoft, Amazon, etc to make loads of donations to "over run" projects. But there are legitimate grounds to donating in large lumps. For example for people who need to "vent off excess cash" to stay within a certain taxation bracket at the end of the year.
what?!

they may be very liberal and all, but who are they to decide the amount of money to donate. I repeat, free software doesn't say anything that you can't become a multimillionaire if you feel like it, for ****'s sake.

Having these prerogatives of moral superiority disgusts me.

Exactly! It's make LITTLE senses to me. IF anything it should be left to the organizations not a platform wide policy.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

$100 a week is already much more than I would expect to ever get though, no matter how I spent the money or begged for it, so in practice it doesn't matter.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

celeron55 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 03:41
$100 a week is already much more than I would expect to ever get though, no matter how I spent the money or begged for it, so in practice it doesn't matter.
Right neither would I be expecting this sum of cash even for running a server at this point. HOWEVER what if someone prefers/needs to give you say $600 in one lump as I said to divert excess cash to avoid being taxed (since in some jurisdictions if you make UNDER a certain amount you are not required to file for that dollar amount) as much for example while still supporting the project?

Minix
In-game: Minix

by Minix » Post

Why not have two donation options ?

Liberapay and Ko-fi seem to be the most suitable for an open source project, especially Liberapay, but it requires donors to create an account and some people would turn back after seeing that.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:
The only reason I don't like this is because they throttle your donations to $100/week or something. In the name of "so nobody overpowers a project" which is strange to me.
Smells super fishy.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Mineminer wrote:
They do this to stop creators being too reliant on a single donator, but that can happen anyway and it should be up to the creator
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 16:54
Mineminer wrote:
They do this to stop creators being too reliant on a single donator, but that can happen anyway and it should be up to the creator
Exactly how it should be a organizational decision not a middleware one.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

<opinion>
If you want to reach the largest audience possible, Patreon is by far the best.
If you want to make continual support easy, Patreon is also the best
If you want to maximize each donation, I would go with Liberapay
If you want to appease the rabid open-source only crowd, I'd likely go with Liberapay.
If you want to go for an overall simplified experience, I'd likely go with Paypal
</opinion>

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

philipbenr wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 16:51
If you want to reach the largest audience possible, Patreon is by far the best.
Indeed Patreon is like the "Discord of donations' processing". Still it doesn't justifies the ridiculous overheads they demands.

If it was contained to 5% and maxing out at 10% for their "higher end" package then it would make sense to charge that. But it starts at a pretty guntful 10% which is high for a "self managed" platform. Not even a "everyday" E-Commerce PaaS charges that.