What are the best open-source games? Minetest #6

runs

What are the best open-source games? Minetest #6

by runs » Post

What are the best open-source games?

I have always said that Minetest is a very good game. People here are very defeatist and only do complaining.

In the OS world it is the best.

The only thing I hate is that 99% of the best OS games are "copies" of other famous ones.

That is:

- Money rules and bosses. The teams commanded by companies and supported by money go far. Minetest is too democratic and poor.

- "Copying" a game is easy in OS, since the eternal discussions about what to do and what not to do don't exist, since everything is already chewed. It's the same with Mineclone, there is no discussion but copying Minecraft, that's why it's so successful. On the other hand, the more original Minetet Game died.

- 99% of the games released on the market pass without shining. Making OS games is very difficult, so play it safe, copy some successful ones.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: What are the best open-source games? Minetest #6

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Warzone 2100
0 A.D.
OpenTTD
Battle for Wesnoth
imo are best in show great replay value very stable and easy to install new content .
I would say minetest blows them all way if it was not such a badly run shambles that is hugely frustrating to set up .
really sad to see as it had so much potential i can not see it ever really shining now as its a spent force .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

place 5 I see there : but I didn't look the criteria how to be listed
and most important : the right link !

but a game listed here good up, doesn't mean that game might have also many gamer ... hihi
and also they didn't mention about the former two worlds: 5.x and 0.4.x which can't interact which each other

and I don't find a date this is from
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I think that. this list lacks a lot of prespective. quake 3 and doom are obviously much better than . all the games in the top 10. except they wont list them because they are trying to list " little guys" that ahve more clout. so I wont take mintests lower place too seriously

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

ywwv wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03
I think that. this list lacks a lot of prespective. quake 3 and doom are obviously much better than . all the games in the top 10. except they wont list them because they are trying to list " little guys" that ahve more clout. so I wont take mintests lower place too seriously
Quake's engine is available under GPL 3 but not the assets. Doom's has an unclear license so it doesn't even fit the OSI or FSF's definitions of Open Source or Free. You would probably have a point if the list were extended to source-available games. I wonder what else would be in that list?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

skiphoppy

by skiphoppy » Post

runs wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 23:03
On the other hand, the more original Minetet Game died.
It did? Minetest Game + Ethereal + Farming redo is an incredible game.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

skiphoppy wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 16:27
runs wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 23:03
On the other hand, the more original Minetet Game died.
It did? Minetest Game + Ethereal + Farming redo is an incredible game.
the forum has become stagnated and sadly there is little love shown for the original minetest game that has now been abandoned , but as you say its still and incredible game with the wealth of mods available .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 02:31
ywwv wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03
Quake's engine is available under GPL 3 but not the assets. Doom's has an unclear license so it doesn't even fit the OSI or FSF's definitions of Open Source or Free. You would probably have a point if the list were extended to source-available games. I wonder what else would be in that list?
we're talking about . Open "source". which is about the code. the FSF isn't brazen enough to reach its logical conclusion and speak out against artist's copyright. regardless freedoom and openarena have open assets