WORLD edge (viable alternative)?

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

WORLD edge (viable alternative)?

by DOOM_possum » Post

is the edge MOD, a good idea/replacement for actual infinite worlds?

it doesn't make It infinite, although we should be getting, That, pretty soon. . . . . . . .

but It does give the feel, as if You are walking back and around

thoughts, anyone??

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: WORLD edge (viable alternative)?

by Linuxdirk » Post

DOOM_possum wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 16:08
I’m using the World Borders mod. t adds mantle stone at the bottom so the void is not visible and adds an electric fence around the world so you don’t run into an invisible wall.

Mods like this are the best we can use to hide the smallness of Minetest worlds, I guess.

DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

A solemn truth, i am hoping to find someone who can help Me open up The Border further, or even a quick hotfix for MOD capability

skiphoppy

by skiphoppy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 16:31
DOOM_possum wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 16:08
I’m using the World Borders mod. t adds mantle stone at the bottom so the void is not visible and adds an electric fence around the world so you don’t run into an invisible wall.

Mods like this are the best we can use to hide the smallness of Minetest worlds, I guess.

I also use and like the world borders mod. It keeps my world small! :)

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

how about making the world edge a cliff?
but rather than just cutting it off, make it slowly disappear.

since it is now possible to limit biomes by x/z coordinates, you could define multiple layers of the mapgen's biomes around the border with gradually removed elements.

first would be water, so existing rivers and oceans pour out into empty valleys. the remove trees, smaller plants and eventually the grass layer. register air as an ore with increasing density, to simulate the terrain crumbling away. the most outer ring would be just air, so you don't run into the wall. (unless you deliberately build a bridge).
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

the most natural world cliff in my opinion, even have seen a lot in other games

hills !

a normal walker can't reach, so might not see the cliff, and when server admin protects that last ... 20-50 nodes ... most natural border
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

i'm ready, Man, good to go whenever we get an option to make the world go more in infinite directions

Amadeus

by Amadeus » Post

The most natural way to create a sense of infinity, imo., is to blend the height at the map edges of x to -x, and z to -z. And a player walks past 32767 automatically emerge at -32767. But I think it requires modification to mapgen code and is beyond LUA modding capabilities.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Amadeus wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 14:18
The most natural way to create a sense of infinity, imo., is to blend the height at the map edges of x to -x, and z to -z. And a player walks past 32767 automatically emerge at -32767. But I think it requires modification to mapgen code and is beyond LUA modding capabilities.
You also need to mirror what was built on the other side and not only the generated terrain.

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 14:34
Amadeus wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 14:18
You also need to mirror what was built on the other side and not only the generated terrain.
Or you could create fog several blocks around the edge and teleport in the fog.

DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

fog would be better for a different Game, maybe "Exile", i'm looking to expand The Map

DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

((so..))

ehem, any advancements on True Technology, with This?? anyone come up with a good plan yet or.. ?

go ahead and inbox Me the details, if You've got a MOD that allows expansions on The SEED

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

In Hades Revisited you take unavoidable radiation damage if you are close to the edge, lol. You'll be dead long before you ever see the actual edge. :-)

But of course, there are many other options to deal with the world edge. I agree the default Minetest behavior, that the world just ends in a huge "invisible wall" is pretty ugly.

Other ideas might be:
- A large visible wall made of nodes, a couple of blocks before the actual end (e.g. an electric fence, force field, or whatever)
- Render mapblocks beyond the world edge, with a visible boundary (this needs a Minetest modification), as if the mapgen would continue there. But the player can not interact with them in anyway, there are just there so the world doesn't end in nothingness
- Repeat the last block before the edge "infinitely" times (this is how Grand Theft Auto 2 did it). It would sure look odd tho

DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

Aye, sure, a lot of these option would work for many different alternative modes, particularly Hades Revisited, i still feel however, there should be an option for infinite play by means of a MOD

runs

by runs » Post

Ptolemy King Protector

It is the King of the protector mods.

It uses the same system than Rockstar Games (GTA5, Red Dead Redemption...)

DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

i see, That is good for server-sided playthroughs, but not what i am looking for