Why is "singleplayer" a special name?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Why is "singleplayer" a special name?

by Wuzzy » Post

Why am I, the player, forced to have the name "singleplayer" in singleplayer and cannot choose my name freely?
This always bothered me a little that locked chests are owned by "singleplayer", not "Wuzzy".

I wonder if there is a technical reason for that and how realistic it would be to change that.

What I would like is that you can choose your singleplayer name as well.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: Why is "singleplayer" a special name?

by v-rob » Post

Technically, you kind of can if you use "Host server" but don't announce or allow anyone to connect. Of course, there is a lot of stuff that says singleplayer that is hardcoded into the engine, but I don't know if any of that code really requires the name to be "singleplayer", although some mods might.

(It would be annoying, of course, to change your name in an existing world since you'd be locked out of all your chests then :D)

I don't think singleplayer was actually a thing before 0.4 rolled out, as older versions require you to choose a name regardless of whether it's a server or not.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 20:00
but I don't know if any of that code really requires the name to be "singleplayer", although some mods might.
It’s also the easiest and simplest way for mods to check if it’s a “normal server” or a “singleplayer server”.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 18:04
v-rob wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 20:00
but I don't know if any of that code really requires the name to be "singleplayer", although some mods might.
It’s also the easiest and simplest way for mods to check if it’s a “normal server” or a “singleplayer server”.
Well, minetest.is_singleplayer() is simpler - doesn't require a player object or list

I think the reason that singleplayer as a name exists is for UI reasons - we don't have an account system, and using a fixed username saves needing to show a text field
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:55
Well, minetest.is_singleplayer() is simpler - doesn't require a player object or list
The good thing with “singleplayer” is that it’s possible to create a mod that works pretty much independent from server type. Instead of checking for being a singleplayer server on startup and then, only when needed, behave differently. The mod can simply check if the player name is “singleplayer” and then either do nothing special because “singleplayer” is just treated as a regular player on a regular server, or do something different depending on the name.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

If everyone used another name in singleplayer mode, there would be some problems when sharing maps.
Ie. you'd have another position and inventory than the player who gave you the map.
This could probably be circumvented by saving the last singleplayer-name used in the map, so the map receiver can then play as the map creator.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 16:32
If everyone used another name in singleplayer mode, there would be some problems when sharing maps.
Ie. you'd have another position and inventory than the player who gave you the map.
Right now this is the case, yes. It could be possible to make singleplayer-servers independent of the player's name. The mentioned minetest.is_singleplayer() could help with this.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

I don't see how a name even means anything in singleplayer, as there's no one else to see it and you don't need to see your own name. The real issue is mods yelling "singleplayer" at you, instead of saying "you", etc.

Instead of adding bloat with single player names, change MTG and such to not use the playername and set an example
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

although the player name is of no importance if you start a singleplayer world, you might change your mind someday and want to use that exact map in some multiplayer setup.
So what we might need would be some mod or command that can reassign some singleplayer owned nodes to the new server god or whatever the new setup needs.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

twoelk wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 14:54
although the player name is of no importance if you start a singleplayer world, you might change your mind someday and want to use that exact map in some multiplayer setup.
This is why I always start all my worlds in multiplayer mode. Since it’s local there is no difference between a server with fixed name “singleplayer” and no password or a server with a given name and a password.