How to start with Minetest

mikilinux89

How to start with Minetest

by mikilinux89 » Post

Hi guys!! Nice to meet you. I am a new minetest player from italy.
Days ago I met a young minecraft fan (maybe 15 years old) during a Comic Convention. He showed me that he was in a team and they were starting to build all the most famous monuments and squares in Italy in Minecraft. I thought it was a cool thing. So when I returned home I decided to give this kind of games a try. I started up my linux low budget pc, I discovered Minetest and installed it.
I find it so cool but I need some hints:
1) what's the best way to start? single player? creator mode? I am totally new to this kind of games. what's your favorite?
2) is there any italian player?
3) (very stupid question) . Is there a way to fly to a specific point of a map , for example , in creator mode?

Bastrabun

Re: How to start with Minetest

by Bastrabun » Post

Ciao.

The best way to start depends on what you want to do with it :)

1) what's the best way to start? single player? creator mode? I am totally new to this kind of games. what's your favorite?

I started on singleplayer, after some days went on to play on a server. I played there for a year, then started making mods and released an adventure server. Your take may be wildly different. Some prefer to play minigames and visit Capture The Flag, inside the box or Minigames Galore. Some want to build crazy machines. Some want to survive in hardcore environment and some want to simply build on a creative server, where all blocks are available without mining.

There are plenty - Minetest seems to be popular in Italy. The master architect on our server is italian and it shows. One of the players tries to build Venezia.

3) (very stupid question) . Is there a way to fly to a specific point of a map , for example , in creator mode?

Yes, you can grant yourself a privilige to do so. You can fly or teleport. Do

Code: Select all

/grantme fly
or

Code: Select all

/grantme teleport
to obtain those privileges. Then either teleport to the location if you know the coordinates or fly there. Creator mode is not ultimately neccesary, you can have those privs in survival, too.
Whatever I say is CC0

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

mikilinux89 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 09:51
yer.. To fly to a part of the map.. You type /tpc 2345, 10, 3456 ... Then you are teleported to that Area of the Map.. When you create Map - you spawn at 0, 0, 0 ... in the center.

you need the /tpc priv.. type /grantme all .... or /grant mikilinux all

On my server i have gone with the 'War' vibe.

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

mikilinux89 wrote:
Hi, it is actually a good question.
Minetest itself is a game engine. So you need game installed.
By default you get "Minetest Game", which is basic game, but no mobs (animals, monsters), simple GUI, etc.
It can be a good start to learn basics, how to move, build, set privileges ... you can try to add some mods with animals, new staff, ...

If you want something more similar to Minecraft, than install Mineclone 2, or Mineclone 5 (Mineclone 2 with extra content, maybe less stable?).

There are many other cool games, just try them.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

2) There's an italian subforum: viewforum.php?f=30

3)
Don't be irritated by that tpc chatcommand from above, that's probably from some mod.

To teleport, type "/help" for a list of all chatcommands, "/grantme all" to grant yourself all privs (including teleport, give, fly, fast, debug, server, etc.) and "/help teleport" to get info about the teleport chatcommand. Press F5 to look up current player position (this needs a priv in the dev minetest version).

There's also fly, fast and noclip. There are buttons to activate each of them. To use fast you need to hold the aux1 button (default E) while moving.

Not that all those privs are independent from creative mode. Creative mode is something that subgames (sometimes called "games") tend to implement, ie. minetest_game. minetest_game also activates creative mode if you grant yourself the "creative" priv.

I highly recommend changing some of the settings in "advanced settings", like always_fly_fast, inventory_items_animations, movement_speed_fast or full_block_send_enable_min_time_from_building.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

I recommend starting on one of the many public servers. See: https://servers.minetest.net/
Public servers usually have a balanced number of mods, and you can test them out one by one to find your preferred game.
Some mods don't work well with others or have dependencies on other mods, which makes things difficult. Setting up your own server can therefore be complicated and frustrating, especially at the beginning.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

mikilinux89 wrote:
Hi guys!! Nice to meet you. I am a new minetest player from Italy.
My advice:
Don't ! - minetest is dying.

If, even ... do it for yourself, a server only brings trouble
* not compatible updates as from 5.2.0 until 5.4.1
* not up to date, crashing mods, that are also obsolete with upgrades in engine
* crashing server as of cheating apps using gamer
... and more as I can gibe you direct 2 IP Blocks from Italian gamer only come in to destroy

put together s system for just own gaming, and never change it = never fail = no work with updates = get most fun to build something ....

You and others might deny my text, but latest in a year you know it yourself.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

you should start from a blank slate. look up " isosurface" . look up "point cloud" laster scanning technology. a good italian artifact is the michalangelo sculpture . it was laster skanned in the 90s by MIT scientists . you can apply for the laster scan data information .... GOOD LUCK .... theydont give it to everyone so I would be ready with a ptich

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

mikilinux89 wrote:
i started in singleplayer to learn how the game works. once i was brave enough to have my constructions be seen by others, i moved to a server. i've been playing there ever since.
during a longer server downtime i considered to get into singleplayer again, for an alternative world that doesn't require internet. but i was never satisfied with available mods and eventually decided to create my own game. (i have yet to produce anything that is complete enough to be published)
mikilinux89 wrote:
we have an italian sub-forum. so yes, yes there are. :)
viewforum.php?f=30
mikilinux89 wrote:
grant yourself privileges with " /grantme all ". then use " /teleport x,y,z " to instantly move to the designated coordinates.
the [K] key en/disables flight, the [J] key is for super speed and with the

key you can pass through walls like a ghost.

✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨