IDEA: Using a QA platform [MINEDACT?]

runs

IDEA: Using a QA platform [MINEDACT?]

by runs » Post

In another thread they say that the documentation for making mods is insufficient.

Stuff:

- Modding Book is good to start with. Maybe there should be a separate "Advanced Knowledge" section.

- Wiki DEV is dead but there are still little things, tricks, that are worthwhile, why don't we delete it NOW? Or move it somewhere else.

- The forums, over there, are fine. People have always helped me. But it's a bad format, forums are no good, because it's not easy to search for past information.

My idea:

- Create a new platform like stackoverflow, for example MINEOVER, FLOWTEST or MINEDACT.

Maybe:
https://www.codidact.com/

There are many opensource platforms for that:
https://meta.stackexchange.com/question ... le-qa-site

runs

Re: IDEA: Using a QA platform [MINEDACT?]

by runs » Post

https://www.question2answer.org/ is cool too.

PHP+MYSQL

runs

by runs » Post

OH THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!

https://beautiful.demo.talkyard.io/latest

In ReactJS. ReactJS is the future of web development. I am porting my personal website to ReactJS.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Good idea. I agree that the forum isn't a good format for Q&A, and that Q&A is an excellent format for getting direct help. My reasoning is a bit different: StackExchange-like sites distinguish between comments and answers, and sort the answers so the good ones are at the top. A post on the existing modding discussion forums is presented in chronological order, which is far less helpful.

Hopefully such a site can integrate back to the forums like on ContentDB and have Single Sign-on options.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

runs

by runs » Post

any chance to be implemented some time in the future?

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:06
Good idea. I agree that the forum isn't a good format for Q&A, and that Q&A is an excellent format for getting direct help. My reasoning is a bit different: StackExchange-like sites distinguish between comments and answers, and sort the answers so the good ones are at the top. A post on the existing modding discussion forums is presented in chronological order, which is far less helpful.

Hopefully such a site can integrate back to the forums like on ContentDB and have Single Sign-on options.
Agreed 100%.
Stack Exchange-like sites are probably the best method for getting real answers for issues. And the comment/answer distinguishing helps keep everything on-topic and less cluttered.
I don't think another alternative as good as this exists.

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

The IRC channels are good enough IMO. There's bound to be someone who can help you there. :)
Jump in the caac

runs

by runs » Post

Eris wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 15:09
The IRC channels are good enough IMO. There's bound to be someone who can help you there. :)
IRC is a 90 technology. Obsolete.

Anyway I take this opportunity to say that I never use IRC, only Discord. It seems that someone impersonates me there.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

You can register your name on an IRC server to prevent that. Info on doing so is displayed when you connect.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

runs wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 09:04
forums are no good, because it's not easy to search for past information.
This is just plain wrong.

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

Eris wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 15:09
It's not though. In addition to IRCs being ugly and obsolete (Newcomers won't use it) It's also not good for searching for past information. The reason a stack-exchange-like site is so good is because it keeps records and separates the people who want to help you, question you further, or someone doing something completely different.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 08:11
runs wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 09:04
forums are no good, because it's not easy to search for past information.
This is just plain wrong.
I agree, his point was weak there, but that's not the main issue. Forums are good but are a poor environment for simple Q&A.
Forums are best at discussion / "check out my mod" sort of posts.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

LordPhyre wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 23:29
In addition to IRCs being ugly
This 100% depends on the client you use. IRC is just a protocol and not and application. It also provides the necessary features to share files like audio and video.

Look and feel like your favorite modern messaging service, encryption for individual messages, TLS-encryption for the connection, direct messages without the server even knowing, all this stuff is absolutely possible using IRC only. The problem is: no-one bothers developing a modern client having all the fancy stuff and UX so it remains as "this one text chat thing from the Nineties".

LordPhyre

by LordPhyre » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 08:49
The problem is: no-one bothers developing a modern client having all the fancy stuff and UX so it remains as "this one text chat thing from the Nineties".
Exactly. Because people moved on. Some people don't even know what IRC is, so I believe that its outdated, obsolete, and nobody save the OG minority will use it.