Is there any free server hosting

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

Is there any free server hosting

by Tim790 » Post

that gives the person hosting full control, can change the game/mods and any time?
Yeet.

Mineminer

Re: Is there any free server hosting

by Mineminer » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 23:53
that gives the person hosting full control, can change the game/mods and any time?
It's generally not viable for the person/business to be providing this due to the obvious factors which are recurring.

Instead of focusing on "free" services, try to focus on what can be given in return. You don't always need to "pay" with your wallet after all.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

In case you do have $0 budget for hosting the only real option I can see is to host it in your own computer at home. There's a thread for this here.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 03:22
In case you do have $0 budget for hosting the only real option I can see is to host it in your own computer at home. There's a thread for this here.
Even that is not on the house when you really thinks about it. Unless of course your a child or something and your parent(s) pays for the electric, hardware, networking, internet, etc.

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Can't port foward.
Yeet.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 04:07
Blockhead wrote:
Even that is not on the house when you really thinks about it. Unless of course your a child or something and your parent(s) pays for the electric, hardware, networking, internet, etc.
Still probably cheaper than hosting services. More annoying, though, is that typically ISPs give you less upload bandwidth than download bandwidth (because the most common Internet use is WWW where you spend your time downloading stuff) but you need upload bandwidth the most in this case. Also some ISPs outright forbid you to run servers on this link (which is a bit silly; you can be a client and yet fully use both of your bandwidths 24/7 with e.g. video calls).

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Astrobe wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 18:26
Mineminer wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 04:07
Blockhead wrote:
Still probably cheaper than hosting services. More annoying, though, is that typically ISPs give you less upload bandwidth than download bandwidth (because the most common Internet use is WWW where you spend your time downloading stuff) but you need upload bandwidth the most in this case. Also some ISPs outright forbid you to run servers on this link (which is a bit silly; you can be a client and yet fully use both of your bandwidths 24/7 with e.g. video calls).
Not after accounting for ISP upgrades (as needed), hardware expenses (ya you don't need to replace RackMounts every 2 to 3 years for newer models but drives and other parts still fails after generally several years of operations), person's hours (e.g. if you work at $20/hr and you spend an hour every month with hardware/networking/cooling then you are expelling $20/month before the rest), etc.

I am pretty sure me, Edgy's and GSPs' services are MUCH cheaper once you ran these and other numbers (even that sliver of an additional loads on the A/C could be enough to cost you a fare bit more on the "DIY project").

severak
GitHub: severak
In-game: Severak

by severak » Post

I used to run my "localhost server" on OpenVPN. OpenVPN gives you three free slots (and other ppl can connect via LAN).

It ran, but it was somewhat annoying that I needed to be online in the same time as my friends so I actually migrated this world to linux server kindly borrowed from another friend.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

severak wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 00:17
I used to run my "localhost server" on OpenVPN. OpenVPN gives you three free slots (and other ppl can connect via LAN).
Why not simply use any random dynamic DNS provider? Most routers have a configuration options integrated already so you just need to set up the account and configure your router and then your connection is accessible from the outside. All you then need to do is forwarding the traffic from port 30000 to your system running the Minetest server.

No need for weird VPN fiddling.

severak
GitHub: severak
In-game: Severak

by severak » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 14:59
severak wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 00:17
Why not simply use any random dynamic DNS provider?
Because I am behind by provider's NAT. I have no public IP for my home computer.

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Nope. Likely you'll have to use a VPS or host yourself.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Komodo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25
Tim790 wrote:
Another option is to get a "shared" service. I myself offers this, Edgy, certain Game Service Providers (GSPs) and so forth are options.

They are typically MUCH more affordable for a more "inclusive" servicing than a comparable level of servicing, performance, etc on say a VPS/dedicated rentals.

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

I don't want to drag this out because the answer to OP's question is basically "no".

But do GSP's provide the ability to edit game files, edit services on the operating system, edit the .conf file? Most of the game panel services don't have Minetest and the ones that I've seen that did were really elementary and lacked the ability I needed to edit mods and configurations to the extent that I wanted. I still think a VPS of self-hosting is the best for someone who stated they are seeking full control and change the game/mods at any time.

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

There is a lack of good Minetest hosting services from what I've seen too but that is for another topic someday.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Komodo wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 01:40
I don't want to drag this out because the answer to OP's question is basically "no".

But do GSP's provide the ability to edit game files, edit services on the operating system, edit the .conf file? Most of the game panel services don't have Minetest and the ones that I've seen that did were really elementary and lacked the ability I needed to edit mods and configurations to the extent that I wanted. I still think a VPS of self-hosting is the best for someone who stated they are seeking full control and change the game/mods at any time.
I and a few GSPs does use Pterodactyl and this does gives you FULL control over the games, mods and it's .conf. Just not the docker container itself.

It's not as featured as I personally would likes it but it does give you the controls you NEED without making it difficult to operate and manage with say through conventional means.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 14:43
Komodo wrote:
Another option is to get a "shared" service.
Which is basically the same thing because usually a VPS is on a machine shared with many other VPSs running on a virtualization host (this is where the V is coming from).

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47
Mineminer wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 14:43
Komodo wrote:
Another option is to get a "shared" service.
Which is basically the same thing because usually a VPS is on a machine shared with many other VPSs running on a virtualization host (this is where the V is coming from).
That's like saying an Apartment is the same as a Townhouse when they are different "shared services".

You are incorrect actually as per above they might be shared at the "hardware" layer but not the same type of service.

A shared service entails that you are sharing the entirely of the servicing. Think as in website hosting, MySQL remote hosting and other services that you are sharing services with other clients with.

A VPS is just that a virtualized private server. Nothing more, nothing less.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 19:04
Think as in website hosting, MySQL remote hosting and other services that you are sharing services with other clients with.
This is usually done via some sort of virtualization or containerization. No-one on the right mind has different customers on the same database or uses the same httpd instance for serving different customer’s websites – even if it seemingly is the same service (i.e. same web interface for managing, etc.).

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 19:53
Mineminer wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 19:04
Think as in website hosting, MySQL remote hosting and other services that you are sharing services with other clients with.
This is usually done via some sort of virtualization or containerization. No-one on the right mind has different customers on the same database or uses the same httpd instance for serving different customer’s websites – even if it seemingly is the same service (i.e. same web interface for managing, etc.).
You are still sharing the underlying software and/or processes though. For example backing up, server level optimizations and security and so forth.

A shared service is just that, a service that is shared.

A VPS is a VIRTUALIZED SERVER to yourself, that's all it is and doesn't normally comes with anything elses (backups, optimizations, security, etc for the VPS itself and so on).

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Yeah, just stick with your definition of "shared services" then. From my daily work I can tell you it's wrong, though.