MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: Minetest in 2022

by MisterE » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 17:46
Another thing I would like is on-the-fly textures. For example, I would like to add Seasons, that would be super easy if you could change textures dynamically.

I think it's not difficult to implement.
you actually can change a texture's *color* dynamically.

Look at a node's paramtype2 'color' and 'colorfacedir'

That would make it very easy to color leaves according to the season

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

you would still have to use an abm or lbm to update it tho

runs

by runs » Post

MisterE wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 18:09
you would still have to use an abm or lbm to update it tho
Oh, cool. But not abm or lbm nor anyhing ended in *bm = DELAY.
It is better Node Timers.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I think it depends on how many blocks you need to process. Put enough node timers in an area and you will get serious lag.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

maybe its something to test: node timers vs abms vs lbms vs delayed globalstep with find_nodes in area: which is fastest

ITS-Dev

by ITS-Dev » Post

My goal for 2022 is to continue working on the role-playing game I'm creating with the Minetest engine and hopefully start posting video updates of new features and the expanding world by 2023.
Don't waste electricity. Would you like it if I turned you on and walked away?

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

ITS-Dev wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 22:50
My goal for 2022 is to continue working on the role-playing game I'm creating with the Minetest engine and hopefully start posting video updates of new features and the expanding world by 2023.
if you do have enough of it done to be playable, why not put your game up on git, and host a server or smth, to get feedback, generate interest, and maybe get some contributers?

ITS-Dev

by ITS-Dev » Post

MisterE wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 23:58
ITS-Dev wrote:
if you do have enough of it done to be playable, why not put your game up on git, and host a server or smth, to get feedback, generate interest, and maybe get some contributers?
1. Because it is MY game, not yours (and not to be picked apart, copy pasted into a clone).
2. I don't care about the feedback of others, I'm creating what I want to see in a game.
3. No, only I contribute to MY game. And where in my above post did I type that it was being released to the public to play?

This is a personal project of mine, all mods in ITS are coded by me. So tired of seeing games on the forums that just take a handful of existing mods, throw them into a folder and give the game a name. With a years worth of coding mods tailored to my game that don't exist anywhere on these forums, ITS is already light-years ahead as being a unique game.

My first post was in reply to runs who asked in their post "What will you be from minetest?" and I posted what I was doing in Minetest for 2022.

MisterE your reply to mine comes off as being a smart a$$, like you're talking down to me.. annoys me every time I read it. In future posts, I'd appreciate it if you would not reply to my posts. I just find you annoying in so many ways.

DELTA_FORCE
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

If you did all of that by yourself, why don't you keep your comments to yourself too?
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

ITS-Dev wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 21:57
MisterE wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 23:58
ITS-Dev wrote:
1. Because it is MY game, not yours (and not to be picked apart, copy pasted into a clone).
2. I don't care about the feedback of others, I'm creating what I want to see in a game.
3. No, only I contribute to MY game. And where in my above post did I type that it was being released to the public to play?

This is a personal project of mine, all mods in ITS are coded by me. So tired of seeing games on the forums that just take a handful of existing mods, throw them into a folder and give the game a name. With a years worth of coding mods tailored to my game that don't exist anywhere on these forums, ITS is already light-years ahead as being a unique game.

My first post was in reply to runs who asked in their post "What will you be from minetest?" and I posted what I was doing in Minetest for 2022.

MisterE your reply to mine comes off as being a smart a$$, like you're talking down to me.. annoys me every time I read it. In future posts, I'd appreciate it if you would not reply to my posts. I just find you annoying in so many ways.
I certianly was not trying to be 'smart'. I actually intended to make a helpful comment.

I was coming from the assumption that most people in this community believe in open code, and sharing their work. Which, I still believe is true, but I also see that I was wrong to make that assumption, and you're right, your code is yours.

I don't believe that people typically see a new project and promptly fork it. See nodecore and exile as examples. Usually, people that love a project are ready and eagar to contribute to it; they only fork it when it doesn't go the direction they want or development seems to have stopped, and they care enough about it to work on it themselves. in this community, people will only fork something because the love it.

anyhow, regarding unique games, I have produced a unique game, and it was public from the start. so have others. that is not to say that you are wrong or 'less than' for keeping your code private, but it does seem you harbor ill feelings towards the rest of us. I urge you to reconsider that ill will, but whatever.
Last edited by MisterE on Thu Jan 20, 2022 23:06, edited 3 times in total.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I interpreted MisterE to simply be going on the assumption that most people that post about Minetest-related games and projects in this forum, intend for those projects to be available to the public in some form -- either as a server or an open-source distribution.

Not sure why that would stir up so much antagonism given that this is a FOSS community first and foremost. Heck, I've had a lot of people bug me about releasing the source code to the Minetest S3 engine, and I just, say "Sorry, I'm a fraid don't have the time and energy to be able to manage a repository for it."

ITS-Dev

by ITS-Dev » Post

@MisterE, I accept that you intended to make a helpful comment. I was wrong, not you. Peace.

Edit: MisterE, if I ever do post on here again, feel free to reply to my posts. I won't mind.

@sorcerykid, I read what you typed. Peace.

@rubenwardy, in your PM to me you suggest that I "Please start with good faith in future, rather than jumping to assuming bad faith", message received. Peace.

@everyone else, I have way too much time invested in my game using the Minetest engine. I enjoy using the Minetest engine. I have been using the Minetest engine for a year now and I will continue to use the Minetest engine to finish my game and other projects. In hindsight, I wish that I didn't reply to runs question, but can't change the past and can only move forward. I wish you all nothing but good thoughts. I think this will be my last post on these forums and it's probably for the best. I was the only one who was wrong here. Peace.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

ITS-Dev wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 00:10
@MisterE, I accept that you intended to make a helpful comment. I was wrong, not you. Peace.

Edit: MisterE, if I ever do post on here again, feel free to reply to my posts. I won't mind.

thank you for making peace, and I, at least forgive you entirely, its forgotten.
everyone has bad days.
I hope you don't disappear from these forums, theres a place for everyone here, and you and us could both benefit from your presence. for example, answering and recieving answers on modding and engine questions, and if you are so disposed, teaser screenshots in the screenshots topic are always fun.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 07:49

This could become the number 1 selling point. Since Microsoft recently raised the height limit again (and I guess they will gradually continue doing so in the future) the argument of "but Minetest worlds are much higher" slowly shrinks.
Minetest's height limit is about 156 times higher that Minecraft's so this shouldn't be a concern.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

MHL wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 01:55
Minetest's height limit is about 156 times higher that Minecraft's so this shouldn't be a concern.
By the way. The Bedrock version of Minecraft already has ±30,000,000 in ALL DIRECTIONS. And this is only a soft limit.

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/World ... ck_Edition

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 04:25
MHL wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 01:55
By the way. The Bedrock version of Minecraft already has ±30,000,000 in ALL DIRECTIONS. And this is only a soft limit.

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/World ... ck_Edition
That's the entity height limit. You can only place blocks (nodes) from Y=-64 up to Y=320
EDIT: see Linuxdirk's comment
Last edited by MCL on Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

MHL wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 23:04
That's the entity height limit.
That are the soft limits for addressing positions (floats are funny the larger they get so they decided to cap it there). -64/+219 ist just an arbitrary limit set by Microsoft and no actual technical limitation. Building above and below would be easily possible if the values for the build limits were changed. The technical solution is already in place, it's just configuration.

With data packs (like mods and texture packs combined, but easier to handle and generally better and with more features) you can increase build height to +1024.

https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pa ... ks-1-18-1/

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

by jwmhjwmh » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 05:46
MHL wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 23:04
That's the entity height limit.
That are the soft limits for addressing positions (floats are funny the larger they get so they decided to cap it there). -64/+219 ist just an arbitrary limit set by Microsoft and no actual technical limitation. Building above and below would be easily possible if the values for the build limits were changed. The technical solution is already in place, it's just configuration.

With data packs (like mods and texture packs combined, but easier to handle and generally better and with more features) you can increase build height to +1024.

https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pa ... ks-1-18-1/
Do chunks still extend from the bottom of the world to the top? If so, there is a practical limit on the height of the world.

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 15:27
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 08:29
There are currently massive efforts taken to extend the world size. So I'm totally looking forward to see that happening. Unfortunately this currently has no official approval so all work on this could be useless if the usual people reject it due to "needs work".
I highly doubt that yet enough network breaking release would be popular in the user base, even if it allowed larger words and slower performance
***** 4.7 >>>> 5.00
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 02:45
Now when I think of it, what's the point of increasing world size?
supermassive 3d pixel art programatically generated also it could be used to add more dimensions (layered next to each other instead off ontop of each other )
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 15:06
Do chunks still extend from the bottom of the world to the top?
The “overall chunk” goes from the lowest addressable point up to the highest addressable point but it’s not loaded completely as a whole. Loading the “contents” of a chunk is done using subchunks of 16x16x16 blocks within that chunk.

https://wiki.vg/Bedrock_Edition_level_format

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

I plan in this year to fix bugs of my Real Elevators mod, then probably add new kinds of elevators. Also, make a continuation of Luxury Decor, a fully remade and extended its version (what I'm actively doing now). Luxury Decor will be declared as outdated. Probably something else, but I don't know for now.