Juanchi Idea: Blog

runs

Juanchi Idea: Blog

by runs » Post

Why is there no official blog?

I would like an official Minetest blog where core developers can post their progress, concerns and so on.

In Veloren they do it like that:
https://veloren.net/

But also I would like in ContentDB a section where we creators could interact more with our fans. The comment system seems a bit archaic to me. A blog-like section would be great.

I'm going to create a blog on TiddlyWiki where I'm going to tell about the development of my next game for kidz. Something unique and incredible.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: Juanchi Idea: Blog

by MisterE » Post

I too would like a blog. But like the new minetest podcast, this would require someone to dedicate a lot of time, longterm to be the blog writer and to solicit development updates from developers and modders. I dont have the time to take such a large responsibility on at this time.

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

I do this for MeseCraft and it's been great so far. I highly recommend it!

Example:
https://www.mesecraft.com/new-weather-effects/
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 00:07

I would like an official Minetest blog where core developers can post their progress, concerns and so on.
somehow there is some ... the minetest.git gives possible timeline ...
difficult to follow and get together some reasons why ... was done, or not

a blog might make it easier to find the glitch in some reasons ... as protocol change, incompatibility and others
I guess that would even not wanted ... more evidence of no based reasons ... oh no ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 00:58
runs wrote:

somehow there is some ... the minetest.git gives possible timeline ...
difficult to follow and get together some reasons why ... was done, or not

a blog might make it easier to find the glitch in some reasons ... as protocol change, incompatibility and others
I guess that would even not wanted ... more evidence of no based reasons ... oh no ...
When you launch your blog, Festus, you can call it the "Minetest Discontent DB" - A database of all your grievances :P
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 03:51
Festus1965 wrote:
runs wrote:
When you launch your blog, Festus, you can call it the "Minetest Discontent DB" - A database of all your grievances :P
One of this entries in my live would be the 3.1.2016 = joined mt
but make a blog as this is thought at first place and just try and fill the reason for the break from 0.4.17.1 to 5.x AND keep both versions alive ... that's enough to proof me

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

runs wrote:
SUPER Idea,
so we would know an idea, from beginning, and reasons to go for it, the main/wanted aim/destination to use the idea,

and if its reason and
if the purpose and maid program, change, mod etc.

ARE doing what as wanted ...
and all start parameter area also still there ... same to the startoptions

example:
change of protocol and leave 0.4 behind, incompatible
* idea
* reason
* and solutions
* and thoughts about want to keep old incompatible or close it ... if there WHERE any thoughts about this
to make sure, we don't run wrong, or miss the destination/reason ... whatever was wanted to get

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
To prevent glitching out your server make sure that your server runs an up-to-date Minetest version and not some outdated code or commercial fork *scnr*

On-topic: I remember a discussion about an official blog some time ago, even back then Veloren as game-related dev blog was mentioned (along with the Godot dev blog as example for an engine-related blog).

If I remember correctly the main reason for not having a blog was that there are simply no people in the team who are willing to run a blog or not having the time/knowledge for doing so. It was also questioned WHAT to have on the blog. Copy&Paste changelogs from the wiki or dumping Git output is just boring and no-one cares. And for 1-2 releases a year setting up a blog software is simply unnecessary.

runs

by runs » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 09:01
Festus1965 wrote:
To prevent glitching out your server make sure that your server runs an up-to-date Minetest version and not some outdated code or commercial fork *scnr*

On-topic: I remember a discussion about an official blog some time ago, even back then Veloren as game-related dev blog was mentioned (along with the Godot dev blog as example for an engine-related blog).

If I remember correctly the main reason for not having a blog was that there are simply no people in the team who are willing to run a blog or not having the time/knowledge for doing so. It was also questioned WHAT to have on the blog. Copy&Paste changelogs from the wiki or dumping Git output is just boring and no-one cares. And for 1-2 releases a year setting up a blog software is simply unnecessary.
Simple notes = Digital Garden = Concept of draft, ideas not academical posts.
https://maggieappleton.com/garden-history

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I have considered many times about making a blog sort of thing about my work because I really like sharing what I'm working on with other people. The only thing that has prevented me is that no one really seems to care. I get the impression that very few people really read entirely through long posts I've made in the past, so I'd rather not use my time unless people actually read it.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

vrob I think the idea here is not to make a personal development blog, but to make a general minetest development blog that follows minetest engine dev, minetest game dev, and minetest mod dev, as well as some popular servers now and then. much as how veloren has a weekly update to community improvements, and describes who is working on what

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 09:01
Festus1965 wrote:
Most wrong answer I ever seen, as with 'glitch' I mean here wrong and false reasons of changes on mt versions, that made no sense or was never told to hide something went wrong ?

As still 0.4.17 servers are in the list, the solution NEW up-to-date is NOT the solution as every day proofed wrong, haha

And remember the 5.0 with 5.0.1 followed soon after as 5.0 had a problem ??? haha or was it 5.1, or 5.2 or 5.3 or 5.4 as with 5.5 funny I was able to open 5.2 world again after it didn't work with 5.3 and 5.4 ???

For all this things a blog would be really nice to remember WHY some changes was implemented and to remember that to see later if that reason and solution was wright at the end.

And so again:
In this case would be nice to know what was the main reason to chance and incompatible protocol from 0.4 to 5.x and if it was meant to leave 0.4 active and set the reason for split up mt in 2 groups ... what is for me main reason for success for mc now.
And if they ever think how to repair this issue and reunion all mt again or be lost.

Did the devs realize the possible problems of
* people didn't trust 5.x
* 5.x is not spreading on mobile phones that fast
* 5.x seam to use much more recources on mobile ?
* maybe have to want to close support to 0.4.x even with stop listing that servers to keep ONE actual software to develope
* see the problems of mod programming then for 2 versions ?
* missed to see that some day a smarter programmer fixes them together and overtake them (mc)
... more and more