At what point do you determine that an entity is more efficient than particles?

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

At what point do you determine that an entity is more efficient than particles?

by 0siribix » Post

So I have a rejuvenated inspiration to work on a permissions framework to hopefully replace current protection mods and what I'm looking at right now is how to display visual markers to show the area being modified. I know how to do this with an entity like areas and protector but I wanted to try to send the visuals to only the relevant player. So I'm creating particles at the corners of all node borders around the edges (maximum of 20 ^ 2 * 6 = 2400). I understand this is expensive and for single or a few players, obviously one entity would be cheaper.

I'm not so sure about when there are many players though? What if there are 50 players online? Is there a way for me to measure this? Does anyone have other suggestions to display the borders of a cuboid?

My first idea was to create particle spawners but I had the particles animated and I had 24 spawners (all 4 directions of each border plane) which was too heavy. I guess maybe I could tone it down to 6 spawners with static textures and see how that looks?

Current implementation
Spoiler