Question about licences when modifying existing game/mods

swk072

Question about licences when modifying existing game/mods

by swk072 » Post

Hello, this is my first time in a forum, sorry if this topic is in the wrong place...

I have a modified version of two games that only work in 0.4.x versions, and I made a changes in it to be "playable" in newer versions, 5.x.

I made this changes to be able to play in android for my kid (he still doesn't handle the computer well..),

The point here is, I have this two modified version, and maybe someone are interested in it, but I don't know how to proceed with Licenses, if I have to left the same Licence file without touching, if I have to add some information in it, or something else...

I want to keep the same licenses..

Last, I'm not a programmer, I just changed errors in the debug file in all *.lua files and in some cases I added a little lines to solve some errors that not work properly,

Thank you,

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

Re: Question about licences when modifying existing game/mods

by ROllerozxa » Post

Generally you should be able follow all open source licenses if you simply keep the same license in your fork and keep the attribution to the original creator, whether it be a permissive MIT-like license or more stricter GPL licenses. (Not legal advice, and there are exceptions - the Apache license for instance requires you to rename the project to a new unique name for your fork)

For more information, there is a website called choosealicense.com which describes what most open source licenses actually mean. Here is an overview of the most common ones and what they mean.

swk072

Re: Question about licences when modifying existing game/mods

by swk072 » Post

Thank you ROllerozxa, I will check it