Minetest just made the news, well sort of :)

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Minetest just made the news, well sort of :)

by sorcerykid » Post

Check out this article that just showed up in my Google News feed. The author suggests that Minetest is currently the leading open-source alternative to Minecraft. Even if the long-term goal may be to distance the Minetest project from "Minecraft", I think we can all agree this is still a pretty noteworthy accomplishment.

https://itsfoss.com/minetest/

"Back in 2009, Minecraft was introduced to the world. Since then, it has become a cultural phenomenon. In that time period, several developers have released open-source games with similar ideas and mechanics. Today, we will look at one of the biggest ones: Minetest."

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Minetest just made the news, well sort of :)

by sfan5 » Post

It kinda falls short of mentioning the engine aspect (which admittedly the engine itself doesn't do a good job of), but more exposure is always good.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Burkhaalt

by Burkhaalt » Post

A lot of people seem to neglect mentioning that Minetest is meant as an engine and not just a minecraft "clone". The engine is effectively a sandbox users can use for their own ends. While they say it's been used for education that makes it sound more like Minecraft edu edition rather than a separate thing from Minetest base entirely

That's a chill article, wish it went more into the modding scene tho

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

I suspect the reason the review lacks any real mention of modding is due in parts to:
  1. Minetest is not very good at communicating the current community Zeitgeist of 'Minetest is an engine not a game' from inside the actual game.
  2. Not playing Multiplayer. I mean who actually runs a server with a base game without mods? Pretty much only people running a server for a lesser-known game in order to provide the community with a server for it rather than having 0 servers for that game.
  3. Lack of time to complete a proper review, or lack of interest to complete one due to not being an avid block game player.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

I had that one show up for me too. Thought it was exciting but it's personalized for us. But I hope it made it to some other demographics too!
Fun nonetheless though!
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB