Community fundraising for new i3 theming

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

Community fundraising for new i3 theming

by jp » Post

Hi,

I need the help of the community to finance an artistic project on the popular mod, i3.

I asked Zughy, the author of Soothing 32 (most popular Minetest texture pack) to make a new (optional) pixel-art theme for i3. The discussion is here.

Zughy is a fervent community member and a talented professional artist. They're willing to make this theme, up to the top-standards of this mod. There is no better person to do this. We only need 250€ ($250) to start this work. It is worth every cent.

I'm willing to put 50€ in the basket and every contributor will be thanked in the i3 mod.

Bringing a new great theme to i3 only depend on your support.

My PayPal is here: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/jpg84240

runs

Re: Community fundraising for new i3 theming

by runs » Post

jp wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 21:46
Hi,

I need the help of the community to finance an artistic project on the popular mod, i3.

I asked Zughy, the author of Soothing 32 (most popular Minetest texture pack) to make a new (optional) pixel-art theme for i3. The discussion is here.

Zughy is a fervent community member and a talented professional artist. They're willing to make this theme, up to the top-standards of this mod. There is no better person to do this. We only need 250€ ($250) to start this work. It is worth every cent.

I'm willing to put 50€ in the basket and every contributor will be thanked in the i3 mod.

Paying for some textures for a mod? Which would then be released, but paying first. This is totally against the Open Source philosophy.

If it is to be done, let it be done for free. Minetest is free and everything is free.

...Money taints everything...

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Free software is about the freedom not about taking everything you want for free. Many people ask for donations, like I can see your Ko-fi, but most of them are not given with a goal, and just expected to just generally thank the contributor. In this case instead the donations have a specific goal and a specific € amount, which gives people more reasons to donate, not less. A donation goal incentivises people to give what they can towards the goal, possibly more than otherwise, because they know what they will see out of out. Which means more free software work will get done, because we live in a capitalist society in which people are motivated by money and not just some ideal of social benefits.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

runs wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 00:37
jp wrote:
Hi,

Paying for some textures for a mod? Which would then be released, but paying first. This is totally against the Open Source philosophy.

If it is to be done, let it be done for free. Minetest is free and everything is free.

Ironic coming from someone with Shopz in their sig.
runs, its ok to pay people for labor and products. No one is forced to pay if they dont want to.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

runs

by runs » Post

Komodo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 04:04
runs wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 00:37
jp wrote:
Hi,

Ironic coming from someone with Shopz in their sig.
runs, its ok to pay people for labor and products. No one is forced to pay if they dont want to.
Shop as a accessory thing. Not related at all.

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

You could sell your accessories for free.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Sent my support :)

It was a small part of the goal but I am all in to support FOSS and hope it helps!
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

Thank you very much for your support, ronoaldo and Robert S. (can you tell me who you are in the community?).

So far, I have collected 38€ (+50€ from my pocket) out of 250€. There is still 162€ to collect to pay Zughy.

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

jp wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 22:22
Thank you very much for your support, ronoaldo and Robert S. (can you tell me who you are in the community?).

So far, I have collected 38€ (+50€ from my pocket) out of 250€. There is still 162€ to collect to pay Zughy.
Im Rob S, JP :)

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

jp wrote:

You're welcome! I'm [Rr]onoaldo mostly everywhere online =D
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

jp wrote:

I would donate, but not really comfortable with Paypal since it's not anonymous. I could donate some directly to Zughy via his Liberapay once we know it's going ahead.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

or, jp could set up a librepay account, which simply transfers 100% of the money to paypal IIRC