THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS

marc.tremblay

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS

by marc.tremblay » Post

Hey, I wanted say thanks for creating MineTest and MineClone2. Back in 2009 I purchased 2 real Java MC accounts from Mojang and played MC for hundreds and hundreds of hours over the last decade and now that I have kids I purchased 2 more Java MC accounts so we could all play together as a family on our locally hosted Java MC server. We never ever went online, in realms or anywhere else than on our LAN. When they forced us to switch to Microsoft account this winter of 2022, 2 out of our 4 accounts immediately locked us out for having "violated" their terms and they requested personal information such as my phone number, which Mojang never asked me in 12 years.

When I see talented people like you guys make that MC clone (and available for free) I cannot find the words to describe how a relief this is to this sad, soulless corporate world we live in. Microsoft employees should be ashamed for what they did to the MC community by shutting down thousands and thousands of accounts for no reason. Their recent update revealed that they're spying on all MC chats and their F'ed up AI auto-suspends accounts when it THINKS you're swearing/bullying/some-dumb-unfounded-reason in chat, that's completely unacceptable! Just the fact that they spy on you while you play on your LAN is enough to make me never buy a single Microsoft product ever again. I will be moving to Linux soon (already use and love RPi's and got 2 Manjaro Linux laptops hooked to our TV's too and I love them) and I won't be coming back to Windows ever. It's this, or I go to Apple, but I'm not sure just yet. I guess MineClone will work on any of those, correct? :)

Thanks again for making MineClone 2 and please keep improving it. The instantaneous INTEGRATED SERVER feature is so much more convenient than real MC's too! So simple.

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

Re: THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS

by cx384 » Post

Welcome to the world of open source software. :)

marc.tremblay wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12
I guess MineClone will work on any of those, correct? :)
Correct
Can your read this?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Note that Minetest currently can have some pretty bad bugs on Mac, so MineClone might be unplayable unless you're lucky.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

marc.tremblay wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12
When they forced us to switch to Microsoft account this winter of 2022, 2 out of our 4 accounts immediately locked us out for having "violated" their terms and they requested personal information such as my phone number
Putting asside being locked out of a paid game unless you provide a phone, the sheer dishonesty here is so irritating, twitter pulls this shit too. If new accounts require a phone number because you have a bot problem and don't want to staff a helpdesk, don't send people to a page telling them they violated ToS somehow or their behaviour has broken community standards, how hard is it to just be up front that your system wants a phone number before trusting a new account, and not make people think they've been marked of a crime they didn't commit.

to sidetrack further, I also had to convert many Minecraft accounts, here's what I learned (YMMV):
  • If your Mojang account uses an email address that is not already in use with a Microsoft account, you are golden, do not create a Microsoft account first. Upgrade your Mojang account into an MS account via minecraft.net and Mojang creates the new MS account for you and bypasses the need for a phone number, and being scolded about your behaviour. (a marc.tremblay comment below suggests this was just very coincidental with my conversions)
  • If you have multiple Minecraft accounts, and need to unlock your MS accounts, you can use the same phone number for up to 5 MS accounts before they'll start treating you like a criminal again.
  • Something in the Minecraft game itself was lost (a soul?) as it morphed into an over polished juiced popping everything-animated focusgroup-tested multi billion-dollar corporate asset.
  • The reason none of the new music is C418 is almost certainly because MS insists on works made for hire where they will own the full copyrights. (Notch got rights from C418 to use the music written for the game, with C418 retaining the copyrights)
/rant
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Wed Jul 20, 2022 00:58, edited 2 times in total.

runs

by runs » Post

I hate Mineclone with all my strength. Let's see, I want to clear it up before you jump on me.

There is this list of the best opensource linux games:

https://www.slant.co/topics/1933/~best- ... urce-games

Minetest appears in the top. But if you check 80% of the games are clones of other successful and copyrighted games. Battle for Wesnoth may be one of the few that are not. But for example 0AD is a clone of Age of Empires, but much better, it's a wonderful game. Minetest Game is a clone of Minecraft, no matter how much people say that Minetest is an engine and blah blah blah.

That Mineclone is the best and top of the minetets games saddens me a lot:

- Copying is not good. Because it is easy to copy already something good. Because what is copied is copyrighted. Because copying a live project means that you have to copy or imitate everything that comes out new.
- Where is the originality, the good ideas, the talent?

Of course Mineclone is great and HAS ALL THE RIGHT TO EXIST, I don't hate it for itself, but for what it implies, I don't know if I can be understood. Something that just tries to imitate something else. It's like the Mona Lisa replicas they sell in the Louvre store. They look cool, but it's not the same.

I love the concepts of Veloren and Hytale, they are RECREATIONS, not copies.

If Minetets pretends to be a copy of Minecraft it's on the wrong track. And it will never get rid of the inferiority complex it has.

I have a copy of Minecraft, it cost me 13 euros, in an offer, super cheap. And it's a great game. I think for that price, I think now 19,99 euros is accessible to everyone. I don't play it lately, but I love it.

If I play Minetest it's because I want something different, new and original. Because for Minecraft, I already have Minecraft.

In short: If you like Minecraft, buy Minecraft, it's cheap, it's beautiful and it works very well.

marc.tremblay

by marc.tremblay » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:24
I hate Mineclone with all my strength.
OK well what are you doing here making a page long rant about it? Go play MC and leave us alone then? You want to know "Where is the originality, the good ideas, the talent?" I'll tell you straight off the bat that the ONE CLICK server hosting feature is INCREDIBLY refreshing, compared to MC Java server. It's what MC couldn't achieve in 13 years, with the help of over 600 paid employees, btw.
runs wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:24
In short: If you like Minecraft, buy Minecraft, it's cheap, it's beautiful and it works very well.
Too bad I bought FOUR (4) copies of MC and 2 of them were immediately blocked after being forced to move to a Microsoft account. Too bad I spent weeks with support trying to get them to unblock my PAID accounts without success. I will never, ever buy a single more Microsoft product. Too bad you think it "works" when really for thousands of players, it doesn't anymore, and for no good reason, except that they force customers to give them personal information, which is truely the technology cancer we've unsuspectingly been growing lately. Poor children who will grow up in this mess. Big Brother will be watching over them constantly.

marc.tremblay

by marc.tremblay » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 05:12
I also had to convert many Minecraft accounts, here's what I learned (YMMV):
  • If your Mojang account uses an email address that is not already in use with a Microsoft account, you are golden, do not create a Microsoft account first. Upgrade your Mojang account into an MS account via minecraft.net and Mojang creates the new MS account for you and bypasses the need for a phone number, and being scolded about your behaviour. (I think - perhaps this was just very coincidental for me)
No, this is already what we had here for the 4 accounts and half of them locked still. We used non-Hotmail, non-Outlook emails a decade ago with Mojang and there were no Microsoft account tied to those emails, so it's definitely not a factor here. Also, ain't that funny that they shut your account down because of your online behavior when none of us ever played outside of our LAN? Yes, a LOCAL AREA NETWORK, you know, without ever leaving our house network? XD Microsoft is so clueless it's scary.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thank for for your praise on MineClone 2. :-)
I did a bulk of the work for this years ago, but since then others have taken over this project successfully because I grew sick of just re-implementing features like a robot, and I wanted to do something new and unique, and especially use my own ideas. I still think it it's nice to have a direct FOSS Minecraft redo, but I also like to stress that this should never be the only thing that Minetest stands for.

My own current projects are Repixture (playable) and Hades Revisited (WIP). Both are forks of long-abandoned projects.

If you like Minetest, you should check out the various other games in it, and also the servers. An absolute must-visit server is Inside the Box.

I agree the latest aggressive changes that MS has done to MC in the past are absolutely awful. It's just a power grab. It's not really surprising, tho, this is just the logical consequence of MC being proprietary software, which it always was. Proprietary software THE fertile ground for power abuse in software, and to force things that NO USER wants. They do it because they can, and users have to suck it up. That's why I'm a huge free software supporter, because this kind of abuse is much harder to do in free software like Minetest. I don't pay a dime to Microsoft, Apple, or any other proprietary software corporation because I don't want to support this abuse.

Helen Pixels

by Helen Pixels » Post

The worst thing Mojang ever did was partner up with Microsoft. You certainly shouldn't need a Microsoft account for running anything other than a Windows app on any platform other than Windows PC. I'm not anti-Microsoft, my computer is Windows 10, but I find it annoying that I have to link to my Microsoft account on the Nintendo Switch if I want to use the Minecraft Marketplace, even if I am just browsing the free stuff, not that there is a lot of it.

I do think though that Microsoft have made some questionable changes to the way servers are policed, which includes people being banned from all servers permanently because someone complained about something they said. I think it should be down to the people actually running a server to decide what is and isn't allowed and how to deal with people who violate those rules.

If Mojang aren't careful, Microsoft could potentially put the game into a slow death spiral by making stupid decisions which are not in line with what the community actually want. Which is a shame considering that Minecraft was the first game of it's kind.

I'm starting to prefer Minetest anyway to be honest, more variety, more interesting biomes available with the mods (loving ethereal, for one).

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Welcome to the Open Source world, indeed! I have purchased Minecraft Java as well to play with my three kids, and also mobile version before that. Modding and hosting on Minecraft is so painful, that once I saw how ridiculously simple it was to accomplish the same (and much more!) on Minetest I could not believe it!

I host a server for over a year now, I keep it civil with the help of some moderators and other parents. It is not English focused but it has a big (perhaps too big) list of mods and a lot of fun and exploration to do. Lookup for Mercurio on Server List; if you plan to play with your kids let me know so I can try to bring mine too :)

Hope you enjoy the community as well! It is one of the best things about Open Source! As everything on the internet, you may hear/read some unpleasant comments. Don't get scared, as the Minetest community and developers are amazing folks to stay along with.
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

As other people said before me, welcome to the free software world :) I hope you'll have a good time in here!

displaced777

by displaced777 » Post

It turns out I'm not the only one like that. I had been playing MC (Mojang) since I was 16 y.o. (year 2012).

I remember back then I used my father's old office laptop and had to install Optifine to make it playable.
Had to play in a small window because laptop was so slow that it could not handle running it in 720p. But I was really loving the game. Back then I had iPad 1st gen (2010 model). I purchased Minecraft PE and also installed it on my iPhone 5. When I was in a school we were playing this game on my phone with my classmates, that was so fun. I was always the person who played local game, only sometimes I joined to play with my friends online (it was some pre-M$ invite system, can't remember what it was but it worked really good). Times changed, I entered uni and I purchased an iPad Air 2 - a very fast tablet back then, it somehow handled the distance of 64 chunks.

Then Markus sold the company to M$ (by the way, he also does not like what Minecraft is nowadays). And this became the start of an end. First it was these flying dragons that were attacking you if you don't sleep for 3 nights in a row, each update made the game slower and slower on my iPad, I was literally lowering the draw distance and graphics settings each time I installed the new update to make it at least 30 FPS (lol, how can it be if the graphics are the same?), then it was this "aqua update" with all those new water physics, caves and drowned with tridents. But my patience was finally crushed when I saw all these stalactites, stalagmites and "deep caves" - I decided I stop playing this game, it is no more the game I was used to love and play.

I was crushed and depressed by the fact that my favourite game does not exist anymore. So I started to search for alternative. On the AppStore for Mac I found "MultiCraft". At first I didn't realise it was a mod, but then I saw a disclaimer: "game is based on MineTest engine". Then I found this gem! I literally can't stop playing! Gives so much nostalgia... These stock textures are so beautiful, this vibe, the simplicity. I dream one day MineTest will be also available for iOS, not only on PC and Mac.

I would also like to thank to all the people who made MineTest. YOU ARE THE BEST!
Just as I get my new job I will donate to support the development of this game.
I really can't believe its totally free, without spyware, viruses, trackers (like in Mojangs/M$ version).

This is more than a game for me. Its an antidepressant without any side effects. I really thank you all for making block building gaming great again!

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

I guess I should say I've been reading this thread.

You're welcome!

Icalasari
IRC: Icalasari
In-game: Icalasari

by Icalasari » Post

displaced777 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 19:49
First it was these flying dragons that were attacking you if you don't sleep for 3 nights in a row
Oh screw Phantoms so hard. I used to dislike how light Minetest_game is on features, but stuff like that made me appreciate it more

Sure, it's bare bones

But that lets you make the game your own