What is missing in MineTest.....

LoneWolf

What is missing in MineTest.....

by LoneWolf » Post

Wright what you think is needed in minetest...
(Owner Of Saren Estates) Veteran Builder Add Me On FaceBook... https://www.facebook.com/randy.hammond.336

Nexdah

by Nexdah » Post

The lack of people that can spell Write in the correct place.

Just Sayin'
This is a Signature.

First ever Astronaut in Minetest.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

We need better sky islands! The ones we have currently are generated due to glitches, but they are actually nice places, if you have the time to extend the land and make a stone foundation for them. What would be nice is, sky islands that have more of a broad surface, and sometimes even their own biomes. And lakes/streams, of which the larger islands can have small mountains with springs near the top, nestled in a forest on the side. And, water streams flowing downward at +1000 Y or higher disintegrate at the bottom as to simulate that the water is being ''evaporated by gravity'' as it falls off the sky islands. So that we can have a skysea and not have to worry about the Underworld (surface land, not hell) having a 3-foot thick layer of water everywhere.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Minetest should be more like a RPG.
There should be:
  • Animals in the default game
  • Mobs in the default game
  • Farming in the default game
  • More Ores in the default game
  • Particles in the deafult game
  • Better sound and music in the default game
  • Flowing water that can push the player (in the default game)
Hmm... when I look at all these points it seems to me like Minecraft.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

People who have intelligence and know how to fix problems.

We be lacking.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Post

part of the problem here is that different things are lacking different things...

minetest, the engine lacks not only people who work with core code. it also lacks a decent game.
- maintainer / code contribution
- bugs: for example texture memory leaks
- features: for example like adam said, push the player
minetest_game lacks direction: see suggestions above.

also mods / games need unentangling. some mods have a lot of common ground and it would be good to make modding libraries for all mods/games to use, examples are biomes, path finding and movement, 3d helpers obviously

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Post

I think some mods (like carts, ambience, moreores, nature, animatedtorches, particles etc.) should be by default merged with default minetest_game. At least these, that are kind of stable and do not cause problems.

EDIT: And those mods, which cause problems, especially the "animals" mod for mobs, should be fixed and also merged with default minetest_game ;).

EDIT 2: And we should make a vote on which mods to merge in the default game ;).
Last edited by Phitherek_ on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Phitherek_ wrote:I think some mods (like carts, ambience, moreores, nature, animatedtorches, particles etc.) should be by default merged with default minetest_game. At least these, that are kind of stable and do not cause problems.

EDIT: And those mods, which cause problems, especially the "animals" mod for mobs, should be fixed and also merged with default minetest_game ;).
The cart mod does slow down the game a lot. So c55 wont add it to default (i think).
Ambience has many sound files wich cause a long connecting time.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

You can always put the mods you like together and release a game, similar to minetest_game.

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Post

I think it needs default mobs, and default cooking. Doors and beds would be nice too.
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Post

As i said in EDIT 2, I think we need a vote for mods that should be added to default game.
---
Posted by Phitherek_

tonyka

by tonyka » Post

I think better editing default game is good ...
but first we have to improve a lot on the engine ...
There are many things you can do with lua, but we must not forget that this is generated in an extra layer of process ...
many functions operate between 40 and 50% faster and better in c + +
and one of them is the support code from mod animals ... the ideal would be to implement their functions in c + + to call a lua ...
also have to fix a lot of things in the graphics engine ...
for example, the alpha channel of the textures, only recognizes two levels, visible or invisible, and if you apply textures super position as minerals and texture has a alpa with various shades of gray, the texture background becomes transparent in a range of 1 to 50% of gray alpha...
Jordach wrote:People who have intelligence and know how to fix problems.
I would say:

people with knowledge to solve problems

Lussy my puppy is very intelligent and not knows how to create code ...
but barks when the owner comes to collect ... XD
Last edited by tonyka on Thu Aug 30, 2012 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
My mod: [MOD]3D Forniture 1.0
Download: 3DForniture_v_1.0.zip
Page development (European Castilian):
Moviliario 3D (proyecto 3D Forniture)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

There are quite a few good mods around. Collecting them all takes some time. Might it be possible to bundle most of them from time to time into a single download and integrate an option into the game itself to turn each mod on and off? A simple textfile like depends.txt in the form worlds/MyWorld/use_mods.txt might do - with a "*" for "use all mods installed" and maybe "-modname" for "do not use mod modname".

Another big problem is connecting to servers. It took me some time to find one where the protocol versions where just one number apart - installing the newest minetest version helped :-) On that server I found someone who had a similar problem. Most servers are either offline or use a diffrent protocol version.
A list of my mods can be found here.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Sokomine wrote:There are quite a few good mods around. Collecting them all takes some time. Might it be possible to bundle most of them from time to time into a single download and integrate an option into the game itself to turn each mod on and off? A simple textfile like depends.txt in the form worlds/MyWorld/use_mods.txt might do - with a "*" for "use all mods installed" and maybe "-modname" for "do not use mod modname".

Another big problem is connecting to servers. It took me some time to find one where the protocol versions where just one number apart - installing the newest minetest version helped :-) On that server I found someone who had a similar problem. Most servers are either offline or use a diffrent protocol version.
A mod manager would be better. see http://tinyurl.com/mtmdfrm

(the links at the bottom of the post, to the mod managers)
Last edited by rubenwardy on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Tool Sets need balancing. I feel that's missing.

Not as in 'pick axe should work faster on stone', that's alright.

What I mean is you shouldn't be able to collect wood from a tree with a shovel or pick axe. Shovel is required to collect clay, Pick Axe is required to collect cobble. Possibly in a fixed mob future, you should only collect meat from a cow by slaying it with a sword.

This'll give the tool sets as a whole more balance.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Yes!

Rickmor

by Rickmor » Post

enchants in the default world and thats for sure

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

No, please no enchants. The tools we have are good enough without adding some obscure properties to them. If you need a tool that's is faster, deals more damage, or lasts longer or whatever, then a mod should be made with tools bearing those properties (in fact there are lots of mods that in total add dozens, maybe hundreds of tools.)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Josh

by Josh » Post

We need some more gameplay improvements or is celeron55 waiting till the engine is all good first?
It would be cool to see some basic mobs just to make the game more intresting (we could implement sapiers animals mod)
moreores would be cool
TNT would be helpful not sure which one would be best Pilzadam's TNT o Sfan5's Nuke mod?
Flint and steel would be good to light fire
& there is many more thing's we could do we will just have to wait & see what happpen's

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Josh wrote:We need some more gameplay improvements or is celeron55 waiting till the engine is all good first?
It would be cool to see some basic mobs just to make the game more intresting (we could implement sapiers animals mod)
moreores would be cool
TNT would be helpful not sure which one would be best Pilzadam's TNT o Sfan5's Nuke mod?
& there is many more thing's we could do we will just have to wait & see what happpen's
WARNING!!! SPOILER!!!
c55 wants to add a TNT mod to upstream, that is based on my TNT mod.

Josh

by Josh » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Josh wrote:We need some more gameplay improvements or is celeron55 waiting till the engine is all good first?
moreores would be cool
WARNING!!! SPOILER!!!
c55 wants to add a TNT mod to upstream, that is based on my TNT mod.
Cool! now all we need is a few more improvement's. Like animal's and moreore's and we will have a decent
minecraft alternative that will continue to grow with it's exciting community & gameplay!

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Post

What it also lack is people that post things in the correct area.

This topic should be on General because its general talk about minetest not in Minetest related projects because we aren't doing any projects related to minetest.
part of the problem here is that different things are lacking different things...
minetest, the engine lacks not only people who work with core code. it also lacks a decent game.
- maintainer / code contribution
- bugs: for example texture memory leaks
- features: for example like adam said, push the player
minetest_game lacks direction: see suggestions above.
also mods / games need unentangling. some mods have a lot of common ground and it would be good to make modding libraries for all mods/games to use, examples are biomes, path finding and movement, 3d helpers obviously
That is what it lacks, more strongly experienced c++ programmers that are willing to help celeron55 with the engine.

richardmv

by richardmv » Post

I'm a decent self-taught C++ coder, with some OpenGL and Direct3D experience (although both of those are quite limited). I might not be able to hold my own with everyone, but I can definitely look through code and figure out what it does and how it works and then tinker with it ^_^.

I think I'm going to make a thread (if there isn't one already) dedicated to ideas that will further distance MineTest from MineCraft. I have one or two, and I'm sure lots of other players have thought of things they'd like to see in a miner-sim that haven't been addressed. Also, there's lots of ideas from other games that could be combined in unique ways to improve upon the "competition".

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Hi richardmv, welcome to the community. Its great to get new people with c++ experience who are keen to contribute.