Operation Helsinki?

runs

Operation Helsinki?

by runs » Post

It was all planned when the Queen of England, Elizabeth II died, down to the millimeter for decades.

That got me thinking, what if celeron were to die, god keep him for years to come, but I'm not even safe from being hit by a truck tomorrow.

I don't know if you remember, but about two years ago the forums crashed, and it turns out he had them at home with no backup.

There was talk of decentralizing the hard core of Minetest a bit. I would like to know if anything was done.

- Would the servers be safe from a catastrophe? A fire for example. I mean everything, forums, ContentDB, etc.
- The github keys, the access, would be lost?
- It seems that rubewardy controls ContentDB, but if one day he retires from Minetest or gets bored, what would happen?
- Is there a second man, a successor for celeron? rubenwardy? me? :-D

- In short, there is a Helsinki operation even a minimum?

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: Operation Helsinki?

by LMD » Post

What you're referring to is called the Bus factor. The bus factor of Minetest currently probably is ~1. Perhaps your thread would have attracted better responses if you had not given it the cryptic name of "Operation Helsinki".
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

Re: Operation Helsinki?

by ROllerozxa » Post

Rubenwardy has admin access to the Minetest GitHub organisation, and if I remember correctly he also has minetest.net DNS access. That would probably be enough to make the show go on in the (hopefully very unlikely) case celeron55 meets his end as our overseer anytime soon.

Nobody needs to die for a cloud host's datacenter to go up in flames, but I hope forum backups are being done more frequently now. Rubenwardy makes frequent backups of ContentDB and according to the privacy policy, encrypted backups along with the keys are also distributed to the rest of the core team.