[Help] Known duplication bugs

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

[Help] Known duplication bugs

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi everyone, i'm currently administrating a school server where there are strict rules about duplication (not allowed - if discovered permaban).
Recently i noticed a raising amount of players getting rich in very short times in terms of blocks etc... I suspect that there is a duplication glitch going on but i still haven't figured out what it could be.
Any ideas? Are there any known duplication glitches/bugs?

Thanks everyone
OneUnitedPower

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: [Help] Known duplication bugs

by sfan5 » Post

That depends on the game and mods you are running.
As far as I know there are currently no duplication glitches in the engine itself or unmodded Minetest Game (perhaps with the exception if players have the ability to crash the server at will).
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 08:40
Hi everyone, i'm currently administrating a school server where there are strict rules about duplication (not allowed - if discovered permaban).
Recently i noticed a raising amount of players getting rich in very short times in terms of blocks etc... I suspect that there is a duplication glitch going on but i still haven't figured out what it could be.
Any ideas? Are there any known duplication glitches/bugs?

Thanks everyone
I have never seen any duplication bugs... Many players can craft these blocks Easy.

On my server i have shops where you can trade Ores/Mese/Diamond for Gold (currency) and they can use the Gold to buy blocks and other stuff.

Does any player have World Edit? ... Some players will give others blocks they find hard to get

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

sfan5 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 13:02
As far as I know there are currently no duplication glitches in the engine itself or unmodded Minetest Game (perhaps with the exception if players have the ability to crash the server at will).
We use some mods but i noticed that almost all the items are affected so it's a glitch that works with also modded stuff :(
OneUnitedPower

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

L-Dog wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 13:22
Does any player have World Edit? ... Some players will give others blocks they find hard to get
No only me and another admin have world_edit but the other admin doesn't log on since last month
OneUnitedPower

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 16:00
sfan5 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 13:02
We use some mods but i noticed that almost all the items are affected so it's a glitch that works with also modded stuff :(
i had a player called 'dal' - he surprised me by what blocks could craft

i have a player called bubbafrog and he surprised me at how he crafted a mini-gun before i even knew how to.

Theres some good players out there that will shock you, i thought they 'Hax' players and dupp'ed stuff... Check your debug.txt

also, these hacked clients can dupe items.. ban all hacked clients on sight - give them no mercy as they would give you none.. IP ban is best option for them

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

if it is a school server (and assuming the school district only allows stock minetest on computers in / from school ) the most likely cause is a exploit involving gravel sieves if you have them installed or maybe someone made a mine at y = -1000 where vast amounts of ores tend to spawn
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

We need your mod list. There are duplication bugs in some old versions of mods.

As far as I know, clientside duplication bugs do not persist to the server.

You could also go through your serverlogs and compare the number of mined ores with what you observed.

You could also just ask them. No accusations, just "hey, I noticed X. How come?"
Whatever I say is CC0

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Please, tell us what mods you use and what items were duplicated.

It can also happen that there is just an unbalanced recipe or a glitch in a mechanism which allow certain items to be produced easier than it's expected. Sometimes, it might not be even obvious whether it is an intentional feature or a glitch. So maybe you would actually like to thank the players for discovering the glitch so you can fix it. I would advise you not banning them at the point you find out they used the glitch but when you are sure that they intended to cheat.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

so far I remember there is one with technic, pipeworks or mesecon
Also on my server with before 5.2.0 and mods from that time, a view gamer was able to gain a lot of expensive blocks quite fast,
I didn't find out how
I just banned them as I see them not mining but selling items with high value a lot.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi everyone, sorry if I disapperead but i had RL life troubles.
I discovered what was the "problem": a player managed to get the password of one of the mods that had the grant privilege and just gave himself the privs necessary for using the /giveme command.
As a school server i decided to talk with the teacher who involved me with this project. The player got all of his items wiped and received a disciplinary punishment (iirc he got suspended for 2 days).
All the players that knew about him, i decided to ban them for 2 weeks abd to revoke all their non-essential privileges.
OneUnitedPower

lupara

by lupara » Post

i think it should be appreciated that the kids activ shape their own lives in vr worlds. it's a school, it should teach and promote skills. so you should try to build a relationship that is not based on fear of punishment, but on respect. it's about basic democratic values, like solidarity and respect for people would. it would be important here to convey the understanding of what is just and what is unjust. a good relationship with these hacker kidz is your advantage, because you can learn from them ;)

it's crucial to approach the situation with empathy and understanding. Building a positive relationship with "hacker kids" based on mutual respect and trust is key. Punishment may not always be the best approach; instead, encouraging open dialogue and guiding them towards responsible behavior can lead to a more constructive and harmonious server environment.

Approach the situation with empathy and understanding. Instead of resorting to punishment, try to establish open communication with the hacker kids. Build a relationship based on mutual respect and trust. Engage them in constructive conversations about their interests and skills. Encourage them to channel their talents into positive contributions to the server community, such as helping with server security or developing plugins. By offering guidance and support, you may be able to redirect their efforts toward productive and beneficial endeavors for the server and its players.

As a Minetest server administrator, the following professional development courses in education, pedagogy, formationsciences, or psychology could be beneficial:

Conflict Management and Communication Training: A course in conflict management and effective communication can help you handle challenging situations, whether it involves dealing with hacker kids or resolving conflicts within the server community. This includes the ability to address conflicts constructively and promote a positive communication culture.

Youth Psychology and Developmental Psychology: Understanding the psychological development of youth can enable you to better comprehend why certain behaviors occur. This knowledge allows you to respond pedagogically and create a supportive environment for all players.

Positive Pedagogy and Reward Systems: Training in positive pedagogy and the implementation of reward systems can help you create a motivating environment where desired behaviors are rewarded and encouraged. This can aid in reducing undesirable behaviors and maintaining a pleasant atmosphere on the server.

Mediation and Teamwork: Courses in mediation and teamwork can assist in resolving group conflicts and encouraging players to collaborate on projects and learn from one another.

IT Security and Data Protection: Training in IT security and data protection is also advantageous to safeguard the server from potential attacks and secure players' personal information.

These professional development opportunities can equip you with valuable knowledge and skills to establish a supportive, nurturing, and secure environment for the server community while effectively managing challenges that may arise.

Best wishes!

lupara

by lupara » Post

ah, i forget, supervision with your colleagues, i.e. the teachers, is also important. go to the supervision prepared with your topics.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

First off: These aren't "hacker kidz" or even "cheater kidz" or "script kiddies"; they are merely your average kid who stole the teacher's / moderator's password. I hardly see any "skills" to be glorified here.

As for players finding glitches: I think that they should not be ostracized, but rather rewarded to incentivize them to find and report glitches, which ultimately benefits both the server admins (since glitches are found and can be fixed) and the players (since they get rewarded and practice finding glitches by thinking "outside the box", which is a very valuable skill).

Side note: The second part of your post reads very much like it was generated by a large language model. It is not against the rules to use LLMs, but please mark LLM-generated text as such.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

LMD wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 14:01
First off: These aren't "hacker kidz" or even "cheater kidz" or "script kiddies"; they are merely your average kid who stole the teacher's / moderator's password. I hardly see any "skills" to be glorified here.
Perhaps some social engineering/espionage skills rather than hard technical skills.
LMD wrote:
As for players finding glitches: I think that they should not be ostracized, but rather rewarded to incentivize them to find and report glitches ...
You, I and lupara are mostly agreed then.
LMD wrote:
Side note: The second part of your post reads very much like it was generated by a large language model. It is not against the rules to use LLMs, but please mark LLM-generated text as such.
I noted that as a little bit suspect, definitely we would say the authorship doesn't seem to be the same, but I think that it seems more like copy & pasted course descriptions from some teacher training provider's website. Of course you could produce those with an LLM, but it's probably quicker to paste them from a website and makes more sense to me since you're not producing new "copy" (communications jargon sense of the word) but just taking what's already available.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

lupara

by lupara » Post

well, what can i say i am a social worker and an educational scientist. my field of expertise is democracy and human rights education. english is not my mother tongue. i wrote my text and translated it with deepl. copy and paste is also involved for some theoretical stuff..... but the expertise is mine and usulay i get payed for it!

the content of my posting is essential, because it is about teaching basic democratic values, especially in educational institutions like schools. it should be known that most democracies in the "free world" are currently in severe crises of democracy. educational institutions therefore have a special mandate to modernise their teaching methods. however, we can still teach education as we did 100 years ago with didactic behaviourist methods and hail the next future leaders.

i think it's a pity that my message is being disrupted like this.

the password was stolen and how?
looked at the fingers while typing? who knows... or hacked? sure, that's wrong. but there's a reason that a lot of money is spent on rehabilitation and that we don't lock our kids away or exclude them from social life. and i still believe that education and relationship work is everything this kidz need. Think about it!

a personal criticism LMD. you may be doing a lot here, respect! but I find your answers underwhelmingly aggressive and condescending towards me. my feeling and my opinion!

and yes.... translated again with deepl.... but without copy paste