Why I don't use (and why we shouldn't use) GitLab

Which git hosting would you like more as a common for Minetest and community?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 04:51

GitHub
22%
GitLab
6%
Mesehub (Gitea)
28%
Other
44%

Total votes: 18

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

Re: Why I don't use (and why we shouldn't use) GitLab

by LMD » Post

Being an open source project, Minetest is inherently giving its code to anyone, including GitHub.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

blowgundude
In-game: blowgundude

by blowgundude » Post

GitLab appears to have advantages over GitHub and SourceForge, but I agree that particular aspects of it are somewhat frustrating. Like has been stated by others, the whole "free trial" freemium model thing is kind of iffy, but GitLab is also somewhat frustrating in how it treats mere visitors to the site. Apparently, in order to search repositories and projects, you must log into an account. Otherwise, you can only search things like the GitLab blog and other GitLab information pages. You can still access repositories and projects while logged out if you got a link to a repository from somewhere, but restricting the ability to search for them through the website puts the squeeze on visitors to get an account. Sites like Codeberg are more generous to visitors in this regard, and Codeberg is simple to work with in general, which is why that's the site I've started out with in terms of code repository hosting.

UPDATE 11/8/22: Actually found out that there is a way to explore GitLab repositories while logged out by going to https://gitlab.com/explore. I didn't realize this because going to https://gitlab.com redirects you to https://about.gitlab.com, and that page does not appear to link to an "Explore" page like Codeberg's home page does. So I guess things aren't that bad, but Codeberg still is better in this case because Codeberg's "Explore" link is easier to find and GitLab still has some annoying limits on searching even if it's not as bad as I previously thought.
Last edited by blowgundude on Tue Nov 08, 2022 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Yo what's up gamers it's your boy forty_sham coming at you with another sick Minetest Let's Play.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

If you go to github instant without knowing any repository you have same problem.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

I'm still thinking we should go with dropbox as it will make code documentation much easier

I would like to clarify that this is a joke
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Wed Nov 16, 2022 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 07:49
I'm still thinking we should go with dropbox as it will make code documentation much easier
Care to elaborate? How could a website for general file hosting with no facility for Continuous Integration or issue tracking beyond basic checklists do better than websites dedicated to hosting git repositories with project management, issue tracking, continuous integration and deployment, AND which offer Wikis and GitHub/GitLab Pages where you can put your websites??
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 08:13
jordan4ibanez wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 07:49
Care to elaborate? How could a website for general file hosting with no facility for Continuous Integration or issue tracking beyond basic checklists do better than websites dedicated to hosting git repositories with project management, issue tracking, continuous integration and deployment, AND which offer Wikis and GitHub/GitLab Pages where you can put your websites??

Jokes aside, I've actually seen people on ContentDB not understand the purpose of the VCS repository field and put a ZIP download to their mod on some file host. I suppose versioned ZIP file could constitute as a valid version control system, but that's certainly not what that field is used for.

rudzik8
GitHub: rudzik8
In-game: db75c and rudzik8

by rudzik8 » Post

ROllerozxa wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 08:18
I've actually seen people on ContentDB not understand the purpose of the VCS repository field and put a ZIP download to their mod on some file host. I suppose versioned ZIP file could constitute as a valid version control system, but that's certainly not what that field is used for.
Well, putting ZIP file on some file host makes sense at least in some cases. Some people use Git services for that, making a repo with a single ZIP file in it.

It's a trap.
Lead dev of Voxelgarden (revived) and MineClone2 dev and modder || Codeberg

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

I think @pivert makes very valid points.
pivert wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 22:54
Interesting talk.

Well, I use GitLab, because GitHub is neither free, neither open source.

I'm checking to re-install one on prem, since I need a local registry and will probably use all the other features.

I couldn't imagine in 2022 a Git server that does not offer CI/CD and on-prem open source option.

Several clients are using GitLab on prem. (ee or ce) I just does the job.

From my understanding, all of this is impossible with GitHub. It's either give me your code, or give me your money...

Giving my stuff to any GAFAM member is not my cup of tea, especially if I have choice. (spread the personal data)

So, well GitLab.
Cloud, CE on prem or EE on prem. Great Open Source tool with CI/CD, Docker Registry and a sustainable model with the Enterprise Edition.

I would like to see some competition, but there seems to be just none.
Thanks for the Gitea BTW I'll watch the evolution.

If you think that GitLab UI is poor, I think you should try Jenkins, and of course configure it with the hooks from the Git repository, a consistent IAM & so on.

I do not understand the statement that Gitlab doesn't support the community. I haven't seen many limitations on public repositories, and they have a program to register for bigger projects. Seems fair to me. And of course, running a gitlab-ce somewhere is still an option. Unlike GitHub, it's free and open source.

Regards,

Pivert
Furthermore, there is https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/ and please take a read.