Default spawn point; what is it?

Tylor Smith

Default spawn point; what is it?

by Tylor Smith » Post

I was wondering if anybody knew what the exact default spawn point is for a newly generated mind test world.
I might add that the reason I am asking this question is because I want to return the spawn point back to the original after I had changed it.

Tylor Smith

Re: Default spawn point; what is it?

by Tylor Smith » Post

Okay I'm replying to myself this because I can. But the thing is is I don't know the answer to my question haha.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

If you did this through the main menu, you just need to go the settings search 'spawn', make sure 'static spawnpoint' is selected and click 'restore default' (see image below). If you changed the spawn by sleeping in a bed, you just need to remove your bed. If you changed the spawn through a mod of some kind, check the settings for that mod or remove it. I hope that helps, I can't make it any clearer without knowing how you changed it.
Attachments
minetest-reset-spawn.png
minetest-reset-spawn.png (35.86 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Tylor Smith

by Tylor Smith » Post

Thanks

Tylor Smith

by Tylor Smith » Post

Okay I have another question. I am using the world edit app on minetest, and I have been doing a lot of experiments with it. One complaint I have is that on the copy/move setting, you cannot plot a specific point to copy a structure to. You can only merely move it in One Direction on one axis. I find this to be severely limiting and was wondering if there is a way to perform said operation, that is, move a selected structure in a modified direction of more than one axis.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Taylor Smith - You could always use the //mtschemcreate to save the area in question, then select where you wish to place it using //pos1 and //mtschemplace to place.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

mhh
"Default spawn point; what is it?"
if not set in minetest.conf as Wuzzy sugested ... and as I know if mod spawn failed, somewhere 0,x,0

next option is to be in game as admin (priv server) and ask the value of static_spawn_point with
/set static_spawn_point
and get an answer if it is set to a value

so that mean, you can SET it yourself to your needs inside minetest.conf

about WorldEdit:
for me it was important to remember the import of saved schem starts at the point in the south-West (left down deep) to upper right and up
so that starting point is what I set, as TenPlus1 suggested, with : //pos1
and import then (after make sure, that area is free !) maybe delete that part with also set //pos2 before
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

First of all, I want to make clear that there is NO single "default spawn position". Instead, Minetest tries to automatically find a spawn position. Also, games tend to code their own spawning as well.

As described on the wiki, Minetest will check for the static_spawn_point setting first and spawn the player here if the setting exists. If this setting exists, it's easy: Players always spawn here. Although some rogue mods might still ignore this setting for some reason.

If the setting was NOT set, Minetest will automatically find a spawn position by using a simple algorithm. This is the default behavior. Minetest will first look at a random position in a 3×3 square from (-1, Y, -1) to (1, Y, 1) and if the player can "stand" on it, this position will be used. Y will be found by a separate algorithm depending on the mapgen (see wiki).
If the position was unsuitable, the square will be expanded by 1 in the four cardinal directions (so 5×5, 7×7, 9×9, etc.) and another random pos in that square will be looked at. This will be repeated until a position was found or when the search area becomes too large.

If the search fails completely, Minetest gives up and falls back to (0,0,0), even if this would be a bad spawn point. This is extremely unlikely in normal worlds but can happen in empty or worlds with very little land.

Note this simple algorithm is basically just a dummy algorithm IMHO. It's not great as it overlooks various edge cases. For sophisticated games, it makes sense if they code their own spawning instead.
Even Minetest Game has its own spawning algorithm which works like this: MTG has a "biome whitelist" meaning the player can only spawn in one of the whitelisted biomes (which are biomes that are considered easy start points: Taiga, Coniferous Forest, Decidious Forest, Grassland, Savanna). MTG starts at 0,0 or somewhere around that (not sure) and checks if this is in a whitelisted biome. If not, MTG will check for positions in the world in a "square spiral" pattern.

Tylor Smith

by Tylor Smith » Post

Thanks for all the very interesting information on how the algorithms work!

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

undefined.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

Andarius68
GitHub: Andarius68
IRC: Andarius68
In-game: Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

Okay, but I do have static_spawn_point set in my minetest.conf file and when I use /set static_spawn_point as suggested I do indeed get back the coordinates I have it set to. But when a new player joins they still end up spawning at another location hundreds of blocks away. What can I do to ensure new players will spawn in the location I want them to start the game in?
See my Minetest related content on my website.

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Andarius68 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 22:38
Okay, but I do have static_spawn_point set in my minetest.conf file and when I use /set static_spawn_point as suggested I do indeed get back the coordinates I have it set to. But when a new player joins they still end up spawning at another location hundreds of blocks away. What can I do to ensure new players will spawn in the location I want them to start the game in?
In my experience, /set commands don't always become permanent. Instead, use the menu or edit minetest.conf to set it then reboot the server.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 01:24

In my experience, /set commands don't always become permanent. Instead, use the menu or edit minetest.conf to set it then reboot the server.
I get where you're coming from but that's just the thing. I didn't rely on a command but did in fact hand edit the minetest.conf file and restarted the server. I've been through multiple restarts since and even when I do use the /set command to find out what the current spawnpoint is it reports back to me that it is at the coordinates that I set it to in minetest.conf. Yet, when I register a dummy, test user account and log it in for the first time the server still spawns that new player account in at the original position that I was spawned in when I first started the world rather than at the static spawnpoint that I have set. I finally just posted a sign there and told people to use the /spawn command to go to the correct spawn. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why the static spawn point I have set is being ignored for new players. Is it a bug that I should report or is there something I've missed somewhere in my configurations? I'm not sure. I keep looking the minetest.conf file over in case I made a typo or something but if that were the case then why does the /set command report the correct position when I poll it? It's just weird.

SylvesterKruin

by SylvesterKruin » Post

Tylor Smith wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 09:06
Okay I have another question. I am using the world edit app on minetest, and I have been doing a lot of experiments with it. One complaint I have is that on the copy/move setting, you cannot plot a specific point to copy a structure to. You can only merely move it in One Direction on one axis. I find this to be severely limiting and was wondering if there is a way to perform said operation, that is, move a selected structure in a modified direction of more than one axis.
I recently discovered the Edit mod, which has a much more intuitive interface for basic world-editing. You might want to give it a try. Its schematics are also compatible with WorldEdit, which is a plus.
My favorite things to build: trains and realistic(ish) architecture

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Andarius68 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 13:40
Yet, when I register a dummy, test user account and log it in for the first time the server still spawns that new player account in at the original position that I was spawned in when I first started the world rather than at the static spawnpoint that I have set.
I can only hazard a guess that perhaps you have a mod that is interfering with static_spawn and ignoring it. However, if you're on Minetest Game, that should not be the case, because its mod spawn that overrides the engine's spawning logic will not have any effect if static_spawnpoint is set (ref).

You haven't mentioned what game and mods you're using so possibly I can help you look into whether that could be effecting it.

Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 15:02
I can only hazard a guess that perhaps you have a mod that is interfering with static_spawn and ignoring it. However, if you're on Minetest Game, that should not be the case, because its mod spawn that overrides the engine's spawning logic will not have any effect if static_spawnpoint is set (ref).

You haven't mentioned what game and mods you're using so possibly I can help you look into whether that could be effecting it.
Sorry about that. Yes, I am running Minetest Game with a lot of mods installed. Don't judge me lol, I'm trying to emulate a public server I like so I'm running most of the same mods they are running. However, I noticed a discrepancy that might be the cause of my issue. In your reply you called the setting static_spawnpoint and I think you are correct. Both the Minetest wiki and one of the earlier replies on this thread by another user said static_spawn_point with the extra underscore between spawn and point. I think that's the way I put it in mine. However, I just looked at the example_minetest.conf file online and it has it without the extra underscore as you stated it.

I'm about to be driving so I can't test the theory until I get home and boot up my laptop but I think this has been my issue all along. I'll let you know when I'm able to try it. Thank you for replying to me and helping me work through this. Hopefully, this simple thing was indeed all that I needed to change. It still seems odd that the Minetest Wiki has it one way and the example_minetest.conf has it another though. Whichever way is correct, someone should do an edit I suppose to avoid confusion.

Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

Well, hmmm, I changed the setting in minetest.conf to static_spawnpoint with the coordinates I wanted, registered another dummy player account to test it and once again it spawned at the other place instead. Logged back on with my admin account to verify the setting and /set static_spawnpoint returns the value I gave it. So, I'm at a loss. Wait a minute though. Here's an exact copy and paste of the line I added to minetest.conf

static_spawnpoint = (536,18.5,728)

Now, two things I'm unsure of here because neither the example_minetest.conf file nor the wiki page here https://dev.minetest.net/Spawn_Algorithm has stated clearly whether or not I need to have those parentheses there. I did see them in other places in the examples so assumed that was the proper formatting. Also, I did read somewhere that it was important not to have spaces between the numbers and columns but I don't know if that was accurate. Also, the 18.5 might need to be a whole number in order for it to work. It would help if there was an example with the proper formatting both in the example_minetest.conf at that section and on the developers wiki page I linked to. I guess I just need to see an example that is working for someone to go by. In the meantime I'll keep tinkering with the formatting to see if I can come up with something that works. I'm ending up with a lot of dummy player accounts though because you can only join for the first time once. Lol Oh well, I can clean that mess up later. I'm only running this one to learn and experiment on anyway.

Andarius68

by Andarius68 » Post

Okay, tried changing the 18.5 to 19 and tried with spaces between the coordinates and commas. Not seeing any errors in server.log saying that the static_spawnpoint value is invalid or anything like that. So I don't know what else I can do. It just doesn't seem to be working.