KreiBloko
50%
PaliPoki
50%

Total votes: 10

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

Re: The best name instead of Minetest is...

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Nope! wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 16:29
1. KreiBloko,----------------------------11. LibertasCubus,--------------------21.VoxelCrate,------------------
2. PaliPoki,------------------------------12. CubiMachina,---------------------22. WorldWonder,--------------
3. NodeNicks,--------------------------13. 64KCubed,-------------------------23. NatureWonders,-----------
4. EngineBlock,------------------------14. NotMineCraft,----------------------24. Proxel,-----------------------
5. OpVox,--------------------------------15. VoxelCosmos,---------------------25. Minet,------------------------
6. FreeVoxel,---------------------------16. Osgev,-------------------------------26. Bloxel,-----------------------
7. ItemNest,-----------------------------17. Mine Test,--------------------------27. Doxel,------------------------
8. Kubo,----------------------------------18. Test Your Mine,-------------------28. Partula,----------------------
9. Kubik,---------------------------------19. Test Of Mines,---------------------29. OpenMined,----------------
10. ApertaCubum,---------------------20. VoxelDoboz,-----------------------30. Aixel,-------------------------

31. Open VoxGen,---------------------41. MiNetEst,--------------------------51. RealmCraft,----------------- <-- really?!?!
32. ComVoxGen------------------------42. MinetSet,--------------------------52. BuildWorld,-----------------
33. Bob Bob,----------------------------43. OursShed,-------------------------53. OpenVE,--------------------
34. Celery,-------------------------------44. yhteisön moottori,----------------54. OpenHorizons,------------
35. musi pali,----------------------------45. pelimoottori,-----------------------55. BlockEngine,---------------
36. musi ma suli,-----------------------46. eMTe,-------------------------------56. ,
37. musi pali kepeken sijelo linja,--47. VoxelVerse,-----------------------57. ,
38. Tagabuo ng Voxel,----------------48. Blocktopia,------------------------58. ,
39. M OWO GANG,-------------------49. CubicCraze,-----------------------59. ,
40. 56i-blokc_game,MiNetEst,-----50. PixelPlanet,------------------------60. ,
Do none of you realize that about half of these names contain 'block'? Minetest is a voxel-based nodeverse, meaning that naming it with 'block' would be a severe misunderstanding.

Naming it with 'block' is actually a direct contradiction with previous arguments about Minetest's closeness to Minecraft name-wise. In other words, you would be destroying one of the pieces of your argument by changing the name of Minetest to a name with 'block' in it.

And, despite it not truly meaning so, the 'word' Bloko sounds a lot like 'block'

P.S. #51 is really bad, and maybe @Nope! should get rid of the joke names, like 'NotMineCraft'. (Facepalm)
Last edited by SuperStarSonic on Sat Jun 10, 2023 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 13:37
Do none of you realize that about half of these names contain 'block'? Minetest is a voxel-based nodeverse, meaning that naming it with 'block' would be a severe misunderstanding.
I don't know about you, but I'm a Minetest modder and I don't really care about most people calling it a block, even if I'm going to call it a node personally. We have the term mapblock for a reason, because you have to distinguish it. In my own terminology, I think of 'blocks' in Minetest, when not referring to mapblocks, as the normal drawtype, that is, the full cube.
SuperStarSonic wrote:
Naming it with 'block' is actually a direct contradiction with previous arguments about Minetest's closeness to Minecraft name-wise. In other words, you would be destroying one of the pieces of your argument by changing the name of Minetest to a name with 'block' in it.
I don't think you're arguing the right way here, since I disagree with the premise that Minetest isn't made of blocks. But I would still come to the same conclusion though that "block" in the names is not that good of a choice, at least not unless it's well-balanced against some other element. Rephrased again, it's statistically unlikely that most of the good candidates (as I would judge them anyway) actually include the name block, and I think that's the best argument against it.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 13:47
I don't know about you, but I'm a Minetest modder and I don't really care about most people calling it a block, even if I'm going to call it a node personally. We have the term mapblock for a reason, because you have to distinguish it. In my own terminology, I think of 'blocks' in Minetest, when not referring to mapblocks, as the normal drawtype, that is, the full cube.
Yes, me too, but I like to call things by their true name, maybe that's a weird idea.

And there's a reason mapblocks are named how they are, a block can refer to a set of objects joined or formed together, either in a cube, or another solid form, like the block of an engine, or a block of wood.

A pretty good description of a mapblock isn't it, 'a group of nodes joined together.

I do understand that a mapblock is more than just that, but it works for that aspect.

I understand what your saying and even agree to some extent, but I don't think that it would be taken that way.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Only 55 bad name suggestions? That is amateur work. We need to get up to 60!

So how about we name the engine:

Mese

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
P.S. #51 is really bad, and maybe @Nope! should get rid of the joke names, like 'NotMineCraft'. (Facepalm)
I am not getting rid of any of the names, I put them there so people may, at some point, realize the wackiness of this all. But, of course, no one has understood.
Last edited by Nope! on Sat Jun 10, 2023 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Nope!

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

Before we go on making more names, I would like to have some final decisions on what types of names should no longer be included, for example, there was some talk about excluding names containing “Voxel” and “Block,” I just want some verification so I can shorten the existing list.
Nope!

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Kilarin wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 14:10
Only 55 bad name suggestions? That is amateur work. We need to get up to 60!

So how about we name the engine:

Mese
I suggest such shining stars befit a better thread, this one -> here <-
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Shadow2424

by Shadow2424 » Post

Since it looks like you are changing the name of the engine itself instead of the Minetest Game, you could possibly keep "Voxel" as a part of names for Minetest.

But let's look at the names or parts of names that should be excluded,
I am only listing a few.

1. RealmCraft should be discarded. (If you have played Minecraft, you probably have heard of "Minecraft Realms," since most of you want to have Minetest known as something different than Minecraft, I would exclude this name.)

2. NatureWonders and WorldWonder may have been meant as names for the Minetest Game itself and should be excluded.

3. KreiBloko, PaliPoki, and the likes should possibly be discarded since English 1, is the main language, and 2, If I’ve got things straight, Minetest originated from the UK.

If I have got something wrong, please kindly correct me, thanks!

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Shadow2424 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 15:39
Since it looks like you are changing the name of the engine itself instead of the Minetest Game, you could possibly keep "Voxel" as a part of names for Minetest.

But let's look at the names or parts of names that should be excluded,
I am only listing a few.

1. RealmCraft should be discarded. (If you have played Minecraft, you probably have heard of "Minecraft Realms," since most of you want to have Minetest known as something different than Minecraft, I would exclude this name.)
RealmCraft sounds like a crappy Minetest ripoff or other Minecraft clone on Google Play...
Shadow2424 wrote:
2. NatureWonders and WorldWonder may have been meant as names for the Minetest Game itself and should be excluded.
NatureWonders isn't exactly applicable to urban settings, like in insane protestor (insanity warning).
Shadow2424 wrote:
3. KreiBloko, PaliPoki, and the likes should possibly be discarded since English 1, is the main language, and 2, If I’ve got things straight, Minetest originated from the UK.

Minetest originated in Finland. Only one of the core developers happens to be British. None of the rest as far as I know have English as their first language. Further, I don't think we need to limit ourselves to English-only terms. As long as the name has euphony and a sense of meaning, it's fine.

P.S. Is there a place I can get the official list of Core Developers?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

"Official" core dev list is probably going to be listed on github. I would assume github allows you to see the maintainers of a project, and filter out contributors. I don't know github that well. We've never really talked alot......

Voxel as a concept simply means 3D point in space. A Minetest Engine world is empty until generated via a script. That script does rely on 3D coordinates. Thus, the term voxel, as part of the name, is in fact one of the more descriptive and accurately used concepts.

But again, I get why that term should not be included in a new name for Minetest.

When you say the word "block" to people, you will get widely differing interpretations. To a child, it could mean the wooden alphabet blocks, or it could mean Lego blocks. To a mechanic, block would refer to engine block, but to non-automotive types, a block would most likely mean city block. To a protestor, block means prevent access.

But as others have pointed out, with mesh objects being given equal weight, (and who doesn't like Apercys Steampunk Blimp, airplanes, or automobile pack???), block does not accurately describe anything other than a cubic node or a mapblock, both insider tech terms, and really not relevant to the conversation for anyone new to Minetest.

Lego. What does that mean in its native language, Danish? "leg godt" means "play well".

Minetest origins in Finland suggest a good Finnish word, perhaps one that is cross translatable, ie, close to the english equivalent, and in some remote way, relatable to Minetest.

If Lego means "play well", which is totally unrelated to the actual product of plastic toy bricks, then we can really expand the possibilities of what we would consider.

Shad

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I could be wrong, but I really don't think the core developers are using this thread and it's list as an important part of their decision making process.

runs

by runs » Post

Kilarin wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 18:46
I could be wrong, but I really don't think the core developers are using this thread and it's list as an important part of their decision making process.
Well, they should take note of some of the names, they are very good (certain ones).

Never underestimate any source of inspiration (Juanchi tip of the day)

runs

by runs » Post

An example of "horrendous" names of apps and games:

-Veloren: WTF
-LibreOffice: Libre means Free (freedom) in spanish, but is bad as a word, bad rythm too.
-Microsoft: Mini software, tiny is equal to worst.

Good names:

-Apple: Is simple, is the forbidden bitten fruit.
-Hytale: It's cool to read and say.

What I mean is, the name doesn't matter if what's behind it holds up, but if the name is cool, it's cool as hell.

Shadow2424

by Shadow2424 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 15:48
Shadow2424 wrote:

Minetest originated in Finland. Only one of the core developers happens to be British. None of the rest as far as I know have English as their first language. Further, I don't think we need to limit ourselves to English-only terms. As long as the name has euphony and a sense of meaning, it's fine.

P.S. Is there a place I can get the official list of Core Developers?
Ok,
thank you for the correction.

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

I would like to note that "OpenVE" (Opensource Voxel Engine) is actually one of the better names, look at @SuperStarSonic('s) post,
SuperStarSonic wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 13:52
I think I should put some order into this scheme of thought, maybe we should rename the engine to OpenVE (Opensource Voxel Engine), and the Minetest community should be named Minetest, plain and simple, referring to both MTG and the OpenVE (or something else if you really want to) game engine as a whole by using Minetest could be useful as it is an all-encompassing name that works with both.
By the way, is there a way to change my Minetest Forums username?
Last edited by Nope! on Fri Jun 09, 2023 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Nope!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Kilarin wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 18:46
Actually, I read this thread quite a bit. But purely for enjoyment at the banter that goes on in it, and the occasional bad suggestions that are thrown out :) There's a few (here and elsewhere) that I think are actually good names, but they are few and far in between.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

v-rob wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 23:07
Actually, I read this thread quite a bit. But purely for enjoyment at the banter that goes on in it, and the occasional bad suggestions that are thrown out :) There's a few (here and elsewhere) that I think are actually good names, but they are few and far in between.
Anything really useful on the GitHub thread?

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 14:15
Anything really useful on the GitHub thread?
It's strictly limited to suggestions only, no discussions, so it seems to garner less joke suggestions. But yes, I think some of the suggestions there are fairly good.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

markez
GitHub: markez
IRC: markez
In-game: markez

by markez » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 09:40
If MT has to change, then to properly reflect its potential,

VoxelBase, the new database paradigm.
"The best alternative to Minetest would be 'WorldForge.' This name perfectly captures the essence of the game, as it symbolizes the creation and exploration of limitless virtual worlds. With WorldForge, players can unleash their imagination, shape their own landscapes, and embark on exciting adventures. The name itself invokes a sense of grandeur and possibility, enticing both new and seasoned gamers to dive into a realm where the only limits are the boundaries of their creativity. WorldForge truly encapsulates the spirit of a captivating and immersive gaming experience."

Wilderness
GitHub: Wilderness7272
In-game: Wilderness7272+Last_Laugh

by Wilderness » Post

markez wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 06:34
"The best alternative to Minetest would be 'WorldForge.' This name perfectly captures the essence of the game, as it symbolizes the creation and exploration of limitless virtual worlds. With WorldForge, players can unleash their imagination, shape their own landscapes, and embark on exciting adventures. The name itself invokes a sense of grandeur and possibility, enticing both new and seasoned gamers to dive into a realm where the only limits are the boundaries of their creativity. WorldForge truly encapsulates the spirit of a captivating and immersive gaming experience."
Wow! Finally a good name, I like that one, "WorldForge."

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 20:29
For those of you new to the forums, you're opinions simply will not carry the same weight as those who've been a part of the conversation for a longer time.

Shad
Even if that were true, the name itself has its own wait plus, @marez, the one who made this name, not to mention that it is one of the few ideas that has a good description.

In other words, I think that this is one of the best or the best name I have seen.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Wilderness wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:49
I thought you said OpenVE was a good name?

Wilderness
GitHub: Wilderness7272
In-game: Wilderness7272+Last_Laugh

by Wilderness » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 17:03
Wilderness wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:49
I thought you said OpenVE was a good name.
Both are good, I was just surprised to see another nice name come up.

The names I like best are:
Proxel, OpenVE, and WorldForge.

Note that I put them in order of when they were brought up, not in order of what I like best. I would swap them around:
WorldForge, OpenVE, and Proxel.

One problem with "Proxel" is it is disliked, and it is already taken.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Logic Voxel.

Loxel

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 20:25
Logic Voxel.

Loxel
There are already about 5-6 names with 'oxel' endings, maybe you could be a little more creative?