The best name instead of Minetest is...

New Minetet Game

KreiBloko
50%
PaliPoki
50%

Total votes: 10

ShadMOrdre

Re: The best name instead of Minetest is...

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Additional points in favor of 'eMTe'.

Technically, you are not changing the name at all, just how you pronounce it to the world.

When someone asks, "What is 'eMTe'?", you can tell them it is an empty, programmable environment, or whatever other nonMC description you choose. This makes the hard break from comparing the two.

'eMTe' is also a FOSS compatible backronymn. What does 'eMTe' stand for? Empty Minetest environment.

Shad

Wilderness
GitHub: Wilderness7272
In-game: Wilderness7272+Last_Laugh

by Wilderness » Post

Even if the name Minetest is changed, I will continue to refer to it as Minetest.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

ChatGPT came up with "How about "Voxiverse: Craftopia"?

This name combines the concepts of voxels (the building blocks of the game world) and universe (indicating a vast and immersive game environment). "Craftopia" adds a playful and adventurous element, hinting at the creative and exploratory aspects of the game. This name captures the essence of the open-source Minecraft clone and voxel-based game engine while adding a unique and catchy flair."
Craftopia is already taken.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

AgentGPT came up with "VoxelVerse, Blocktopia, CubicCraze, Pixel Planet, RealmCraft, or BuildWorld."

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 23:10
ChatGPT came up with "How about "Voxiverse: Craftopia"?

This name combines the concepts of voxels (the building blocks of the game world) and universe (indicating a vast and immersive game environment). "Craftopia" adds a playful and adventurous element, hinting at the creative and exploratory aspects of the game. This name captures the essence of the open-source Minecraft clone and voxel-based game engine while adding a unique and catchy flair."
Craftopia is already taken.
ChatGPT keeps coming up with crappy names with voxel and craft in them, which I have already decided I really don't like. I wish people would stop asking it for ideas, it's not doing a very good job at originality.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 04:26
ChatGPT keeps coming up with crappy names with voxel and craft in them, which I have already decided I really don't like.
I have already decided i really like crappy names with "voxel" and "craft" in them. You've been cancelled (out).
I wish people would stop asking it for ideas, it's not doing a very good job at originality.
What else do you expect a program designed to produce the mean average of the internet's content related to the prompt when prompted would do? People are using hammers to clean pools here; ChatGPT's just not made to work like that. It's great at being a way to refine your work before it hits the discerning eyes of humans or teach you to make a dembow beat or write to your hearts content about your latest obsession, but it sucks at the avant-garde and original idea.

It's great for making an idea for an idea "What about a name that includes an acronym of Minetest for compatibility?" but elsewhere it fails.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 21:04
OK, so voxely related names no longer apply.
Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 04:26
ChatGPT keeps coming up with crappy names with voxel and craft in them, which I have already decided I really don't like. I wish people would stop asking it for ideas, it's not doing a very good job at originality.
Agreed.
56independent_actual wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 07:04
I have already decided i really like crappy names with "voxel" and "craft" in them. You've been cancelled (out).
I do not like "Voxel" in a name that may replace Minetest, but it is fine with me if people came up with names with "Craft" in them.
Last edited by Nope! on Wed May 31, 2023 19:40, edited 3 times in total.
Nope!

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Nope! wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:53
Wait... can you only quote on person?! What did I do wrong?
You forgot to append a ] to your quote blocks.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa
IRC: ROllerozxa
In-game: ROllerozxa

by ROllerozxa » Post

Nope! wrote:
Wait... can you only quote on person?! What did I do wrong?
You removed the closing square bracket in the beginning of the BBCode quote tags.

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

I think I should put some order into this scheme of thought, maybe we should rename the engine to OpenVE (Opensource Voxel Engine), and the Minetest community should be named Minetest, plain and simple, referring to both MTG and the OpenVE (or something else if you really want to) game engine as a whole by using Minetest could be useful as it is an all-encompassing name that works with both.

btw, Pyrogenisis is a good name if you take into account that it links Wildfire Games and the engine by the use of a synonym-like comparison to Wildfire Games.

I would much rather keep it the same though see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29513

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 13:36
Nope! wrote:
Wait... can you only quote one person?! What did I do wrong?
You forgot to append a ] to your quote blocks.
Thanks, I also deleted the user id accidentally. : )
Nope!

runs

by runs » Post

90% of the people replying in this thread have joined the forums in 23-22-21, that is super new people. And they pontificate as if they are super knowledgeable, in 6 months they will disappear.

What matters is the hard core of Minetest. They have proposed to change the name. So only they should decide. If it stays, OK, if not, also OK (for me).

I propose a period of no more than one month for the final decision. Because in the Minetets environment we like to argue, for years, that is, to waste time seriously.

runs

by runs » Post

90% of the time spent on Minetest is wasted on silly discussions, if that same time was spent on real things it would be the best game in the world.

And I don't mean the name change alone, but for example the PR hell, with millions of lines of code wasted by a bad, very bad, organization.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:07
90% of the people replying in this thread have joined the forums in 23-22-21, that is super new people. And they pontificate as if they are super knowledgeable, in 6 months they will disappear.

What matters is the hard core of Minetest. They have proposed to change the name. So only they should decide. If it stays, OK, if not, also OK (for me).

What if some people have been playing for idk, 6-7 years, and only 2-3 actually being on MT Forums? That changes some things, doesn't it?

JALdMIC
In-game: None

by JALdMIC » Post

I don't speak English
I believe this is a little dumb,what the game really needs is not a change of name,just a better demo subgame who shows the best who can be made with minetest api,like glitch,mineclone2 or just better mods like not so simple mobs.

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

JALdMIC wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 14:31
I don't speak English
I believe this is a little dumb, what the game really needs is not a change of name,just a better demo subgame who shows the best who can be made with minetest api, like glitch, mineclone2, or just better mods like not so simple mobs.
Exactly.
Nope!

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 21:31
runs wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:07

What if some people have been playing for idk, 6-7 years, and only 2-3 actually being on MT Forums? That changes some things, doesn't it?
You got it, @SuperStarSonic, being on Minetest Forums doesn't make people that much smarter if you think about it, especially if @runs is correct, "90% of the time spent on Minetest is wasted on silly discussions."

@runs, you seem to like "90%"

"90% of the people want change."
"90% of the people replying in this thread have joined the forums in 23-22-21, that is super new people."
"90% of the time spent on Minetest is wasted on silly discussions, if that same time was spent on real things it would be the best game in the world."

Where is your proof? Saying something and not proving it seems a bit sketchy to me.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:10
90% of the time spent on Minetest is wasted on silly discussions, if that same time was spent on real things it would be the best game in the world.

And I don't mean the name change alone, but for example the PR hell, with millions of lines of code wasted by a bad, very bad, organization.
I understand there are very big problems with organization and other things, maybe this means we should try to fix the big things before we start trying to change the name.

We need to focus on the big problem, splitting apart and trying to fix smaller problems at the same time will make it so the 'teams' or groups that are outnumbered by the problems they are facing.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

For those saying "We need to do....." before we rename anything, consider the following.

Are you contributing pull requests to address those issues, or are you simply using that as an excuse for not renaming Minetest?

Are you signing up to do any of the grunt work?

For those of you new to the forums, you're opinions simply will not carry the same weight as those who've been a part of the conversation for a longer time.

Some of you, ie, the last three posters, have only recently joined the forums. One in the last 6 mos. and the other two, within the last two months. Two of you state to be teenagers.

So, since the name of the thread is "The best name instead of Minetest is....." and not "Should Minetest be renamed?" please stick to the topic.

Any and all statements stating your opinions about whether Minetest should be renamed are off topic.

Stay on topic. If you have a name to suggest, as runs clearly states, then suggest one, and move on.

And quit trolling this thread to add to your own post count. Those who know are watching, and will call you out.

Shad

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 20:29
For those of you new to the forums, you're opinions simply will not carry the same weight as those who've been a part of the conversation for a longer time.

Some of you, ie, the last three posters, have only recently joined the forums. One in the last 6 mos. and the other two, within the last two months. Two of you state to be teenagers.

Shad
So you, (@ShadMOrdre,) @Wilderness, and @SuperStarSonic, right? Ha ha.
Nope!

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
So, since the name of the thread is "The best name instead of Minetest is....." and not "Should Minetest be renamed?" please stick to the topic.

Shad
Look,
Nope! wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 20:26
Sometimes change is good, but in my opinion, so far not a single even slightly good name idea has come up. This change may not be good. If you are set on changing the name and are actively trying to think of a good name, I may try to help, Maybe.
I did say that I would help and all if others showed that they cared enough to think up good names, not my fault no one listens.
ShadMOrdre wrote:
And quit trolling this thread to add to your own post count. Those who know are watching, and will call you out.

Shad
And I would also like to say that adding to my post count is actually not what is good, it means I'm on the computer when I could be doing something useful. (watching cat vids...) Oh, wait, that's still the computer... : )

I would like to note that I stay signed in to my account and thread and am not actually always looking.

When you say "and will call you out," you are implying that someone is doing something bad.

May I ask what you thought was "bad" when you said that?
Nope!

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:

Shad
Being on the forums doesn't make you much more knowledgeable, it may possibly do the opposite.

Therefore, it shouldn't matter much how long someone has been on the forums.
Last edited by Wilderness on Thu Jun 08, 2023 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Shad
I joined 2ish years ago and have been playing Minetest for over 5 years.

I understand your skepticism of my knowing what I'm talking about, but I have been active, I as a true hobbyist devote my whole time to this (Minetest, 0A.D., etc.)

Being a hobbyist doesn't make me not knowledgeable, it means I have an interest not only in the software itself but also in the community.

I understand you may think of me as an 'upstart' or a bully trying to throw weight, but this is a discussion.
I also understand your hesitation on the point of straying off-topic, but trust me, the way this topic is named does not truly suggest that it is a discussion about the best name for Minetest. It merely means a discussion about the renaming of Minetest.

Horka
GitHub: Clemstriangular
In-game: Horka

by Horka » Post

runs wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 19:49

I think this is the perfect and definitive name.
Could be shortened to KBloko or simply KB
I think a name change is a good idea (I feel like with its current name, it sounds like the younger sibling of Minecraft or a lesser version) even though it's important to find the right one. Minetest Game can remain Minetest Game, but changing the name of the application is a good idea in my opinion. Something like OpenHorizons (which isn't great) or something similar that showcases its open-source nature and limitless possibilities. KreiBloko and PaliPoki don't make sense to me or anyone else and lack logical meaning.
I think anything associated with Minetest can keep the name Minetest, but the launcher should have a different name to indicate that it's more than just a game.

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

1. KreiBloko,----------------------------11. LibertasCubus,--------------------21.VoxelCrate,------------------
2. PaliPoki,------------------------------12. CubiMachina,---------------------22. WorldWonder,--------------
3. NodeNicks,--------------------------13. 64KCubed,-------------------------23. NatureWonders,-----------
4. EngineBlock,------------------------14. NotMineCraft,----------------------24. Proxel,-----------------------
5. OpVox,--------------------------------15. VoxelCosmos,---------------------25. Minet,------------------------
6. FreeVoxel,---------------------------16. Osgev,-------------------------------26. Bloxel,-----------------------
7. ItemNest,-----------------------------17. Mine Test,--------------------------27. Doxel,------------------------
8. Kubo,----------------------------------18. Test Your Mine,-------------------28. Partula,----------------------
9. Kubik,---------------------------------19. Test Of Mines,---------------------29. OpenMined,----------------
10. ApertaCubum,---------------------20. VoxelDoboz,-----------------------30. Aixel,-------------------------

31. Open VoxGen,---------------------41. MiNetEst,--------------------------51. RealmCraft,-----------------
32. ComVoxGen------------------------42. MinetSet,--------------------------52. BuildWorld,-----------------
33. Bob Bob,----------------------------43. OursShed,-------------------------53. OpenVE,--------------------
34. Celery,-------------------------------44. yhteisön moottori,----------------54. OpenHorizons,------------
35. musi pali,----------------------------45. pelimoottori,-----------------------55. BlockEngine,---------------
36. musi ma suli,-----------------------46. eMTe,-------------------------------56. ,
37. musi pali kepeken sijelo linja,--47. VoxelVerse,-----------------------57. ,
38. Tagabuo ng Voxel,----------------48. Blocktopia,------------------------58. ,
39. M OWO GANG,-------------------49. CubicCraze,-----------------------59. ,
40. 56i-blokc_game,MiNetEst,-----50. PixelPlanet,------------------------60. ,

It looks like some of these names could possibly be good for other programs, but not great for replacing the name of Minetest. Let's look at EngineBlock for example: It could be a good name for a program specifically made for designing engines (Fuel powered) but it is absolutely horrible if it were to replace Minetest.

But what if we swapped those words around from EngineBlock to BlockEngine? I added this to the current table.
Nope!