50%
PaliPoki
50%

Total votes: 10

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: The best name instead of Minetest is...

by v-rob » Post

runs wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 09:44
The name Minetest is obsolete according to celeron55 and ruberwardy. So get used to the idea that it will be changed.

Supporting Minetest as a name is absurd and foolhardy.
Umm, no? If you read the IRC chat, they do not say that it is obsolete. Most of the core developers acknowledged that the name has limitations (it sounds far too similar to Minecraft to new people; from experience, this is extremely painful to try to explain, and of course "test" doesn't help either), but also that migrating to a new name has big difficulties, and it is unclear as to whether it's worth the trouble. We also know that many people in the community prefer the current name. Therefore, no official decision has been made one way or another.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

runs

by runs » Post

v-rob wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 16:23
runs wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 09:44
The name Minetest is obsolete according to celeron55 and ruberwardy. So get used to the idea that it will be changed.

Supporting Minetest as a name is absurd and foolhardy.
Umm, no? If you read the IRC chat, they do not say that it is obsolete. Most of the core developers acknowledged that the name has limitations (it sounds far too similar to Minecraft to new people; from experience, this is extremely painful to try to explain, and of course "test" doesn't help either), but also that migrating to a new name has big difficulties, and it is unclear as to whether it's worth the trouble. We also know that many people in the community prefer the current name. Therefore, no official decision has been made one way or another.
Ok, OK. I only ask one thing, whatever you decide to do, do it soon. This is not a normal PR. I mean, let them now throw a million years with indecision.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Possible names:
  • EngineBlock (I find it mildly amusing)
  • OpVox (OpenVoxel is taken)
  • FreeVoxel (Surprisingly, NOT taken!)
  • ItemNest (Ok, not a great choice, but its an anagram of MineTest!)
  • Kubo (Cube in Esperanto)
  • Kubik (Cube in Albanian)
  • ApertaCubum (Open Cube in Latin)
  • LibertasCubus (Freedom Cube in Latin)
  • CubiMachina (Cube Engine<Machine> in Latin)
  • 64KCubed (Probably not pratical, but I like it)
  • NotMineCraft (Only Kidding!)
  • VoxelCosmos (VoxelWorld and VoxelUniverse are taken)
  • Osgev (Open Source Game Engine Voxel)

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

runs wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 20:38
because of the subject "test" which in English means "under test" ((somewhat unfinished and unpolished).
A test is a challenge. The word test does not imply "unfinished" or "unpolished." A mine test is a mining challenge.

I kinda feel like it's a little self-defeating to rename the project just when "Minetest" has finally started to gain some name recognition with major YT videos like from antvenom and others.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

runs

by runs » Post

Mantar wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 20:38
runs wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 20:38
because of the subject "test" which in English means "under test" ((somewhat unfinished and unpolished).
A test is a challenge. The word test does not imply "unfinished" or "unpolished." A mine test is a mining challenge.

I kinda feel like it's a little self-defeating to rename the project just when "Minetest" has finally started to gain some name recognition with major YT videos like from antvenom and others.
No

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/test

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

A test is a challenge
In that vein of thought, Minetest should be Mine Test, at the least.

But,

Test Your Mine. TYM

Or

Test Of Mines. TOM

Shad

runs. In english, my first and primary language, yes. Test = Being Tested. Tested could mean unfinished, or merely tested, as in a test of strength. Is your own strength unchangeable? No. You can increase with exercise and diet, or reduce with sedentary behavior and poor diet.

Test your strength, test your mind, or finish testing the mod already, we want to use it!

Wilderness
GitHub: Wilderness7272
In-game: Wilderness7272+Last_Laugh

by Wilderness » Post

I have decided that if you change the name of Minetest to something else, I will not make any content, such as mods, as it would be a waste of my time. If it would be changed to something more interesting then I would not be as against changing the name. This is basically what you are doing in my point of view: if my online name was 'Wilderness', I don't think changing it to 'silliness_2h518ay9' would be that great. I spent time thinking of a name that I liked for my Forums account, but changing the name of Minetest to something that almost nobody likes seems foolish to me.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Wilderness wrote: changing the name of Minetest to something that almost nobody likes seems foolish to me.
Why would you assume they are going to change it to something no one likes? Assuming they change it at all?

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Mantar wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 20:38
How i imagine it was that Celeron55, crafting together this project in a dark stormy night, had to come up with a name... and since the game was supposed to have mining and was mainly a test of what was possible, the name stuck.

And thus, Celeron55 called it Minetest, turned on the switches, and their great creation rose from the depths of the 2010s programming environment.
Exactly. The name has been stuck for a decade and will continue being stuck for another decade.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

it's not the first time we have this discussion.
and all previous attempts had failed. what is different this time?
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Mantar - I agree. Test is indeed a challenge, not only to play the game at hand but in creating new worlds with new mods to make that world more interesting and challenging.

We should stop pushing for a name change and be happy that the one we currently have is indeed gaining traction online, to new players and on youtube to showcase what is possible in MineTest.

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

by Kilarin » Yesterday, 11:07 pm
Wilderness wrote:
changing the name of Minetest to something that almost nobody likes seems foolish to me.
Why would you assume they are going to change it to something no one likes? Assuming they change it at all?
Do you really like: Test Your Mine. or Test Of Mines or EngineBlock or ApertaCubum or 64KCubed... not to mention that the ones that didn't even get listed are just as bad or worse. what are your thoughts?
by TenPlus1 » Today, 7:18 am

We should stop pushing for a name change and be happy that the one we currently have is indeed gaining traction online, to new players and on youtube to showcase what is possible in 'MineTest'.
Minetest is one word.

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

It sounds like @runs is pushing for a change, but it looks like you are outnumbered. Why keep trying, do you want to brag that you made up the new name for Minetest? I personally agree with @TenPlus1, @Mantar, and @Wilderness.

Also if you were to change the name, it would cause no small amount of tension and disagreement. It would only make it impossible to turn back very well as if at some point Celeron55 wanted to change, then he could push for it sometime at a later date.

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Wilderness wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 14:44
Minetest is one word.
Having a name with more than one word is limiting as it makes it annoying to work out API naming and other things.
Also making a name one word makes it easier to remember.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Wilderness wrote:Do you really like: Test Your Mine. or Test Of Mines or EngineBlock or ApertaCubum or 64KCubed
Nope, but I don't like Minetest either. :)

At this point, I would be quite shocked if they change the name. To much lost of branding. If they DID change the name, I assume they would put some effort into trying to pick something good.

But really, it doesn't matter. I don't like the name Minetest. But I really like the Minetest engine. I'm not playing or modding because of the name. If the powers that be change the name, it is unlikely to affect my enthusiasm for the game one way or another.

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

Kilarin wrote:
I assume they would put some effort into trying to pick something good.
I wouldn't be too sure, at least if people go on with the names mentioned so far...

Unacceptium_core
GitHub: Unacceptium
IRC: same as ingame names
In-game: unacceptium or unbihexium or ununennium or unbiquadium

by Unacceptium_core » Post

i dont want new name but if every1 here wants a non-english name, let me join with one:

VoxelDoboz translates into VoxelCrate or similar.
🇭🇺-i play on android! Metrotest map

ancientmariner
In-game: ancientmariner

by ancientmariner » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:18
@Mantar - I agree. Test is indeed a challenge, not only to play the game at hand but in creating new worlds with new mods to make that world more interesting and challenging.

We should stop pushing for a name change and be happy that the one we currently have is indeed gaining traction online, to new players and on youtube to showcase what is possible in MineTest.
In software development, the word test is highly linked with connotations of checking if it works. Most people who play games associate it with this. Players know what bugs are, they know what lag is, and they know what testing is for. It would be an insult to players to assume otherwise. To me, it does sound like and has always sounded like unfinished mining engine. When you download it, and it's got MTG by default and it feels cold, and lonely. It feels like an 1 person tech project. So the name and default experience are absolutely dreadful from a brand perspective. It does not do MT justice. It is a powerful engine with great games and most won't get that far (I didn't the first time). A name should say something positive about the brand, or as a bare minimum, nothing bad, and I cringe when I use the term to recommend it because the game gives no positive impression.

My belief is that minetest has traction because of it's comprehensive and usable nature. It's good because it works and people can make cool stuff on it. The marketing side of minetest imho needs work, and if you put out videos (do MT even do that?) where you can inform people on your old and new name, you will get people who know to be aware of a new name New name (formerly known as Minetest), and if you do that in about 3-5 vids, you've probably covered most people that knew it by the old name, and keep the old domain and link it to the new site. On the plus side, you can also get away from that other URL that tries to act like MT.

So I would strongly advocate a name change. I think MT will always be niche with techies unless it can get an identity or brand that people can connect with, and that ain't there. I'm sure many here would consider marketing pointless fluff, but so many great products and things have died because people didn't know about them or didn't know of their value. If you have something of value, leverage it.

Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. I'm sure that will resonate with people that work on, or with MT (in some aspects).

Considering the Discord, codebase, and game documentation is in English, picking a non-English name for the sake of it would probably not resonate with many who work on or play/MT. Of course, a made up name could be a way to get around that. Obviously, that's a contentious topic and I get that there are many that wouldn't be keen on that. I would say the first process is agree in principle to a name, draw a long list, short list, and maybe vote (obviously veto any bad names). I think this thread is flawed from the start because it has only 2 names and I didn't think either were convincing. It's a good way to kill the idea from the start.
Last edited by ancientmariner on Fri May 26, 2023 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nope!

by Nope! » Post

Why not change something that is worth the time, can't you be happy about the name and just make the game better? Not worse?
ancientmariner wrote:
A name should say something positive about the brand, or as a bare minimum, nothing bad,
If you change the name, make it a GOOD name, Minetest is good, but if you don't like it then please choose a good name. Something that describes the game, something that is good-sounding, something that is easy to remember.

Sometimes change is good, but in my opinion, so far not a single even slightly good name idea has come up. This change may not be good. If you are set on changing the name and are actively trying to think of a good name, I may try to help, Maybe.
Nope!

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

You people are still at it? Just don't change the name or, if you do change it, make it something that is good or likable.

bzt

by bzt » Post

Wilderness wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 01:10
You people are still at it?
Seems like it.
Wilderness wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 01:10
Just don't change the name
I second this. Is Minetest a terrible name? Yeah. But it is a very well-known name by now; probably one of the most recognized FOSS game brands, comparable to Wesnoth, STK and Xonotic.

The Minetest name is, without any doubt, the most recognized among FOSS voxel games.

Cheers,
bzt

runs

by runs » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 15:07
It sounds like @runs is pushing for a change, but it looks like you are outnumbered. Why keep trying, do you want to brag that you made up the new name for Minetest? I personally agree with @TenPlus1, @Mantar, and @Wilderness.

Also if you were to change the name, it would cause no small amount of tension and disagreement. It would only make it impossible to turn back very well as if at some point Celeron55 wanted to change, then he could push for it sometime at a later date.
I have nothing to do with the subject of change. It has been seriously proposed to do so by the "bosses" of Minetest.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

as long as MTG remains the default built-in game that almost every mod depends on, i see absolutely no reason to go for a different name. the name fits on the box because it is what it is.

also, there are so many minecraft rip-offs with names like craftblock and the like, if we don't want to be mingled with those we should absolutely stay away from that naming scheme.
Minetest stands out because it's different.

as for "test", is there any game on minetest that does more than test what is possible? i think not.
and since the core development is now split off from games and only works on the engine, don't they too just test what is possible?
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

firefox wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 08:03
as long as MTG remains the default built-in game that almost every mod depends on, i see absolutely no reason to go for a different name. the name fits on the box because it is what it is.
Let's push it further: Let MTG be "Minetest" again and rename the engine instead. That is not a big deal, the only ones "seeing" the game engine name are mostly modders and core devs.

Then distribute the engine with something based on Wuzzy"s tutorial.

This would allow the tutorial to explain that what the user downloaded and installed is the game engine "Shmugatzibrog" and that they should download from CDB either Minetest, which is a basic game but has a lot of mods, or complete game (here recommending games featured on CDB would be consistent, I believe).
My game? It's Minefall.

Wilderness

by Wilderness » Post

I have nothing to do with the subject of change. It has been seriously proposed to do so by the "bosses" of Minetest.
Do the 'bosses' as you say really want the name to change? Especially for the worse instead of the better? And by the way, 'Propose' has these synonyms: put forward, suggest, advance, offer, present, move, submit, prefer, file, lodge, initiate, bring, bring forward, come up with, tender, bid, project, recommend, advocate, propound, proffer, posit, table
antonyms: withdraw.

You can see that it has many synonyms, the reason I did not bold all of them is I wanted to say that 'proposal' has a meaning of 'suggestion', 'advance', or 'offer', knowing that, we should acknowledge that it was a suggestion, not an order, and if we do change the name, we should 'advance' it to something better. I say all of this because I have not seen any names that are an improvement, at least, not in my eyes.

These names I admit are not any better, but I will put them out anyway: WorldWonder, NatureWonders.
I say 'Wonder' with this meaning: 'a feeling of surprise mingled with admiration, caused by something beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, or inexplicable'...
I got these meanings from Google Docs.
Last edited by Wilderness on Tue May 30, 2023 18:57, edited 1 time in total.