Underground survival

Midnight
GitHub: MidnightPhantom
IRC: Dragon
In-game: Dragon_Abysss

Underground survival

by Midnight » Post

I wanted to know that has anyone of you tried to survive in a cavern, by digging a rundown going to a cavern, and then planting trees, growing crops, building a base, and mining ores. Well, I did try to make it but has anyone ever thought which one of the default trees is the best to grow underground and why?

But I want you all to do these code changes in the default game copy which you have downloaded and not to the original one, this will make diamonds more abundant in its stratum and will limit their generation.

minetest.register_ore({
ore_type = "scatter",
ore = "default:stone_with_diamond",
wherein = "default:stone",
clust_scarcity = 13 * 13 * 13,
clust_num_ores = 20,
clust_size = 4,
y_max = -1024,
y_min = -2047,
})
minetest.register_ore({
ore_type = "scatter",
ore = "default:stone_with_diamond",
wherein = "default:stone",
clust_scarcity = 11 * 11 * 11,
clust_num_ores = 40,
clust_size = 4,
y_max = -2048,
y_min = -3000,
})

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Underground survival

by firefox » Post

iirc all MTG trees have the same growth conditions, so the actual problem would be illumination.

jungle trees probably grow the most wood, but if the cave isn't high enough you might lose out on leaves/saplings.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Instead of asking the player to change the code of default, you can make a mod that depends on default and de-registers then re-registers the ores*, or better yet distribute a modified copy of default to be installed as a mod - installed mods can override the base game mods.

*that can cause some problems in edge cases, such as when playing with some mods

What kind of tree is best to grow underground? I guess it depends on how much time you have to spend digging upwards, or on the ratio of air to useful materials like wood and leaves in the schematic. I think apple trees are probably just the best because they are not particularly tall. You can fit 2-3 vertical layers of them in the same space as 1 layer of jungle trees. They do produce less wood compared to leaves as a ratio than jungle trees though - those are mostly trunk. Perhaps I'd compromise on aspen. And acacia is right out.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Midnight

by Midnight » Post

firefox wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:13
iirc all MTG trees have the same growth conditions, so the actual problem would be illumination.

jungle trees probably grow the most wood, but if the cave isn't high enough you might lose out on leaves/saplings.
Well here if you try growing a jungle tree underground it will basically lose one to two wood nodes because of the light source you place as diagonally light level for a light source light meselamp is around 12 which is not good.

Midnight

by Midnight » Post

Actually I was just wanting to know how am I supposed to make a mod that can override the grass growing and sapling growth function for it can help in this issue for you can easily grow grass and trees underground with light level of 12 or 11. Can you give me the code.

rob123
GitHub: qwerty123a2
In-game: joe and joergeg

by rob123 » Post

Midnight wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 04:32
Actually I was just wanting to know how am I supposed to make a mod that can override the grass growing and sapling growth function for it can help in this issue for you can easily grow grass and trees underground with light level of 12 or 11. Can you give me the code.
maybe minetest.override_item(name, redefinition)
If thinks it is an abm so you will have to look at the lua api:https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... lua_api.md
If my post says something, it is a opinion and not fact unless i say so

Midnight

by Midnight » Post

Ok thanks