Ethereal [mod] Biome Poll:

Should Ethereal [mod] use default biomes and only add it's own special one's ??

YES - I like default biomes, just add the new one's.
50%
NO - I prefer Ethereal the way it is.
30%
OTHER - Please detail in comments below.
20%

Total votes: 10

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Ethereal [mod] Biome Poll:

by TenPlus1 » Post

A quick count to see who would like Ethereal mod to keep it's own biome's as-is, or for simplicity's sake use the already registered Default biomes and just add it's own special one's with decorations ?

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Ethereal [mod] Biome Poll:

by Blockhead » Post

Ethereal has always taken over the mapgen and I think that's fine as a default. However I do think all mapgen mods that aren't part of the base game should provide the option about whether to remove the base game biomes (which ethereal now does) and which of their biomes they add (which ethereal does).

I also support Ethereal's recent refactoring to add _under versions of biomes like default has.

All in all am quite satisfied with how ethereal handles mapgen. A change to enabling the default biomes by default would probably accidentally introduce a break in a lot of servers' mapgens. Let those users who want default biomes have them by turning that option on in the configuration.

Ethereal can't work solely through decorations either. It defines new grasses and a fantasy setting basically.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

i don't know how exactly the default biomes are distributed in comparison to their ethereal counterparts but this would have to be taken into consideration when making the change, to avoid uncanny transitions.

in the case that the counterparts used the same coordinates i see no problem with using the default, especially since MTG is now frozen.
overall compatibility with other mods would increases, but it could make the extra biomes feel empty since they are left out of other mod's influences.

iirc mobs redo has different spawn settings for default and ethereal biomes, but if ethereal would include default biomes would it still make the differentiation?
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The current Ethereal biomes were trying to use real-life heat and humidity values instead of voronoi placement, so changing it to use default biomes would indeed cause it's own biome values to be changed.

Blockhead had a good idea of providing a switch that could be toggled between both settings, that would take a little thought for compatibility and may be the better option.

Mobs Redo and Farming Redo could easily be tweaked to take changed into account.

And of course any other ideas are more than welcome :p