Media Licenses and MT cache.

ShadMOrdre

Media Licenses and MT cache.

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Responding separately to something @Blockhead states viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29526.

I think the transfer of media and other potential "assets" from the server to the client can easily be addressed by clearing the cache of the client upon disconnect from the server, and encrypting the cache while the client is connected, so that assets cannot be otherwise infringed.

Currently, it is not cleared at all. Minetest, if not restarted in between connections or reconnections to servers can sometimes be slowed by the shear amount of data in the cache, that should be cleared at some point.

I've found on previous versions, a small change in code does not reflect in a new world, unless I've cleared the cache.

I know that clearing the cache appears to defeat the purpose, but the purpose isn't to permanently house media, it is simply to make a local copy available during game play for performance reasons.

With this in mind, clearing the cache of a particular servers media content and encrypting said content within the cache should be the default behaviour, or setting enabled at the least. This can more properly ensure the licensed protection of the content in question.

Shad

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Re: Media Licenses and MT cache.

by Blockhead » Post

I think the solution isn't to be less open, it's the be more open.

People overly protective of assets can sue for infringement if they find unauthorised copies reupload somewhere else. I'm not in favour of DRM - yes, this is a proposal for DRM. It is DRM, the kind of technology that doesn't prevent piracy but just makes it harder. DRM in AAA titles had to evolve to the point of complexity that Denuvo and the like had before warez groups would have to crack individual titles and not the DRM schemes themselves. Going that far takes an awfully long time, and is not in Minetest's interests.

Even for DRM schemes, your proposal is not well-thought-out. DRM will often keep local copies, but require a remote server to transmit decryption keys. This is much smarter than simply deleting the contents of the cache. But again it's not in Minetest's interest or benefit to make such a scheme. It only furthers proprietary software. We tolerate proprietary software, but we don't have to enable it. For anyone who cares, the engine can be modified for proprietary use and not redistributed, that's not against licence terms.

Transmit the LICENSE files of mods so that clients know what they're getting when they connect. Integrate REUSE compliance right into the engine. Maybe even a scheme for finding mod sources, a bit like JavaScript License Web Labels. This makes Minetest more transparent and there is potential to save not only lost servers as we have with world downloading, but also their asset files in this proposal, including their licence.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂