[Request] Fork Minetest and Apply Patches

cornernote

[Request] Fork Minetest and Apply Patches

by cornernote » Post

removed
Last edited by cornernote on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Up until he disappeared, Karhl had been responsible for maintaining a fairly advanced fork that brought us goodies like stairs (and doors!). Nobody knows where Karhl is at the moment, but I've got a suspicion he's probably lurking under a different account.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

what was his username?
cant find a Karhl - http://minetest.net/forum/userlist.php? ... r+criteria

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

He's on github. The last update to any of his repos was 6 months ago.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

ok, probably not Kharl, but someone like that who is active, knows c++, and has the time to contribute to applying these patches.

Josh

by Josh » Post

I had lots of ideas for minetest this morning. Some of them are pretty cool for example: The name Minetest is a bit bland i think it should be PlaneCraft. I chose this name because this is how i think minetest should be:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. You are a pliot named James and your plane crashes down on and island (A minetest world) and you have to find the materials
to repair it
2. We need a suitable character a white shirt and pants seems suitable enough.
3. You can choose 2 game modes Story or Sandbox sandbox is what you normally do but the story mode is the plane idea
4. We need to have some better sounds. I think the sounds in the Dwarves game by Mito551 sound great
5. We also need to have a suitable texture pack. For example: Gridtoon (My faivrote is Gridtoon) Or Minetoon or just something interesting. But no minecraft texture packs.
6. We need to have the atmosphere of minetest different from minecraft's.
7. Monsters not an overkill of them just about 3 or 4 should keep the game adventurous (PilzAdams simple mobs mod would be fine)
8. We could make the game educational. Then schools could use it: for example the game gives you information on what building material your using. This could make minetest more popular.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think one day Minetest could be like this. If it did it would be because everyone in this community would all have worked together. But we will just have to see what happens.
And of course we would need to fix bugs.
Last edited by Josh on Thu Oct 04, 2012 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

cool game idea, but i think minetest should be an engine that allows members of the community to create games, such as the one you described.

most of those things can be done with lua and the current minetest engine.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Yes but there are 2 more questions:
1. How would i create a 1st person plane crash scene
2. How would i make a pop up bubble describing the building material. (That's related to the educational thing)
I would like to create this game if those 2 things were possible :)

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

This is not the right thread to ask for feature help, I will assist but please ask any followup questions in a new post.
Josh wrote:1. How would i create a 1st person plane crash scene
You may have to get creative if you want cut scenes. This may be something that could be added to the engine later.

For now, perhaps when the player joins, they are in a plane (that you make from nodes) They can only see the inside, so the outside doesnt matter.

Rig it with TNT, then detonate. They will die, just respawn them to the ground.

or something like that...
Josh wrote:2. How would i make a pop up bubble describing the building material.
You need to use a formspec. Perhaps there can be an "information" node (like a chest). When you put an item into it, it tells you all about it.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

I had a similar idea too. ;)
Feel free to fork it anyway and apply patches. :)

MarkTraceur

by MarkTraceur » Post

Hi, coming back after a while, thought I'd make some notes.

1. Forking a project takes a lot of effort. The community seems to be made up mostly of people who just want to add a feature and leave, which isn't the sustained effort we need here.

2. There are a lot more Lua devs than C++ devs. This isn't helpful, but it means that at least minetest_game could be forked easily.

3. There are a lot of people who could help in little doses. Use the masses, and get stuff done.

4. Interacting with other free (software|culture) organizations (Open Game Art, LibrePlanet, Students for Free Culture, OpenHatch) could be really helpful in gaining new _contributors_ as opposed to just gaining more _trolls_.

5. And getting rid of the trolls might lessen the chances that c55/kahrl/myself and others like us skip out on occasion. Maybe.
Mods: https://gitorious.org/marktraceur-minetest-mods
IRC: marktraceur on freenode

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

I am working on a fork of minetest_game: https://github.com/PilzAdam/minetest_game

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

This is a good idea.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

someone should make it so the lua api doesn't lag so much
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Josh wrote:I had lots of ideas for minetest this morning. Some of them are pretty cool for example: The name Minetest is a bit bland i think it should be PlaneCraft. I chose this name because this is how i think minetest should be:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. You are a pliot named James and your plane crashes down on and island (A minetest world) and you have to find the materials
to repair it
3. You can choose 2 game modes Story or Sandbox sandbox is what you normally do but the story mode is the plane idea
4. We need to have some better sounds. I think the sounds in the Dwarves game by Mito551 sound great
5. We also need to have a suitable texture pack. For example: Gridtoon (My faivrote is Gridtoon) Or Minetoon or just something interesting. But no minecraft texture packs.
7. Monsters not an overkill of them just about 3 or 4 should keep the game adventurous (PilzAdams simple mobs mod would be fine)
8. We could make the game educational. Then schools could use it: for example the game gives you information on what building material your using. This could make minetest more popular.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think one day Minetest could be like this. If it did it would be because everyone in this community would all have worked together. But we will just have to see what happens.
1. storyline for MT, seriously? beat the minecraft (which you, sadly, can do) and read the internet. it's just not possible and not supposed to be. but as the story for some other crafty-adventure game, it sounds cool!
2. yes! there was a c++ change, which implemented a nice 3d model.
3. read 1st.
4. thank you, i appreciate that! nobody liked it seems, though. i posted this separetly as a sound pack. nobody said a word...
5. yes! minetoon is awesome!
6. that's what i'm aiming at with my dwarves gamemode.
7. yeah, simple mobs are just the type. but then - what about peaceful mobs?
8. NO(><)/ that's something you shouldn't do. as the fork - yes. but the default game - noo. that would be like selling yourselves. it's not the future minetest deserves.

and i totally agree with the naming issue. celeron should totally do the rebrending. MT sounds cheesy and too minecraft-ish. i have already said, that in my language there is a saying which goes smth like that - "Boat's name is a way to sail", which means that the name of the project determines the way it develops. so mt will always stay just the test. even now i spend more time testing than playing.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Mito551 wrote:
Josh wrote:I had lots of ideas for minetest this morning. Some of them are pretty cool for example: The name Minetest is a bit bland i think it should be PlaneCraft. I chose this name because this is how i think minetest should be:
to repair it
1. storyline for MT, seriously? beat the minecraft (which you, sadly, can do) and read the internet. it's just not possible and not supposed to be. but as the story for some other crafty-adventure game, it sounds cool!
2. yes! there was a c++ change, which implemented a nice 3d model.
3. read 1st.
4. thank you, i appreciate that! nobody liked it seems, though. i posted this separetly as a sound pack. nobody said a word...
5. yes! minetoon is awesome!
6. that's what i'm aiming at with my dwarves gamemode.
7. yeah, simple mobs are just the type. but then - what about peaceful mobs?
8. NO(><)/ that's something you shouldn't do. as the fork - yes. but the default game - noo. that would be like selling yourselves. it's not the future minetest deserves.

and i totally agree with the naming issue. celeron should totally do the rebrending. MT sounds cheesy and too minecraft-ish. i have already said, that in my language there is a saying which goes smth like that - "Boat's name is a way to sail", which means that the name of the project determines the way it develops. so mt will always stay just the test. even now i spend more time testing than playing.
I totally agree about changing the name. What about something like NodeMiner or Nodes? If not we could just get the current version take out all the default mods put some new mods in such as: Beds, Mobs or Moreores and have a really nice game.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

well, I'm not the developer. if celeron is ok with that, i'd be glad to give up my modpack/gamemode name. there already was a topic discussing the names stuff.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Mito551 wrote:well, I'm not the developer. if celeron is ok with that, i'd be glad to give up my modpack/gamemode name. there already was a topic discussing the names stuff.
Or adapt Dwarves as Minetest...........
Last edited by Josh on Sat Oct 06, 2012 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

what do you mean?

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

this topic is not about mods, or gamemodes. it's about the minetest engine.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

that is obvious. my general opinion on mt engine is that it has to be more smooth and pretty. like minecraft's. do you understand what i mean?
Last edited by Mito551 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Mito551 wrote:what do you mean?
I mean make Dwarves (Your game mode) the official minetest game.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Josh wrote:
Nice in theory, but it would make the download and load times huge. Plus 4.3 crashes like crazy for me, even moreso when I have a bunch of mods installed (or Dwarves). Not that I don't love Dwarves. We need more gamemodes like this. But I'm not sure it makes a good part of the default download.

As far as needing more C++ developers to dedicate a boatload of time... well cornernote devotes a boatload of time. He's along with Pilz and Sapier are our prime candidate for learning c++ and helping celeron. I wrote some c++ around 25 years ago, made a can of spam move around the screen using a mouse. Thought I was kewl. Malloc and calloc stink. So do pointers. Does c++ still use that stuff?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Oct 07, 2012 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Neuromancer wrote:As far as needing more C++ developers to dedicate a boatload of time... well cornernote devotes a boatload of time. He's along with Pilz and Sapier are our prime candidate for learning c++ and helping celeron.

I know nothing about irrlicht or 3d game development. I didnt even know what mipmap was.

I'm a good programmer, but i dont know a lot of c++ and I don't think its in my interest to invest time learning that. There are so many skills I already have that I can contribute, this would mean those skills are wasted and replaced with something i'm not very good at.

PilzAdam is in the same case. He is working hard to make a better minetest_game, and to bring a lot of abandoned mods in the forum up to commercial quality, as well as helping active modders to improve their code. Asking him to do more c++ would be a waste of his skills.

So many people in the community contribute, and minetest is moving really fast now. Problem is everyone has their own projects, and most people are here because minetest is a fun game, and lua is fun and easy to learn, not because they are hardcore c++ programmers.

Like @MarkTraceur says, there are a lot more lua coders than c++ coders, and people with the skills we need don't tend to stick around.

Perhaps we need to help OC make minetest.org look fantastic, and then start spreading the word on social media sites.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Neuromancer wrote:
Josh wrote:
Nice in theory, but it would make the download and load times huge.
i'd be really honored, (and honestly, my aim was/is to unify MT in it's diversity of mods everyone's using) but it really is heavy. if someone could tell me how to lighten it, i'd be glad to :)

there was this as-he-says good, but self-taught c++ coder, richrdmv. he may be able help MT.