So vanilla lacks lots of features, what mods do you use?

Shadowmang

So vanilla lacks lots of features, what mods do you use?

by Shadowmang » Post

I like this project a lot. It's free software and runs nicely on my hardware. However game is pretty bland even when compared to Minecraft alpha.
But like Minecraft, the modding community can add features and even better, those features have a hope of making it into the vanilla.

So I assume most of you use mods to add in features missed from MC, which ones do you use?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest is basically a game engine, and ALL content is added by mods: even the "bland game" is a mod

I use PilzAdam's Minetest_Game, and a selection of other mods like Mesecons (Redstone), and Carts

PS: Technicaly, You cant actually mod minecraft, as you have to decompile the code and then add stuff. A mod is a seperate piece of code that adds features.

Shadowmang

by Shadowmang » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Minetest is basically a game engine, and ALL content is added by mods: even the "bland game" is a mod

I use PilzAdam's Minetest_Game, and a selection of other mods like Mesecons (Redstone), and Carts

PS: Technicaly, You cant actually mod minecraft, as you have to decompile the code and then add stuff. A mod is a seperate piece of code that adds features.
Those look interesting!

And also I meant "mods" as in "modifications" not game mods in the traditional sense

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

bones
drowning
farming [modified]
growing
hunger
junglegrass
lavacooling [modified]
mobs [modified]
[one not released]
moreores
papyrus_bed
paths
scaffolding
[another one not released]
stoneage
WorldEdit
worldtime
xbar
xfence
xpanes

p.s. I like surveys.
Last edited by Casimir on Mon Oct 22, 2012 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A wide variety of them:

for fun above ground/flora and fauna:
farming and farming_plus for - well - farming and a lot of fun (very decorative plants)
mobf for animals - only the "friendly" ones (including wolf)
flowers, bushes, vines, junglegrass - mostly nature_pack_controlled but experimenting a bit recently
4seasons - very nice leaves, winter and birds
timber - better way of getting wood
food - to turn the results of the farming into food
unifieddyes - turning plants into colors

for building (small house on singleplayer):
3dforniture - table, chair, armchair, lamp, complete bathroom set :-)
beds - fits well to 3dforniture. Also useful for carrying around to turn night into day.
papyrus_bed - very decorative bed
xfences

for serious building (usually on a multiplayer server):
homedecor - almost all you need for your house
moreblocks - glowglass etc.
stairsplus - panels, slabs, microblocks, etc.
darkage - adds a lot of blocks that are a good basis for a house

for mining:
moreores - if you want to mine don't miss that
technic - processing of the gathered ores and a bit playing around with setting up the machinery

useful tools:
craft_guide - useful for looking up receipes
inventory_plus - needed by other mods
home_gui - finally getting back home!
bookmarks_gui - allows to teleport back to intresting locations
bags - very useful; extend inventory
armor - looks decorative and helps if accidently unfriendly mobs are experimented with
mobf_settings - controlling the mobf-animals

other mods:
worldedit - to import and export buildings and for larger structures
towntest - a npc will build your buildings with the given materials. Really nice!
mesecons - built logic circuits

Those are the mods I use most of the time. But even with those mods I sometimes activate only those I'll need for the planned gaming session - that is, if I intend to mine, most of the above-ground-mods may be moved into another directory and thus be deactivated for that session. If I want to do something with them (or explore new territory) I move them back. Thus game startup doesn't take too long. (
Last edited by Sokomine on Mon Oct 22, 2012 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

3dforniture clean farming_plus home_gui map papyrus_bed stairsplus xdoors2_mesecons alias clouds fire_flowers hydro mesecons particles technic xfences ambience craft_guide flowers inventory_plus mesecons_blockdetector pipeworks tnt xpanes armor drippingwater food jumping repair_trees trash building_blocks drowning growing_grass jungletree moreblocks serverown update.sh builtin_item falling_items growing_trees kotolegotkot moreores signs xbar carts farming habitat lights painting snow xdoors2

most mods are not modified but i have changed the ammount of particles spawned

update.sh is just a simple script i wrote to update all the mods i have installed
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Josh

by Josh » Post

I use:
Farming (PilzAdam)
Decoplants (Me)
Mesecons (Jeija)
Beds with spawnpoint (PilzAdam + Echo)
Deathsword (Me)
Obsidian (IPushButton2653)
-------------------------------------

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

I would also like a list a of mods that would make the game extremely varied, but would also allow me to play on most servers.
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

When you connect to a server, the server handles the mods. The mods you installed locally are not used in that case. Thus you can use whatever mods you like for singleplayer and still connect to all servers.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Oh, but what if other players are not using the mods i use? do the items still show up , for example if i used moreores, and i placed them in a chest, but friend A doesnt have moreores, would the ores still show up?
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Psychotic wrote:Oh, but what if other players are not using the mods i use? do the items still show up , for example if i used moreores, and i placed them in a chest, but friend A doesnt have moreores, would the ores still show up?
Your example:
- If the server has installed moreores, you and your friend can see and use moreores (even though your friend hasn't installed moreores on his local computer)
- If the server has not installed moreores, both of you can't see or use moreores (even though you have moreores installed on your local computer)

Your example-2
- When you use your computer as a server to let you friend play on your computer both of you can use and see moreores
- When your friend's computer acts as a server to let you play on it, both of you don't have moreores