*Sigh* I knew this day would come..

Aqua

*Sigh* I knew this day would come..

by Aqua » Post

Moderators feel free to move it to the correct section. I just want as many people to see it as possible.

I'm here to tell a sad tale. I've finally had the courage to log onto Gameboom for the first time in months. And its not a nice sight.
Gameboom is dead. I hardly recognize the place that I have spent countless hours on...

The grand building I had build over Spawn was completely destroyed.

My Ex-Mansion:

Spawn Mines:

Central Spawn:

Houses Near Spawn:

Death Traps...

The server is chaos. It looks like it was meant for griefers.
I'm not blaming anyone, but the griefers should come clean(points at LandMine)(I have proof).
This is also a lesson for other servers. Make sure its well protected:
1. Have a landclaim or protect mod.
2. Don't give interact by default, make players ask on the forums.
3. Have a reliable admin that is on at least every 2 days.
May Gameboom live forever. Unless...
Last edited by Aqua on Wed Feb 27, 2013 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Hi there ^.~

BorisGrishenko

by BorisGrishenko » Post

I've been there before it came *poof, dead*, I wanted to come back but when I saw this, everything changed.
Hi, I'm this guy at his home somewhere in a very hot place.
Currently working on houses based in real and virtual worlds.
Judge Minister Claude Frollo should be a Disney Prince.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Wow. Such devastation! People can be so mean and destructive.
Aqua wrote:1. Have a landclaim or protect mod.
I completely agree with points one and three. It is most unfortunate that jerks exist, but they do. Precautions must be taken.
Aqua wrote:2. Don't give interact by default, make players ask on the forums.
I disagree with point two though. There is such thing as taking it too far. Requiring people ask for interact is discouraging and uninviting to new players. When I was starting out, I completely refused to play on servers that didn't grant interact by default. I didn't even have a forum account to ask with, and had no plans on giving out my email address to yet another site, just to play on servers that didn't seem to want to welcome new players anyway. To not have interact is to close the server off, even if you allow all who ask to enter. Sure, it's a great way to keep out vandals sometimes, but it's also an even better way to keep out shy legitimate players.

Even now, I never do any serous building on servers that don't both grant interact by default (or at least provide an automated way to get it, such as at Redcrab's place) and provide a way to protect creations without requiring staff help. While staff members should be on to help things run smoothly, the server should be set up to practically run itself, in my opinion.

I have interact on a couple of these "exclusive club servers" as I call them, but only because I logged in to look around and the owners recognized me from the forum and granted me interact. I had no intentions of asking, I was just planing to look around a bit. While I sometimes build small houses while talking to people there, I never build anything of substantial worth, as even with membership, it feels too exclusive.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

0gb.us wrote:Wow. Such devastation! People can be so mean and destructive.
I completely agree with points one and three. It is most unfortunate that jerks exist, but they do. Precautions must be taken.
Aqua wrote:2. Don't give interact by default, make players ask on the forums.
I disagree with point two though. There is such thing as taking it too far. Requiring people ask for interact is discouraging and uninviting to new players. When I was starting out, I completely refused to play on servers that didn't grant interact by default. I didn't even have a forum account to ask with, and had no plans on giving out my email address to yet another site, just to play on servers that didn't seem to want to welcome new players anyway. To not have interact is to close the server off, even if you allow all who ask to enter. Sure, it's a great way to keep out vandals sometimes, but it's also an even better way to keep out shy legitimate players.

Even now, I never do any serous building on servers that don't both grant interact by default (or at least provide an automated way to get it, such as at Redcrab's place) and provide a way to protect creations without requiring staff help. While staff members should be on to help things run smoothly, the server should be set up to practically run itself, in my opinion.

I have interact on a couple of these "exclusive club servers" as I call them, but only because I logged in to look around and the owners recognized me from the forum and granted me interact. I had no intentions of asking, I was just planing to look around a bit. While I sometimes build small houses while talking to people there, I never build anything of substantial worth, as even with membership, it feels too exclusive.
Mmm, yes, I know the feeling. When I have opened one of my local worlds, I check their IP before giving them interact. Even if its an IRC buddy.
Last edited by Jordach on Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Jordach wrote:Mmm, yes, I know the feeling. When I have opened one of my local worlds, I check their IP before giving them interact. Even if its an IRC buddy.
How do you check IP addresses from Minetest?

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

The console shows the IP when players join afaik.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

If a server is well protected, it can enable interact by default just fine. A lot of Minecraft servers do this and they aren't griefed like hell. ;)

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

I don't like having to ask for interact either but it may be safer for servers like Gamboom which doesn't have any from of protection from griefers.
Hi there ^.~

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Traxie21 wrote:The console shows the IP when players join afaik.
Terminal wrote:03:34:57: ACTION[ServerThread]: 0gb_us leaves game. List of players:
03:40:54: ACTION[ServerThread]: 0gb_us joins game. List of players: 0gb_us
03:40:55: ACTION[ServerThread]: A sapling grows into a tree at (18,-142,18)
Nope. I've seen people log in over and over, but I just checked to be sure. I also included the line just before and just after, to show it isn't a multi-line thing. I do see IP addresses, but only when dealing with incompatable clients trying to log in.
Aqua wrote:I don't like having to ask for interact either but it may be safer for servers like Gamboom which doesn't have any from of protection from griefers.
Exactly. Protection OR asking for interact. No need for both.

Oh. I think I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were saying all servers should have all three of these:
2. Don't give interact by default, make players ask on the forums.
Were you actually saying every server should have at least one of the three?

nomohakon
IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

How can i visit gameboom server? I can't find adress.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Gameboom still has some unique places to discover, although getting set back 3 blocks for every 4 you walk (not even fast!) is very discouraging. I get nauseated by that movement when I walk (try to walk) a bit further. One of the last time I was on, someone burned down a very nice (wooden) Trojan horse. I was lucky I could still see it a bit before it was lost.

nomohakon wrote:How can i visit gameboom server? I can't find adress.
address: boomtown.atomicle.com port: 30000
0gb.us wrote:Requiring people ask for interact is discouraging and uninviting to new players. When I was starting out, I completely refused to play on servers that didn't grant interact by default. I didn't even have a forum account to ask with, and had no plans on giving out my email address to yet another site, just to play on servers that didn't seem to want to welcome new players anyway.
I agree with that, I almost forgot about how much I hesitated before trying one out (gameboom).

Edit: typo
Last edited by Topywo on Wed Feb 27, 2013 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

nomohakon
IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

Topywo wrote:
nomohakon wrote:How can i visit gameboom server? I can't find adress.
address: boomtown.atomicle.com port: 30000
Thanks!
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Anyone want to try Operation: Clean up Gameboom? I bet if enough people help, we could make it look nice again, although it will probably be re-greifed.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I've considered making my private server public, but this is what I'm afraid of happening and this is what keeps me from doing it.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Traxie21 wrote:Anyone want to try Operation: Clean up Gameboom? I bet if enough people help, we could make it look nice again, although it will probably be re-greifed.
If it updated to github, then yes, definitely
My mods: The Nether | Doctor Who (WIP)

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

That was what I meant. Guess I didn't make it clear enough. -_-
lkjoel wrote:
Traxie21 wrote:Anyone want to try Operation: Clean up Gameboom? I bet if enough people help, we could make it look nice again, although it will probably be re-greifed.
I've already tried once and it was griefed again. The server needs an admin. It has no protection from griefers. I don't know...
Hi there ^.~

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Aqua wrote:-snip-
lkjoel wrote:
I've already tried once and it was griefed again. The server needs an admin. It has no protection from griefers. I don't know...
Right, but that's after the node permissions have been set

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Aqua wrote:
That was what I meant. Guess I didn't make it clear enough. -_-
In that case, I withdraw my objections.

Nah, it's not your fault for the lack of clarity. Natural language is too ambiguous, one sentence can mean many things depending on how the reader interprets it.

LandMine

by LandMine » Post

You are right aqua it was me :)....tbh i went easy on you guys :) the problem of this server is that there is no spawn set...so players would respawn in random places. so it was hard to set a decent spawn trap.

let the hate begin!
List Of My Creative Servers - http://planetminetest.com
The Walls - PvP Map - http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2906

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

LandMine wrote:You are right aqua it was me :)....tbh i went easy on you guys :) the problem of this server is that there is no spawn set...so players would respawn in random places. so it was hard to set a decent spawn trap.

let the hate begin!
I see, cool!

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

I'm going to love and tolerate the crap outta you! <3

chamweisheng

by chamweisheng » Post

LandMine is a killing us pls help us

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

LandMine wrote:You are right aqua it was me :)....tbh i went easy on you guys :) the problem of this server is that there is no spawn set...so players would respawn in random places. so it was hard to set a decent spawn trap.

let the hate begin!
Then perhaps you should consider fixing everything (everything) that you damaged. Your building capabilities should be more than capable of doing so. GameBoom's server is a living museum of Minetest's past. If acts of griefing and slaying continue there, that piece of history will be gone... for all of eternity...

The server is in desperate need of moderators and of a system just like the one in place on Redcrab's main server. Nothing less will do, for the crime rate on GameBoom's server makes it the most dangerous server to play on.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

I gave up on Gameboom a few months back, after Bad_command left the server went downhill fast. Within a few days of Bad gone the map was corrupt destroying the spawn area, all my hard work was at wetmatrix wich was around 20,000,0,1300 or something like that. Because i cant remember the cords i will never find the place again, the other part that annoys me was the mods where never updated. This was ok for 0.4.2 but as the others were released, it never really got updated. Gamebooms dead and really the whole server and map needs a revamp
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

ch98

by ch98 » Post

This server may need total cleanup by new map and save the old map (what is left of it) for downloading before it is too late. If it got popular enough to grow that much, it may be possible to again.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.