HELLO FELLOW NINJAS. [Introduction thread]

Sylvertech

HELLO FELLOW NINJAS. [Introduction thread]

by Sylvertech » Post

I have been interested in Minecraft ever since Beta 1.3 or something,
and ever since I have been trying to find an open source version for me to learn from and contribute to.

I should have searched harder, but here I am.

First of all, I totally LOVE how people are working on an open source version, since this allows more ideas to flow in,
as well as more people to help and add features and improve and optimize.

By the way, have you all heard of the Oculus Rift?
You should have.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Sylvertech wrote:By the way, have you all heard of the Oculus Rift?
You should have.
Yes, unfortunately the Occulus Rift kit which was gifted to eihrul was stolen by ogros.
Welcome.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Welcome!
I just want to note one thing: Minetest it not an open source version of Minecraft, its a game that is inspired by Minecraft, Infiniminer and simmiliar games.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sat Mar 02, 2013 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Yes be careful when saying minetest is a version of minecraft some people won't mind while some will kindly correct you and others will yell.
And welcome to minetest its a great game and may you stay here for a long time.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Sylvertech

by Sylvertech » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Welcome!
I just want to note one thing: Minetest it not an open source version of Minecraft, its a game that is inspired by Minecraft, Infiniminer and simmiliar games.
I know, and I am sorry; I was just too excited with my finding. :D

I think I'll be diving into the code next weekend just out of pure adrenaline rush. :)

Edit: No drowning under water? *Cracks back, knucles, and neck*
"Shit just got real."

PS. Underwater caves. lol that was my first death in DF.

Edit2: Just saw the mod so Nvm the drowning bit.
I'll just check whether the world generation is being worked on as well.
Last edited by Sylvertech on Sat Mar 02, 2013 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Welcome to Minetest Sylver! I'd be glad to assist you in your journey in any way possible. :D

Josh

by Josh » Post

Welcome Sylvertech! Have you built a house in minetest yet?

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Welcome :D
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Sun Mar 03, 2013 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Welcome. If you need any assistance with coding I can help. BTW do you have the dev version or the official/stable release?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Sylvertech

by Sylvertech » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Welcome. If you need any assistance with coding I can help. BTW do you have the dev version or the official/stable release?
I downloaded both the binary - to try the game - and the source code of the 0.4.4.

I'd be happy to switch to the development version if that is more convenient for collaborating.

I'll just dive into the code. It'll take me some time to absorb everything;
is there anything else I should know other than the source code and the implementations of the 3-4 libraries used?
Last edited by Sylvertech on Sun Mar 03, 2013 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

It'd be good to know that the Lua side is very important, as tons and TONS of customization is done there. In fact, quite of a bit of the behavior of even the default game is implemented in the Lua. I personally think it would be a good rule of thumb to expose as much of any new functionality added to the C++ core to Lua mods through an API as is possible without significantly impacting performance (though the guidance of the key contributors to the engine would certainly be more valuable than my own).

I plan to start looking at the engine C++ code at some point too. I've already taken small ventures into it to help me better understand and help document some of the Lua API calls. It does seem to be a good place to get aquainted with the functionality of the game, and understand some of the shortcomings as well. Take a look at the Developer Wiki if you haven't seen it yet.

Have fun!

Sylvertech

by Sylvertech » Post

prestidigitator wrote:It'd be good to know that the Lua side is very important, as tons and TONS of customization is done there. In fact, quite of a bit of the behavior of even the default game is implemented in the Lua. I personally think it would be a good rule of thumb to expose as much of any new functionality added to the C++ core to Lua mods through an API as is possible without significantly impacting performance (though the guidance of the key contributors to the engine would certainly be more valuable than my own).

I plan to start looking at the engine C++ code at some point too. I've already taken small ventures into it to help me better understand and help document some of the Lua API calls. It does seem to be a good place to get aquainted with the functionality of the game, and understand some of the shortcomings as well. Take a look at the Developer Wiki if you haven't seen it yet.

Have fun!
I do not know yet how much is coded in Lua,
and so I honestly thought all the Modders were working with that. 0.0
(I was surprised there were contributors who hadn't gone into the C parts yet)

Anyway I can't believe I missed the developer's wiki.

Thanks for the link.