Lets plays?

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 14:38

onpon4 wrote:Alright, how about I make a suggestion?

8:00 PM UTC/GMT. That would be 4:00 PM Eastern and 1:00 PM Pacific.

Where do you want to play on? Mito's server?
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 14:56

I'm living in GMT+4. so that would be... i'm confused by your post, onpon. and i insist on playing dwarves...(at least some kind of modification of it)

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 15:07

Mito551 wrote:I'm living in GMT+4. so that would be... i'm confused by your post, onpon. and i insist on playing dwarves...(at least some kind of modification of it)

Thats fine man, how would i go about installing dwarves with minetest?

And mine is UTC-8:00 Pacific Time ( US & Canada )
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 16:23

you download minetest, unpack it and then kick in the whole dwarves-game and dwarves-server stuff in games folder, whereas textures go in textures folder :) it's really simple. but i haven't updated dwarves in a while, lemme do that right now...

it makes 12-hour difference...

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 16:53

so if it
Mito551 wrote:you download minetest, unpack it and then kick in the whole dwarves-game and dwarves-server stuff in games folder, whereas textures go in textures folder :) it's really simple. but i haven't updated dwarves in a while, lemme do that right now...

so if its 12 am here, its 12 pm in russia?

Err, what do you mean by kick in? where do i install the files to? i apologise for my stupidity, i just want to make sure it works

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 17:36

Psychotic wrote:so if it
Mito551 wrote:you download minetest, unpack it and then kick in the whole dwarves-game and dwarves-server stuff in games folder, whereas textures go in textures folder :) it's really simple. but i haven't updated dwarves in a while, lemme do that right now...

Err, what do you mean by kick in? where do i install the files to? i apologise for my stupidity, i just want to make sure it works

i mean there are folders: games and textures. you just put them in the root minetest folder (folder, which has bin, fonts, games, etc folders)

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 17:53

Mito551 wrote:

i mean there are folders: games and textures. you just put them in the root minetest folder (folder, which has bin, fonts, games, etc folders)

I think im starting to get the picture. One i install it, do i unzip the file?

the minetest game itself i mean
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 18:06

Psychotic wrote:
Mito551 wrote:

I think im starting to get the picture. One i install it, do i unzip the file?

the minetest game itself i mean

you unzip only once (or twice if you count the minetest itself)

onpon4

by onpon4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 18:11

Psychotic wrote:

UTC would be my time correct? and i might be able to get on, depends on when the internet guy gets here, ive been using a crappy hotspot for a while now, so thats why i havent been able to get minetest

Didn't you say you're Pacific? 8:00 UTC is 1:00 Pacific. UTC is in Europe, it stands for some French phrase because of politics but means universal coordinated time, kind of a common reference point for everyone. Like you said, Pacific is normally UTC-8 (i.e. 8 hours less than the time in UTC), but it's UTC-7 right now because of daylight saving time.

In any case, if 1:00 is too early for you, how about 11:00 PM UTC? In Pacific time that would be 4:00 PM and in Eastern time that would be 7:00 PM.

Or we could do it tomorrow if that's too early. That would actually be more convenient for me, personally (because I'll have my microphone tomorrow).

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 18:18

onpon4 wrote:
Psychotic wrote:

UTC would be my time correct? and i might be able to get on, depends on when the internet guy gets here, ive been using a crappy hotspot for a while now, so thats why i havent been able to get minetest

Didn't you say you're Pacific? 8:00 UTC is 1:00 Pacific. UTC is in Europe, it stands for some French phrase because of politics but means universal coordinated time, kind of a common reference point for everyone. Like you said, Pacific is normally UTC-8 (i.e. 8 hours less than the time in UTC), but it's UTC-7 right now because of daylight saving time.

In any case, if 1:00 is too early for you, how about 11:00 PM UTC? In Pacific time that would be 4:00 PM and in Eastern time that would be 7:00 PM.

Or we could do it tomorrow if that's too early. That would actually be more convenient for me, personally (because I'll have my microphone tomorrow).

Derp, i just realized my pc is on the wrong dang time zone!

onpon4

by onpon4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:10

Mito551 wrote:I'm living in GMT+4. so that would be... i'm confused by your post, onpon. and i insist on playing dwarves...(at least some kind of modification of it)

Ah, didn't notice this post.

Unless 8:00 UTC was settled on (since that would mean it's happening now), what about, instead, tomorrow at UTC 5:00 PM? That would be 9:00 PM for Mito, 1:00 PM for me, and 10:00 AM for Psychotic.

Also, we need to know how to meet. How about IRC at #minetest?

If the let's play already started and I'm missing it, you can of course ignore this post. ;)
Last edited by onpon4 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:18

onpon4 wrote:

Unless 8:00 UTC was settled on (since that would mean it's happening now), what about, instead, tomorrow at UTC 5:00 PM? That would be 9:00 PM for Mito, 1:00 PM for me, and 10:00 AM for Psychotic.

If the let's play already started and I'm missing it, you can of course ignore this post. ;)

skype?

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:46

Guys, as of right now, it is 4:45 P.M., i live in south carolina, and i dont know the time zone, so if anyone knows, we can finally get started, as i do have the zip file ready

Err, i have a little work to do, so i may be off and on

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:53

welp, its eastern standard timeh, it is also 4:53 as of this post

might be tomorrow before i can play guys, i got a lot of suprise homework to do, i got everything set up, so hopefully we can play tomorrow.

Also, do you guys wanna go ahead and record the first episode without me, or do you want me to be on as well?
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 22:26

Mito551 wrote:
onpon4 wrote:

skype?

Like I said, that won't do for me; I refuse to use nonfree software. Mumble is better for voice chat; it's free software.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 22:31

onpon4 wrote:
Mito551 wrote:
onpon4 wrote:Ah, didn't notice this post.

skype?

Like I said, that won't do for me; I refuse to use nonfree software. Mumble is better for voice chat; it's free software.

Im fine with using mumble, but i heard it comes with a server, i dont have the internet required, is there any way i can just get the voice client?

And i have a question, how exactly is skype non free software?

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 22:43

Voice chat... You mean telephone?

*ducks and covers*

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 22:47

Im not a perv, i just like meeting new people, i dont really talk to my friends much anymore, on the account i go to online school

onpon4

by onpon4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 23:25

Psychotic wrote:And i have a question, how exactly is skype non free software?

Free as in freedom, not price. You can find the Free Software Definition here: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

See also the mention of Skype among the FSF's high-priority projects: https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/

The basic is I want to control my computing. If you are not given access to a program's source code and the freedom to share verbatim, modify, and redistribute modified copies as you like, controlling your computing is impossible. Nonfree software also can and often does have malicious features such as spyware, backdoors, and DRM (Digital Restrictions Management).

Skype is gratis (meaning zero cost), but that's an unimportant side-issue. It is nonfree, meaning you don't control it; Microsoft controls it, which means by extension that Microsoft partially controls you. This is unethical on the part of Microsoft.
Last edited by onpon4 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Sat Mar 30, 2013 01:06

onpon4 wrote:
Psychotic wrote:And i have a question, how exactly is skype non free software?

Free as in freedom, not price. You can find the Free Software Definition here: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

See also the mention of Skype among the FSF's high-priority projects: https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/

The basic is I want to control my computing. If you are not given access to a program's source code and the freedom to share verbatim, modify, and redistribute modified copies as you like, controlling your computing is impossible. Nonfree software also can and often does have malicious features such as spyware, backdoors, and DRM (Digital Restrictions Management).

Skype is gratis (meaning zero cost), but that's an unimportant side-issue. It is nonfree, meaning you don't control it; Microsoft controls it, which means by extension that Microsoft partially controls you. This is unethical on the part of Microsoft.

Good news, it works, minetest runs very good on my system. Question now is, do you want to play dwarves with mito on his server? dwarves seems pretty fun, and ill get mumble installed when i wake up tomorrow

onpon4

by onpon4 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 03:03

Psychotic wrote:Question now is, do you want to play dwarves with mito on his server? dwarves seems pretty fun, and ill get mumble installed when i wake up tomorrow

Dwarves is fine.

We still haven't agreed on a time. Who's OK with UTC 5:00 PM? That would be 9:00 PM for Mito, 1:00 PM for me, and 10:00 AM for Psychotic.

We should communicate through Mumble and the in-game text chat, but meeting initially at IRC (#minetest) might also be a good idea. It can let anyone who maybe doesn't have a microphone but wants to be a part of the let's play join in more easily.

Just want to mention, for any GNU/Linux users who aren't sure how to record the screen: under GNOME Shell, there's the built-in screencast recording command, which is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-R (I don't know how good it is since I've never used it). For other DEs, I've found that RecordMyDesktop is the best.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Sat Mar 30, 2013 05:32

So whats the irc link for the minetest forums?

And ill have it open, and if you see psychotic on the chat, you have my permission to spam me till i answer

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Sat Mar 30, 2013 13:44

Psychotic wrote:So whats the irc link for the minetest forums?

And ill have it open, and if you see psychotic on the chat, you have my permission to spam me till i answer

Im online friends, you all ready?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 14:01

Psychotic wrote:
Psychotic wrote:So whats the irc link for the minetest forums?

Im online friends, you all ready?

PM me your skype please.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 15:07

I'm not ready, but I ought to be ready by 1:00 (UTC 5:00). Nobody's said any "yeas" or "nays" about my suggestion of that time.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion