The Edge of Minetest (like the edge of the world where it just stops.)

LionLAD

The Edge of Minetest (like the edge of the world where it just stops.)

by LionLAD » Post

i decided today to go to the edge of the world and to see what it looks like... i did't want to walk so i teleported there and to my surprise it's not 31000 it actually like 30999 i think well just look at the Coors....

Last edited by LionLAD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
In game names:LAD,captainLAD,LionLAD
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

First time being at the edge?

LionLAD

by LionLAD » Post

yea it was i haven't been that far out from my spawn before
In game names:LAD,captainLAD,LionLAD

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Looks exactly like when generation in an area lags.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Minetest world was like a doughnut rather than a flat plane (wrapping horizontally and vertically)? It wouldn't actually do much, but it would make the fact that the world is limited less noticeable.

Melkor

by Melkor » Post

people used to make trips right to the edges in public servers, in the 0.3.1 era, I miss old servers like the Kray server. for some reason since 0.4, publics servers are too laggy for me

In Those servers, all had fly, fast and noclip by default, and the Griefing was terrible, so people used to travel long distances only for build stuff, amazing structures and unaltered hotels for travelers, high and long bridges taking you to nowhere in the way to the limit of the map.
The travel take several minutes without teleport at maximun speed, and the griefers never find those places... well, that's was my experience

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Having to travel for several minutes on fast just to avoid houses getting griefed does not sound like heaven :-(. Plus it might become very difficult to locate the buildings once their builders do no longer play. The diverse protection mods, combined with teleport mods, make life much easier.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Melkor wrote: Image
It would be interesting to find "dungeons" like this on the edges of the world :D
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Melkor

by Melkor » Post

Sokomine wrote:Having to travel for several minutes on fast just to avoid houses getting griefed does not sound like heaven :-(. Plus it might become very difficult to locate the buildings once their builders do no longer play. The diverse protection mods, combined with teleport mods, make life much easier.
nobody said it was fun :)
In Kray servers, people made paths with cobble from the 0,0,0 coordinate to the end. so in this way was easy to find interesting things (only for people with free time)

issa

by issa » Post

Can u créateur a sphère like earth and not a plane

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

issa wrote:Can u créateur a sphère like earth and not a plane
A sphere isn't doable easily... Perhaps, when you are at the edge of the world, warping to the other edge (eventually seeing it) would be possible...
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

A sphere would be a lot more complicated than a doughnut and the difference wouldn't be particularly noticeable.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

What ever happened to Kray's server and its map? It should be brought back and used again, but a sort of smoothing zone should be created for where the lands of old mapgens meet the lands of the present and future ones.

jmf

by jmf » Post

onpon4 wrote:A sphere would be a lot more complicated than a doughnut and the difference wouldn't be particularly noticeable.
<random>And doghnuts can be eaten :D </random>
No longer active in minetest.

markveidemanis

by markveidemanis » Post

When you walk over the edge it would be cool if it teleported you to the other edge.
Or you could see the other edge from the edge but that would be complex.
BitCoin: 1Eq4arvykGNa1YC2DbJpWcwGfMvtFGjAoR

YoYoBuddy

by YoYoBuddy » Post

onpon4 wrote:Looks exactly like when generation in an area lags.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Minetest world was like a doughnut rather than a flat plane (wrapping horizontally and vertically)? It wouldn't actually do much, but it would make the fact that the world is limited less noticeable.
Then there would be a big hole in the middle...
“People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a
person, he can't be fixed."

-Rick Riordan

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

YoYoBuddy wrote:
onpon4 wrote:Looks exactly like when generation in an area lags.

Then there would be a big hole in the middle...
No, the shape you're thinking of is a flat disk with a hole in the middle, not a doughnut. More formally, the shape I call a "doughnut" is a torus, a three-dimensional shape. Imagine the Minetest world as a two-dimensional plane (i.e. a map) and then imagine wrapping that plane around a very large torus. The result is that the top of the map meets the bottom of the map and the edges of the map meet each other. That's what I'm talking about.
Last edited by onpon4 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Hmm. It wouldn't be that difficult to create a map generator that wraps coordinates, and a mod that causes node changes along a border region to be reflected to the other side of the map. Then the player could be automatically warped to the other side when crossing a line within the border region....

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Irrlicht acts very strangely near +/- 32000, so the areas near the wraparound would be very graphic-glitchy until one wraps around and makes it all thw way back.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Idanwin

by Idanwin » Post

I want donutses!!!
No really, the idea sounds very good. It will give more of a 'planet' feel to the game.
Hope someone does this.

quick.dudley

by quick.dudley » Post

So the distance from the origin to the corner is sqrt(31000 ^ 2 * 2) = 4384. In other words the distance between opposite corners of the minetest map is only slightly longer than my daily run in real life. Somehow it feels much bigger during the actual playing.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

quick.dudley wrote:So the distance from the origin to the corner is sqrt(31000 ^ 2 * 2) = 4384. In other words the distance between opposite corners of the minetest map is only slightly longer than my daily run in real life. Somehow it feels much bigger during the actual playing.
More like sqrt((62000^2)*2). Each axis goes from -31000 to 31000 (approx).
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

quick.dudley

by quick.dudley » Post

kaeza wrote:More like sqrt((62000^2)*2). Each axis goes from -31000 to 31000 (approx).
That's what I actually meant: the distance from the origin to the corner is half the distance between opposite corners.