Community chosen release.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

mauvebic wrote:
celeron55 wrote:and for example somebody to design and implement more advanced positioning in the Lua HUD interface.
Hmmm designed it, he can fix it.
Hmmmm had not designed it on his own. His work is based on a pull request from Metology.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

celeron55 wrote:
mauvebic wrote: Hmmm designed it, he can fix it. Just like we are being asked to implement our own colored lighting.
Stop being an unknowledgeable ass. Hmmmm just reworked it better from what some guy initially made.
I'm not denying the work that was put into it, i saw the commit. But if we are expected to develop the features we want, why do you expect us to fix the features you guys put into it?

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

mauvebic wrote:
celeron55 wrote:
mauvebic wrote: Hmmm designed it, he can fix it. Just like we are being asked to implement our own colored lighting.
Stop being an unknowledgeable ass. Hmmmm just reworked it better from what some guy initially made.
I'm not denying the work that was put into it, i saw the commit. But if we are expected to develop the features we want, why do you expect us to fix the features you guys put into it?
To fix / improve the HUD API feedback from modders is needed.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

mauvebic wrote:why do you expect us to fix the features you guys put into it?
It's more about extending than fixing. Implementing the missing sutff in it is not a small thing to do.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
mauvebic wrote:
celeron55 wrote:
To fix / improve the HUD API feedback from modders is needed.
To be perfectly honest, I didn't ask for hud, and have no mod ideas in mind for it. Nor does it make my worlds more interesting, since i F1 + F2 before taking screenshots. That doesn't mean I have to knock it, since i know many modders do want that feature, but i don't see why I should drop what I want.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

celeron55 wrote:
mauvebic wrote:why do you expect us to fix the features you guys put into it?
It's more about extending than fixing. Implementing the missing sutff in it is not a small thing to do.
And after doing that, will I get what I want, or is it still an uphill battle?

celeron55
Administrator

by celeron55 » Post

mauvebic wrote:To be perfectly honest, I didn't ask for hud, and have no mod ideas in mind for it. Nor does it make my worlds more interesting, since i F1 + F2 before taking screenshots. That doesn't mean I have to knock it, since i know many modders do want that feature, but i don't see why I should drop what I want.
Stop whining and already go making your fork. And good luck with it.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

celeron55 wrote: Stop whining and already go making your fork. And good luck with it.
This is the, frankly, sour attitude that causes this friction and incommunication.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Oh
Hey
Guys
Look, over there, some chill pills!
Seriously, I smell a good amount of Arrogance from everyone here, arrogance+debate= bitterness/nothing good.

celeron55
Administrator

by celeron55 » Post

rarkenin wrote:
celeron55 wrote: Stop whining and already go making your fork. And good luck with it.
This is the, frankly, sour attitude that causes this friction and incommunication.
I don't even know what he is asking about, and such doesn't seem to be contained in this discussion at least. Maybe you should make a clear proposal at eg. http://dev.minetest.net/Proposals so that people would even see it? OTOH, I don't know why you should be the one to write such and not the 100 others with ideas. Basically our only reliable way of ranking the importance of things is that those things are important that the one suggesting them does or prototypes themselves.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

celeron55 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:
I don't even know what he is asking about, and such doesn't seem to be contained in this discussion at least. Maybe you should make a clear proposal at eg. http://dev.minetest.net/Proposals so that people would even see it? OTOH, I don't know why you should be the one to write such and not the 100 others with ideas. Basically our only reliable way of ranking the importance of things is that those things are important that the one suggesting them does or prototypes themselves.
I don't have any proposals at the moment, but I'll draft up a proposal system proposal in userspace.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

celeron55 wrote:If you don't happen to know, I have been mostly out from MT's development for months now. And will be in the future too.
I perfectly know you were/are mostly out. That's why I said what I said.
celeron55 wrote:I try to come in and consult stuff when needed, and try to solve the worst disputes. So taking me as an example is simply not a reasonable example at all. Also, initially MT was my personal project and I had my completely own ideas and plans, and didn't want any help, so that isn't applicable either.
You're wrong. You're a perfect example ;) And your words confirm that as well: devs too busy maintaining/doing other stuff.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

You and hmmm are meant for each other.

celeron55
Administrator

by celeron55 » Post

mauvebic wrote:
You and hmmm are meant for each other.
Maybe (except that I don't like him always either), but I'd seriously like to see whether you are able to make and maintain a worthy fork.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

There never was a plan to make a fork, the plan was to add a worthy feature to this game, if it weren't for the obstructionist attitudes of it's lead developers.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Draft proposal: http://dev.minetest.net/Rarkenin/Proposal_System

Please discuss on associated talk page or here on the forums.

celeron55
Administrator

by celeron55 » Post

mauvebic wrote:There never was a plan to make a fork, the plan was to add a worthy feature to this game, if it weren't for the obstructionist attitudes of it's lead developers.
I still don't understand what you expect. Do you expect me to ban hmmmm from everywhere and put you in the place of him? Do you understand how impossible your demands are?

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

I'm trying to get power back in the hands of the community with this proposal. Banning hmmmm would be relatively unnecessary with this proposal if executed correctly.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

A project needs always people who fill up certain positions. Ofc the members can change, but they have to be qualified.

We have a dev-team and that makes great work! if there is something you want to be added, then make it in clean code.
it is an impertinence trowing the code in and then say: now do the work.

And if the dev-team says no you have to options: accept it or make your own fork. Thats all!

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

celeron55 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:C++-side mods that can make powerful changes outside the API. These would need to be installed client-side if need be, but would have a good amount of access to the environment by way of the proper access levels being given to the instances of server, client, etc objects. We install these if we want changes that can't happen in Lua. This is relatively similar to how Minecraft works with mods acting at the engine level.
The general idea about this is that we shouldn't need this because MT is an open source project. Maintaining many APIs is a pain, and compiling C++ modules for all supported platforms simply sucks.
Not everything can be done in the Lua API though, much of the needed changes are client side. For example, it should be possible to shut off the camera jerking. Can that be done in Lua? No. Maybe C++ add-ons are viable, at least on the client side.
4aiman wrote:
celeron55 wrote:If you don't happen to know, I have been mostly out from MT's development for months now. And will be in the future too.
I perfectly know you were/are mostly out. That's why I said what I said.
celeron55 wrote:I try to come in and consult stuff when needed, and try to solve the worst disputes. So taking me as an example is simply not a reasonable example at all. Also, initially MT was my personal project and I had my completely own ideas and plans, and didn't want any help, so that isn't applicable either.
You're wrong. You're a perfect example ;) And your words confirm that as well: devs too busy maintaining/doing other stuff.
No, as he said, he doesn't really develop Minetest any more. So he's both not a developer and not a player.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

celeron55 wrote: I still don't understand what you expect. Do you expect me to ban hmmmm from everywhere and put you in the place of him? Do you understand how impossible your demands are?
You're exaggerating the whole thing. I dont expect you to ban hmmm, and I certainly don't want to take his place, nor could I. I'm simply saying he's being awfully territorial, and not open to any other ideas. Do what you want with this.

As it stands, new contributors don't seem to be welcomed. You should have just renamed it to minetest-hmmm, and my expectations would have adjusted accordingly.

What I want is a way to get new features, a plain 'No' isn't it.
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Apr 21, 2013 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

As it stands, new contributors don't seem to be welcomed. You should have just renamed it to minetest-hmmm, and my expectations would have adjusted accordingly.

Minetest lacks a certain WOW factor. More stuff in the API is a really good start, such as mob ai.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Jordach wrote:

Minetest lacks a certain WOW factor. More stuff in the API is a really good start, such as mob ai.
It does seem like we get bogged down arguing over the inane shit like mese crystals, and it blinds us to what this game is truly missing.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

celeron55 wrote:
mauvebic wrote:There never was a plan to make a fork, the plan was to add a worthy feature to this game, if it weren't for the obstructionist attitudes of it's lead developers.
I still don't understand what you expect. Do you expect me to ban hmmmm from everywhere and put you in the place of him? Do you understand how impossible your demands are?
Well arent you just a rainbow of sunshine.
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

0gb.us wrote:No, as he said, he doesn't really develop Minetest any more. So he's both not a developer and not a player.
I've said about "other stuff", so even if he do not code anything for minetest and do not play it - he still a good example. If you don't get my point - I'd rather try to explain myself once more: Celeron55's still here, discuss things on IRC and he know c++. He still have his "weight" or you can call it "power". He doesn't need to ban anyone, but he can influence core devs "team" for sure. And as far as I understand, every "no" should have good reasoning AND advice on what can be done to turn "no" into "yes". But not in the form "Fork it!" or "Recode it!" - both that answers add nothing to plain "no"... But that is all we have heard so far.

We spent awhile talking here about hmmmm and 'nays'...
Instead of that Celeron and others who possess good "minetest and C++ knowledge" could've give a piece of advice to help this and other rejected features be coded properly and eventually get added. This conversation is surprisingly "quiet" and "smooth" (compared to what it could've been), but pointless, as there's no progression - we still told to make a fork, so at least those who suggested this are against current implementation. Let's talk about what can be done to implement this in official builds and who can make it done.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 09:26, edited 1 time in total.