Moon realm thought

Dopium

Moon realm thought

by Dopium » Post

Hi all, been awhile since i have looked around the forums and looking at a mod called moon flower has sparked a thought.

As minecraft has the nether realm sort of like a 'goal' in the game, what about the moon for minetest? I know many modders have made nether mods most the time spawning a realm underground. Well i was thinking minetest could have a goal of getting to the moon and utilizing the +31,000 barrier.

I mean moon rock and maybe a mineral like helium 3 or something would be cool addition. Also make it a challenge to get the required stuff for the portal, sort like being the first pioneers.

However i do realize the problem of shadows produced from a huge 'rock' of nodes in the sky. Not sure if there is anyway to work around the shadows, but just an idea i thought id share.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

sunglight_propagates = true for moonrock should work to avoid the shadows. It would also give players the ability to build houses without the need of torches.
The portal to teleport to the moon could be made out of mese, so its compatible with my nether mod were the portal is made out of obsidian.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I was thinking of a better way (aside from a portal) of getting to the moon. Not that I am an anti-minecraft person, but I think there could be other more creative) ways of getting there.
Back from the dead!

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

I was just thinking it could have portal blocks to be crafted as part of the challenge, something complex.

'obsidian, copper, obsidian'
'diamond, mese block, diamond'
'obsidian, gold, obsidian

Something complex like that for each block, so it takes awhile to get there and people can maybe team up to travel together to get there faster.
Personally i don't think i have the skills to make a mod this big so the idea is free for anyone to use. Just a thought and would be unique to minetest due to its vertical limit of -30,000 rather then 256 why not.
Last edited by Dopium on Mon Jun 17, 2013 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

PilzAdam wrote:sunglight_propagates = true for moonrock should work to avoid the shadows. It would also give players the ability to build houses without the need of torches.
The portal to teleport to the moon could be made out of mese, so its compatible with my nether mod were the portal is made out of obsidian.
Ok after tweaking your nether mod it worked great however i can only make it generate one type of node to replace the 'air' ie replace("air", "moon:moon_rock") when i add the others it still generates moon_rock

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Post

How about a portal, but something different with it? What if it was a rocketship? You go in to the cockpit and click a seat and it teleports you up there? That'd be something original.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

^ Yeah it's a good idea, you can have 2 identical spacecraft, one on launchpad one at the destination and teleport the player from seat to seat.

My moonlet mod can also generate a moon realm of any size and depth http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5579 it is WTFPL so anyone is welcome to customise, edit, develop ...

Minetest's world height means moons, planets, realms can physically be there, there is no need for portals those are the result of MC's tiny world height and column chunks. The challenge could be how to physically build your way up to 15km or so in a survival game.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jun 18, 2013 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

I disagree with the spaceship, it doesnt really fit into the default Minetest style.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

This should probably be in feature discussion. Me and pilz adam were talking about making a new gravity system, where mod could define gravity hotspots (such as moons and planets) and the player will act accordingly.

This system would take a lot of work, but it means you coold have sphere planets. It would screw up protocol support, and maybe some mod support.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

I thought about not generating a sphere but just a complete layer at y=25000 or so.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Thats what i did with the nether mod was had it generate a layer from 25000 to 15000. Turned out really well as i made it spawn the player somewhere random at 25000, sort of like landing on the top of the moon.

However there is flaws with the idea as the sky is blue during the day and the 'real moon' raises at night. Suppose one can think of it as earth passing by on the dark side and the blue sky during the day as helium 3 emitted.

Other then that i have edited the nether mod and works great, i used mese like PilzAdam said to build the portal but have a small problem. I can only activate the portal when building it in creative as i noticed its creating another identical mese block node just for the mod.

Im not much of a modder other then adding simple nodes and changing a few variables so a little confused as to why its doing that. I can upload what i have so far it has moon rock, helium 3(glowstone type) emits light that is very rarely scattered and moon dust(sand type) but have not worked out how to generate the dust yet. If PilzAdam says its ok i can upload it full credit goes to PilzAdam for the code

EDIT: screenshot
Last edited by Dopium on Mon Jun 17, 2013 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Dopium wrote:Thats what i did with the nether mod was had it generate a layer from 25000 to 15000. Turned out really well as i made it spawn the player somewhere random at 25000, sort of like landing on the top of the moon.

However there is flaws with the idea as the sky is blue during the day and the 'real moon' raises at night. Suppose one can think of it as earth passing by on the dark side and the blue sky during the day as helium 3 emitted.

Other then that i have edited the nether mod and works great, i used mese like PilzAdam said to build the portal but have a small problem. I can only activate the portal when building it in creative as i noticed its creating another identical mese block node just for the mod.

Im not much of a modder other then adding simple nodes and changing a few variables so a little confused as to why its doing that. I can upload what i have so far it has moon rock, helium 3(glowstone type) emits light that is very rarely scattered and moon dust(sand type) but have not worked out how to generate the dust yet. If PilzAdam says its ok i can upload it full credit goes to PilzAdam for the code

EDIT: screenshot
Dude, source code is open source. Knowing monsieur PilzAdam, you already have permission.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

PilzAdam wrote:I disagree with the spaceship, it doesnt really fit into the default Minetest style.
Oops yes i agree, somehow i was thinking in terms of mods :]

I think i will start using 'register ore' to add more volume to my sky / space realm mods. I already have an unreleased mod which excavates chunk layers underground using the same method.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jun 18, 2013 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

paramat wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:I disagree with the spaceship, it doesnt really fit into the default Minetest style.
Oops yes i agree, somehow i was thinking in terms of mods :]
Dont get me wrong, I dont really plan to add this into the default game. Its just that I like to have mods in the default style too.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

I am aware PilzAdam's mod is under WTFPL, i just still like to ask out of curtisy

Ok after getting a little extra knowledge from the dev wiki i have made a few changes and bit by bit the mod is coming along. I now have the moon dust added aswell but stuck on the portal with the activation side of things. I am going to keep trying for now but i may just go with a simple teleport pad design rather then a portal.

I will have another quick look after work and see if i can work it out, either way i will upload what i have so far

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

PilzAdam wrote:Dont get me wrong, I dont really plan to add this into the default game. Its just that I like to have mods in the default style too.
Ah i see :]
Considering the possible shadows, i assume they only occur if the upper realm is generated, so restarting the game would only load the local world therefore avoiding shadows? I could live with that.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jun 18, 2013 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

kidmondo
IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

Re: Moon realm thought

by kidmondo » Post

Please make this... it would be soooo cool :D

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Moon realm thought

by Krock » Post

kidmondo wrote:Please make this... it would be soooo cool :D
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6296
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6329
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>