Tin for 0.4.8 ?

Zeg9

Tin for 0.4.8 ?

by Zeg9 » Post

We already have copper and bronze, but for the moment, bronze is made from copper and steel, which isn't the usual alloy...
So, what do you think about adding tin? It would replace steel for crafting bronze.
The pull request is there: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/178
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

What we currently have as "bronze" is just an improved steel, so the name and not the recipe should be changed.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Bronze-tools last longer than steel-ones? . . .

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Casimir wrote:Bronze-tools last longer than steel-ones? . . .
Yes, and they have the same speed. So basically the alloy makes the steel tools last longer.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

That was a rhetorical question.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

I think we have already too much ores. Copper, ok, but IMO bronze could get removed.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

BlockMen wrote:I think we have already too much ores. Copper, ok, but IMO bronze could get removed.
Bronze is a bit more useful than gold.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Don't say that there are too many ores in the base game (in fact, I vouch for the addition of silver and mithril to the base game as well, with silver and gold being good for currency and mithril being good for armor.) It is a well known fact that most servers use the moreores mod.
Last edited by Inocudom on Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Zeg9 wrote:
BlockMen wrote:I think we have already too much ores. Copper, ok, but IMO bronze could get removed.
Bronze is a bit more useful than gold.
It's more useful because the default game uses that material. In my opinion an "improved" steel is not needed and is just for one thing good: Fill up the creative inventory.

I agree that gold is kinda useless atm, but it is atleast an ore.

Inocudom wrote:Don't say that there are too many ores in the base game ...
What? Why shouldn't i say my opinion? We have now 28 tools (incl. swords) in default game that fill up the creative inventory a lot. With more ores that would be even more. IMO not good...

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

I voted no. I feel the copper / bronze addition is a mess. However it is a mess i don't want to correct by adding an even more boring and pointless ore such as tin, who can get excitied about tin? :D At least gold looks beautiful. Having more ores such as copper is perhaps okay with good reason (for wiring, piping and hi-tech mods?) but the addition of bronze and yet another set of tools was a mistake IMO, the upgrade is too subtle and unexciting and adds complication, i would rather go straight to mese and diamond tools.

Adding tin for a realistic bronze would mean tools less strong than steel, and therefore even more pointless. Personally i would like to see copper and bronze removed from the game.
Last edited by paramat on Thu Jul 04, 2013 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

One could add a remake of technic (wires and electric furnaces) to the default game. But, who would merge it ?
Also, mithril should be added, too. but that goes with a 3D armor mod, which isn't available in minetest game.
-> Add 3D armor to minetest_game ? I think that wouldn't hurt anyone.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

The problem seems to be that for every new ore, a new tool set is added.

It might be wise to chose 2 or 3 ores that can be blacksmithed into the full range of tools, and leave the remaining ores to other uses like fuel or construction material.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

mauvebic wrote:The problem seems to be that for every new ore, a new tool set is added.
Thats wrong. Coal and copper dont have tools.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

We already have a lot of high strength materials for tools: mese and diamond. Adding a 'hardened steel' is over crowding the tool sequence. Each step in the sequence is and should be a fundamental advancement and each material very different.
wood - stone - steel - diamond / mese
wood - stone - steel - improved steel - diamond / mese? No ... uhuh ... wrong! :P
Gold may not yet have a default use but it is a fundamental and beautiful material any sandbox game needs, as is diamond. Copper though doesn't seem fundamental enough.
Last edited by paramat on Thu Jul 04, 2013 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
mauvebic wrote:The problem seems to be that for every new ore, a new tool set is added.
I haven't touched minetest_game in quite a while so I wouldn't know. But going on what's posted here, people don't want more ores since they think it will also lead to more tools.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

paramat wrote:We already have a lot of high strength materials for tools: mese and diamond. Adding a 'hardened steel' is over crowding the tool sequence. Each step in the sequence is and should be a fundamental advancement and each material very different.
wood - stone - steel - diamond / mese
wood - stone - steel - improved steel - diamond / mese? No ... uhuh ... wrong! :P
Gold may not yet have a default use but it is a fundamental and beautiful material any sandbox game needs, as is diamond. Copper though doesn't seem fundamental enough.
Thinking like that, why not remove diamond tools ?
1) They're kind of like mese
2) Diamond isn't really used to make axes as far as I know

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I guess gold, silver, copper, tin, and even mithril could be without their own tools. Instead, they could be useful as armor materials.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

mauvebic wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
I haven't touched minetest_game in quite a while so I wouldn't know. But going on what's posted here, people don't want more ores since they think it will also lead to more tools.
Oh, so you are talking about things which you dont really know about. Great.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Thu Jul 04, 2013 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Zeg9 wrote:Thinking like that, why not remove diamond tools ?
Ah but diamond tools are so niiiiiiice and pretty and gorgeous to hold :) Also a fundamental material very different from the others.
Diamond completes the 4 'realistic' tool materials in the sequence, wood stone steel diamond. Mese is something a bit different being weird and possibly ET, and creates a 5 step sequence, personally i would slot it between steel and diamond, and making the strength of those 2 materials distinctly different so diamond becomes the super-material added above mese (or perhaps other way round).
Last edited by paramat on Thu Jul 04, 2013 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

PilzAdam wrote: Oh, so you are talking about things which you dont really know about. Great.
What part of:
mauvebic wrote:going on what's posted here
escaped your notice?

besides, plenty of people don't play minetest_game and it's not for lack of opinion on it.

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Well in my opinion as a steel fabricator IRL (welder/boilermaker) i can let everyone know that diamond, copper, tungsten, tin, alloy, forged steel and many others are all used in my trade.

Diamond and tungsten tip drill pieces are used for many things either to prevent glass from shattering or for the sheer strength to prevent the hardened steel from getting hot then brittle and failing when drilling concrete.

Also copper is used for welding while others like tin are also used to solder electrical components. Not to mention gold and silver plating being used for electrical components, thus why i use the default gold for mesecon recipes.

Having said all that i dont think more ores other then iron, tin, copper, bronze, silver, gold, diamond and mese to be added as then it would start to become an over kill.

However if tin and silver were to be added as default, personally i think as for ores it will make the game feel more complete. To me that keeps mining interesting other then 90% of the time looking at iron and coal, my 2 cents anyway.
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

I have the technic game mode installed and tend to play that. Before that came out, I used the mod and the dependencies most often. I find that I use iron and copper the most of all of the ores so I wouldn't mind copper in the default game.

vv221

by vv221 » Post

LionsDen wrote:I wouldn't mind copper in the default game.
Copper is part of the default game ;)

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

I would like to add to my other comment as i feel there is two sides to what people really want. As for more ores and meaning more tools added, i dont see a real problem unless you are using creative mode. If you're using more then 250 odd items with mods then you can expect clutter without a doubt

Using creative you can expect a cluttered inventory, hell even with some the most basic build's (iron and coal days) using creative i always manage to clutter my inventory with standard default items anyway.

I am no developer, but as a floor manager in my trade i think i can make good calls when i notice something and i really feel the development should revolve around survival mode rather then creative.

This leads me onto the one problem i have with recent builds(no offense as up most respect to the work that goes towards the development of minetest). However i find diamond has a great rarity ratio but set way to high on generation as its not hard at all to stock up on the more rarer ores. Personally id like to see more of a challenge side of things for the miners, i mean it should generate -600 to -30000 atleast.

I think the work that the devs put in is great but seems like alot of the community dont want any challenge or movement towards making a more complete and well thought default game mode.

This boils down to what i was saying a while back, enthusiast want to use mods rather then adding to the default while 70% of the players dont even know how to install mods. 90% of new registered users with 1 post majority of the time asks "where are the mobs" or ores?

All good for those who know how to code and remove ores they dont wont but you cant expect a 8 year old kid with no idea of coding to start installing mods no matter how easy it is, they just want to play of the bat. What im saying is, concentrating on the benefit of the development rather then some not wanting to remove some ores from the code. Easier to remove yourself when you already know how to or explain 15000 times over to "newbies" how to install them?...

My extra 2 cents and will probably ruffle some feathers but i think should be at least noted
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Well said Dopium!
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.