World Edit Tutorial

Arty23

World Edit Tutorial

by Arty23 » Post

Is there any tutorial on WorldEdit ?

Tutorial meaning Videos or so

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

It is easy to use once you get the hang of it. I saw that you wanted to make a quick wall. In the very latest version of worldedit I think that you can use item descriptions as well as their code name. Anyway, to build a wall place any node at the two diagonally opposite corners, then type in the chat:
//p set
Then punch the two nodes, one after the other. If you accidentally punch the wrong node, type:
//reset
and start again.
Next, to build the wall. I would recommend using the code names for nodes, to guarantee the exact correct node is being used. To see these, use the Unified Inventory mod, which will tell you the name of the nodes at the top left when you click on them in the menu, when in crafting help mode.
An example for a cobblestone wall, having set the two positions, would be to type:
//set cobble
This would set everything in the selected area, including air, into cobblestone.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:In the very latest version of worldedit I think that you can use item descriptions as well as their code name.
You can for some commands
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Anywhere node names are accepted, you can specify nodes by their canonical name, description, or canonical name without the mod prefix. All of them are equivalent. So "Cobblestone" is the same as "cobble" and "default:cobble". They're not case sensitive, either. All this is documented in the WE docs.

If you're just getting started with WorldEdit, read the README.md! Videos are OK, but you won't really know how to use it until you read up on it and actually try it out. When you're done README.md, check out Chat Commands.md, which contains all you need to know and more about every aspect of the chat command interface for WorldEdit.

If you're done that and want to go even further, check out WorldEdit API.md, which tells you how to develop against WorldEdit in your own mods!
Last edited by Temperest on Mon Jul 08, 2013 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

I can't get this mod to work. I copied the Uberi-Minetest-WorldEdit-3fa9dfd folder into my Minetest's mods folder. In game I've tried the following:
1. type in /grant worldedit and am told Server -|- Invalid parameters (see /help grant)
2. type in /grant username worldedit and am told Server -|- Unknown privilage:worldedit

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:I can't get this mod to work. I copied the Uberi-Minetest-WorldEdit-3fa9dfd folder into my Minetest's mods folder. In game I've tried the following:
1. type in /grant worldedit and am told Server -|- Invalid parameters (see /help grant)
2. type in /grant username worldedit and am told Server -|- Unknown privilage:worldedit
You need to enable worldedit for your world using the Configure button
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

sfan5 wrote:
Tx_RushFan wrote:I can't get this mod to work. I copied the Uberi-Minetest-WorldEdit-3fa9dfd folder into my Minetest's mods folder. In game I've tried the following:
You need to enable worldedit for your world using the Configure button
Change the name of the folder to just 'Worldedit'. Clear out anything extra.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

Thanks all!

I finally got it working through trial and error. I hope in the future the documentation for some of these mods is better. Some simple steps are left out in the assumption that everyone knows basic stuff.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:Thanks all!

I finally got it working through trial and error. I hope in the future the documentation for some of these mods is better. Some simple steps are left out in the assumption that everyone knows basic stuff.
If you buy an extension card for your computer there is no guide how to open the case of your computer included.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

Huge difference there. Your case has screws or another simple device. For software, much more is required. There aren't a huge selection of books on how to open a computer, but there sure on on how to use and operate various computer applications.

I'd expect a friendlier community at least form a moderator. Being friendly is as easy as, well, opening a computer case.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:I'd expect a friendlier community at least from a moderator
I wasn't trying to be rude.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:Huge difference there. Your case has screws or another simple device. For software, much more is required. There aren't a huge selection of books on how to open a computer, but there sure on on how to use and operate various computer applications.

I'd expect a friendlier community at least form a moderator. Being friendly is as easy as, well, opening a computer case.
We expect people to flippin read, k?

How hard is renaming a folder? How hard is reading some documentation first? How hard is enabling it in a GUI? How hard is typing //p set?
Last edited by hoodedice on Wed Dec 11, 2013 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Tx_RushFan wrote:Huge difference there. Your case has screws or another simple device. For software, much more is required. There aren't a huge selection of books on how to open a computer, but there sure on on how to use and operate various computer applications.

Woooow, dude, chill. You are overreacting.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

Well the reply seemed a bit rude. I'm no idiot, but there is a learning curve to Minetest. Am I to expect that every question I have is going to be followed with rude replies, sneers and assumptions that I should know everything there is to know after 2 days of use?

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

hoodedice wrote:

We expect people to flippin read, k?

How hard is renaming a folder? How hard is reading some documentation first? How hard is enabling it in a GUI? How hard is typing //p set?
How hard is it to have these instructions with a mod? I'm not blaming you as you didn't write it. I just hate having to spend all day reading instead of doing. I guess for this game/app that isn't possible so I stand corrected.
Last edited by Tx_RushFan on Wed Dec 11, 2013 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

@Tx_RushFan: You really ought to follow hoodedices advice and join the irc. It has the advantage that there will be people online who can in most cases help you much faster with answers to your questions - or at least point you to the relevant forum thread. It's a faster medium than the forum. Seraching in the forum can sometimes be difficult, and if you don't hit the right keywords, it may be unsuccessful. It's also normal that as a new user, you do have tons of questions and don't know most of the things that might make your life ingame a lot easier. Helping on irc or on a server is usually faster and easier than through the forum :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

Thanks Sokomine. That is helpful info. I'll jump on there later today if not tomorrow.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Hey Tx_RushFan:

I have added some better installation instructions to the README. Tell me if you have any more suggestions!

Here is a direct link: https://github.com/Uberi/Minetest-World ... installing
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

sfan5 wrote:
Tx_RushFan wrote:I'd expect a friendlier community at least from a moderator
I wasn't trying to be rude.
No prob. It is hard to tell on the net of how someone is saying what they are saying. No hate here :P

Tx_RushFan

by Tx_RushFan » Post

Temperest wrote:Hey Tx_RushFan:

I have added some better installation instructions to the README. Tell me if you have any more suggestions!

Here is a direct link: https://github.com/Uberi/Minetest-World ... installing

That rocks man! I must have missed the part about using the config button on map selection to load the mod. i got it working some other way but maybe that is why I was having other issues with using it too.