What do you do when people call Minetest a ripoff?

Niften

What do you do when people call Minetest a ripoff?

by Niften » Post

You know, you're just talking with your friends and all, and you bring up Minetest. You explain to them how it's blocky and all, and there's crafting and stuff. They immediately exclaim: "Ripoff of Minecraft!" or something like that. I ask them: "How?" They say: "It's blocky and stuff". I think, are they retarded? I try to explain to them that blocks are VOXEL BASED but they don't listen. What would you do?

Josh

by Josh » Post

Hmmm.
Well i usually try to explain to my mates why Minetest was created, how it is coded in C++, how it differs from Minecraft, and why it less advanced then Minecraft. But they just say:
"OMG, why are you playing this Josh?!"
"Because Minecraft too expensive and Minetest has a better community and it is free, it is also easy to mod"
"Josh, you should play Minecraft, beacuse you can make beds and stuff and you dont need mods for everything, minetest is lame, you cant create cool mods and its soo boring and less advanced"
"You do not understand, Minetest is coded in C++ NOT Java"
"......"
They pause because they dont know what im talking about, they expect mt, to be exactly like mc in every way"
"RIPOFF OF MINECRAFT!"
"Oh, your just jealous beacuse you wasted $25 on Minecraft"
"Argumenting"
"Fighting"
So yea thats how it goes when i try to explain MT to them when they call MT a ripoff of MC.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I just remind them that Minecraft, by extension, is a ripoff of Infiniminer.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

VanessaE wrote:I just remind them that Minecraft, by extension, is a ripoff of Infiniminer.
Indeed.

[hr]
Josh wrote:Hmmm.
Well i usually try to explain to my mates why Minetest was created, how it is coded in C++, how it differs from Minecraft, and why it less advanced then Minecraft. But they just say:
"OMG, why are you playing this Josh?!"
"Because Minecraft too expensive and Minetest has a better community and it is free, it is also easy to mod"
"Josh, you should play Minecraft, beacuse you can make beds and stuff and you dont need mods for everything, minetest is lame, you cant create cool mods and its soo boring and less advanced"
"You do not understand, Minetest is coded in C++ NOT Java"
"......"
They pause because they dont know what im talking about, they expect mt, to be exactly like mc in every way"
"RIPOFF OF MINECRAFT!"
"Oh, your just jealous beacuse you wasted $25 on Minecraft"
"Argumenting"
"Fighting"
So yea thats how it goes when i try to explain MT to them when they call MT a ripoff of MC.
...minetest is lame, you cant create cool mods...
Josh wrote: ...you cant create cool mods...
n00bs. -.-
Last edited by hoodedice on Tue Aug 13, 2013 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

When my friends say it's a ripoff of Minecraft, I say "sure, but Minetest can be used to built an entirely different game that looks nothing nor plays nothing like Minecraft." Then I show them a fork I've started called Minetropolis which is like a Sim's City style game only using a modified Minetest.

And there's like... okay so.

P.S: This most likely killed the topic and it'll drift away in the back pages with not a single reply ever again. :)
Last edited by Gambit on Tue Aug 13, 2013 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

How would they even know what Minetest is? o.O If they play Minecraft they would never bother to search a clone like this.
Hi there ^.~

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

I tried to explain like Josh how it isn't the same coding language or anything, but when they disagree I vapourise their souls.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

I haven't had this situation, because the only Minecraft player I know is my brother and he isn't one of those idiots who cry "ripoff" at clones. But if I did encounter such a person, I would remind them that Minecraft is a "ripoff" of another game.

The problem, though, is that these people are actually hypocrites (i.e. they don't actually believe what they say they believe). Their response to Minecraft being a "ripoff" would be "well, Minecraft added stuff that made it better! Minetest doesn't do that!" In reality, they're just butthurt that you're playing a similar game to what you're playing, but not the exact same one.
Last edited by onpon4 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Seems like a pointless argument, people will play what they wanna play, and they'll believe what they want to believe.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

mauvebic wrote:Seems like a pointless argument, people will play what they wanna play, and they'll believe what they want to believe.
Right, there is no point in convincing minecraft fanboys that minetest isn't a rip-off. :P
Back from the dead!

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Evergreen wrote:Right, there is no point in convincing minecraft fanboys that minetest isn't a rip-off. :P
About as likely to happen as convincing a mac fanboy to try windows or linux :p

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Gambit wrote:Minetropolis
Where can I get this?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

u34

by u34 » Post

i play both... minecraft and minetest... but there are features only for minecraft yet... but the developers of minetest dont sleep...

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

What I do is a get out a wet fish and slap them with it.

Hello profile reader

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Hasn't this question been asked already?
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

@kaeza:

Do you mean 'What do you do when people call minetest minecraft?'

Quite different.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Tue Aug 13, 2013 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Hello profile reader

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

rubenwardy wrote:@kaeza:

Do you mean 'What do you do when people call minetest minecraft?'

Quite different.
Ah! That was it :P

Please disregard my post.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

I play the Ken Silverman did it first card:

He wrote a voxel engine in the 90's, which is used in Ace of Spades, ([url]http:buildandshoot.com[/url]) which means that the voxel idea has been around far longer than some of us have been even alive. :O

Infiniminer wanted a classic NES style look, that probably explains the voxels.

Notch saw how voxels was a good idea -> Minecraft: Order of the Stone -> Minecraft Classic -> [indev/infdev] -> Minecraft Alpha -> Minecraft Beta -> Minecraft 1.0 (This detracts from the point.)

C55 saw how awesome Minecraft was running along and decided to make a C++ clone, which after two years, become the modern Minetest. (btw, technically, we can be called a clone, but, aren't any 2d platformers clones of Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog. Not to mention FPS games could be considered clones of Doom. This also works for other genres too. We pass under the clone barrier as we did many things before Minecraft, just show them the commit logs. Not to mention the Minecraft community is a bunch of idiots from Curse who can't even build a basic dirt house in five minutes.)

ak399g
In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Post

I shout a couple words about cross-platform open source dynamic game structure active coder base mod-ability and downplay minecraft for its cost, singular gameplay, and unfriendliness to modding. And I was on ROBLOX before MC was even a fetus and liked it for it's "build any game you flipping want" atmosphere, but eventually I outgrew that, so MC was always "been there done that" for me.
And then I go on to talk about the GNU+Linux community and by that time they're already off ignoring me and playing Words With Friends (aka Travel Scrabble).

P.S.: I've played with LEGO since I was 1, so I'm built (haha, pun) for construction and construction-related games. No, I never ate a brick.
Last edited by ak399g on Wed Aug 14, 2013 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
aka SAFR

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Evergreen wrote:
mauvebic wrote:Seems like a pointless argument, people will play what they wanna play, and they'll believe what they want to believe.
Right, there is no point in convincing minecraft fanboys that minetest isn't a rip-off. :P
Same could be said for the PureZC community, interestingly.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

ak399g wrote:No, I never ate a brick.
I once ate playdough

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Dan Duncombe wrote:
I once ate playdough
Doees that taste better or worse than salt dough (a home made play dough type thing)?

Hello profile reader

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Dan Duncombe wrote:
I once ate playdough
Doees that taste better or worse than salt dough (a home made play dough type thing)?
It just tasted plain, in fact no taste at all really. Just heavy and squidgy. I still wouldn't recommend eating it.

Nisi

by Nisi » Post

Niften wrote:What would you do?
I am used to hear people telling games are just cloned from others. I have always been more into (MMO)RPGs than any other genre and I can't tell you how often I hear everything is just copied from World of Warcraft. First you fight them, then you just resign. I really don't care anymore about people yelling what is cloned from somewhere else. I ignore them. If they try to convince me, I'll just say "nope" and go on ignoring. Waste of time to argue about this stuff.

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Post

b-but... WoW is just a clone of ultima online! ;)

But, seriuously, I've yet to find a person willing to complain about minetest being a minecraft clone. Reactions usually fall into one three groups: "sounds interesting, I'll try it out", "not now, I've had enough block building for this year" and "no, thanks, I'm not into block building games".
I'm running 0.4.13 stable with [technic][carts][farming_plus][biome_lib][unified_inventory] and a few other mods.