[Discussion]Why is Minetest on Softonic?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

[Discussion]Why is Minetest on Softonic?

by Evergreen » Post

I created this topic as I saw a few people downloaded mineteset from softonic, and had to correct them.

So this topic is two things:
  • Why and how is minetest on softonic (pretty obvious considering the title)
  • A warning to people to not download things from anywhere but the programs official website.
Give me your thoughts on this, just wanted to start a discussion.
Back from the dead!

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Softonic's automated installer scraper probably came across a link to minetest.net, and then decided, "Hey! Let's royally annoy the entire planet by uploading outdated versions, and hiding it behind adwalls, and lace the downloader with ad-bar installers!"

... it should be pretty obvious to all internauts to 1) avoid softonic and 2) always go the official website.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

Rhys

by Rhys » Post

tinoesroho wrote:Softonic's automated installer scraper probably came across a link to minetest.net, and then decided, "Hey! Let's royally annoy the entire planet by uploading outdated versions, and hiding it behind adwalls, and lace the downloader with ad-bar installers!"

... it should be pretty obvious to all internauts to 1) avoid softonic and 2) always go the official website.
3) May give you viruses if you go on a unofficial download site.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

4) Makes it impossible to remove through normal means.