(REQ) New player model?

canadianwolfpack
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 20:50

(REQ) New player model?

by canadianwolfpack » Wed Jan 04, 2012 20:52

I'm kinda tired of the player model because they look something from aliens vs predator...
Can someone please make a player model similar to minecraft?
 

canadianwolfpack
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 20:50

by canadianwolfpack » Wed Jan 04, 2012 21:17

C'mon someone help me out
 

User avatar
Calinou
Moderator
 
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:26
Location: Troyes, France
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 22:08

You'd need permission from Mojang to make a new "player model" (it's a texture, not a model)...
and also, I'm too lazy and I don't feel like doing it.
 

User avatar
rinoux
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15

by rinoux » Wed Jan 04, 2012 23:03

My version. (in fact that's me ;-))

Image
face

Image
back
 

User avatar
sfan5
Moderator
 
Posts: 3772
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 09:44
Location: Germany
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 07:16

Calinou wrote:You'd need permission from Mojang to make a new "player model" (it's a texture, not a model)...
and also, I'm too lazy and I don't feel like doing it.

Why do you need Permission from Mojang for making a Player Texture for Minetest?
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Thu Jan 05, 2012 08:12

canadianwolfpack wrote:I'm kinda tired of the player model because they look something from aliens vs predator...
Can someone please make a player model similar to minecraft?


You should have a look at some of the texture packs available for Minetest, a few of them contain different player textures find one you like and swap it out for the default ^_^
 

User avatar
Calinou
Moderator
 
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:26
Location: Troyes, France
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Jan 05, 2012 14:47

sfan5 wrote:
Calinou wrote:You'd need permission from Mojang to make a new "player model" (it's a texture, not a model)...
and also, I'm too lazy and I don't feel like doing it.

Why do you need Permission from Mojang for making a Player Texture for Minetest?


It would use their textures (the Minecraft default skin)... anyway, they're a really big company, so they wouldn't care that much about it (see the three Minecraft texture packs already posted).
 

Wolfgang
Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21

by Wolfgang » Thu Jan 05, 2012 18:12

Calinou wrote:It would use their textures (the Minecraft default skin)... anyway, they're a really big company, so they wouldn't care that much about it (see the three Minecraft texture packs already posted).


I wouldn't bet on it. Big companies usually have big legal departments. Also having stolen artwork looks bad for the whole minetest community.
 

User avatar
redcrab
Member
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 13:45
Location: France

by redcrab » Thu Jan 05, 2012 18:42

Wolfgang wrote:
Calinou wrote:It would use their textures (the Minecraft default skin)... anyway, they're a really big company, so they wouldn't care that much about it (see the three Minecraft texture packs already posted).


I wouldn't bet on it. Big companies usually have big legal departments. Also having stolen artwork looks bad for the whole minetest community.


@Wolfgang +1 ... Don't play with legal stuff, Big company may sue easily against Minetest. That's not utopic.
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
 

kahrl
Member
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 07:51
Location: Rös̓̇chenhof

by kahrl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 23:55

I wouldn't call a company with 13 employees exactly "big" :)
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 06, 2012 01:44

guys guys guys...are you SERIOUSLY..arguing about minecraft texture packs?? wtf ...if the image is on GOOGLE IMAGES!!!! AND YOUR >>>>NOT<<<< making money off of it..then there is no lawsuit!!! wtf are they going to say?
mojang: your honer..this man stole a texture of my game and used it in his texture pack!
judge: is this true son?
player: yes your honor
judge: where did you get this image son?
player: google
judge: and are you making money off of this image son?
player: no your honor
judge: -_-

derp
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Fri Jan 06, 2012 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
If you can think it, you can make it! My Patreon :D
 

User avatar
MrThebuilder3
Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 18:26

by MrThebuilder3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 02:40

player: google
judge: and are you making money off of this image son?
player: no your honor
judge: -_-
derp

lol
 

User avatar
Jordach
Member
 
Posts: 4518
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
Location: Blender Scene
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Fri Jan 06, 2012 08:43

jordan4ibanez wrote:guys guys guys...are you SERIOUSLY..arguing about minecraft texture packs?? wtf ...if the image is on GOOGLE IMAGES!!!! AND YOUR >>>>NOT<<<< making money off of it..then there is no lawsuit!!! wtf are they going to say?


Thats actually not true, If you take any copyrighted image from google images and use it on anything (even if you don't make any money from its use) its classed as breach of copyright unless specifically stated otherwise by the copyright holder.

Anyway I'm sure the original poster stated "player model similar to minecraft" so why everyone has started going on about Minecraft lawsuits etc just doesn't make sense lmao.
Last edited by dannydark on Fri Jan 06, 2012 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:13

dannydark wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:guys guys guys...are you SERIOUSLY..arguing about minecraft texture packs?? wtf ...if the image is on GOOGLE IMAGES!!!! AND YOUR >>>>NOT<<<< making money off of it..then there is no lawsuit!!! wtf are they going to say?


Thats actually not true, If you take any copyrighted image from google images and use it on anything (even if you don't make any money from its use) its classed as breach of copyright unless specifically stated otherwise by the copyright holder.

Anyway I'm sure the original poster stated "player model similar to minecraft" so why everyone has started going on about Minecraft lawsuits etc just doesn't make sense lmao.

-facepalm- thats like saying windows is going to sue the linux communities website's "texture pack" for gnome gui (gnome-look.org) for the usage of windows icons...it's just not going to happen...
If you can think it, you can make it! My Patreon :D
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04

Firstly I couldn't see any windows icons being used on the website you mentioned and secondly just because Microsoft hasn't sued doesn't mean they couldn't if they wanted to, its all down to what license the image holds, I don't know what license there icons use so it may be that you are allowed to use them for non-commercial purposes but thats besides the point which is just because something is in Google Images doesn't make it free for use.
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:57

dannydark wrote:Firstly I couldn't see any windows icons being used on the website you mentioned and secondly just because Microsoft hasn't sued doesn't mean they couldn't if they wanted to, its all down to what license the image holds, I don't know what license there icons use so it may be that you are allowed to use them for non-commercial purposes but thats besides the point which is just because something is in Google Images doesn't make it free for use.


http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/

http://www.redmondpie.com/windows-7-transformation-pack-for-ubuntu-linux-cid346/

i will not turn this into a rage war...lets just say your right though
If you can think it, you can make it! My Patreon :D
 

sapier
Developer
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 18:17

by sapier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 15:55

Here in Germany there's a legal method called "Abmahnung" it originaly was invented to give people a chance to settle their differences without having to go to a court. There's just been a design mistake. A person issuing a "Abmahnung" can have the person recieving it make paying their expenses (if he was right).

Nowadays this feature is often (ab)used by lawyers to generate money by issuing trivial legal glitches.

Why I am talking about that? There's been some trouble about a couple creating pictures of food making those pictures high ranked in google images etc and then issuing any person infriging their copyright.

I think they haven't been (fully) successfull in front of court, but many people paid because of court is more expensive than what they wanted to have.

So at least in Germany you should be really carefull when copying + modifying ;-) but of course you can draw a new texture for players on your own!
Last edited by sapier on Mon Jan 09, 2012 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved
 

User avatar
jordan4ibanez
Member
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:44
Location: Rhode Island, USA
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Wed Jan 11, 2012 13:07

lol or just make the colour darker and modify a pixel or two :3
If you can think it, you can make it! My Patreon :D
 

cosarara97
Member
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 18:53

by cosarara97 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 17:09

jordan4ibanez wrote:lol or just make the colour darker and modify a pixel or two :3


That would be a derivative work, so it's still illegal xD (if the license doesn't allow it).
:D
 


Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests