Minetest on the OUYA. A opensource console.. Is it possible?

Jackou45

Minetest on the OUYA. A opensource console.. Is it possible?

by Jackou45 » Post

I don't know if you guys know the OUYA the new opensource condole running on Android. Is it possible to make a apk and convert minetest control for the OUYA controller to make it on it. For more information on the OUYA go on their website: http://www.ouya.tv/ . The game is free and can stay free on the OUYA.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Yes, it is possible, but work needs to be done..
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

/me wonders how many times this has been suggested by now... then shudders
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Enke wrote:/me wonders how many times this has been suggested by now... then shudders
/me wonders how easy it would be to port *that certain port that must not be named* onto it. Probably easy.

Jackou45

by Jackou45 » Post

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Jackou45 wrote:Does someone can do it?

https://ouya.tv/
https://www.ouya.tv/develop/
Sure, just buy me an Ouya
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Jackou45

by Jackou45 » Post

You can do it and I can test it with my OUYA. And just like that.. The OUYA is just 99$

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Jackou45 wrote:You can do it and I can test it with my OUYA. And just like that.. The OUYA is just 99$
and if there are problems how do I debug them? also what is when you are asleep? (you're in canada and I'm in germany)

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

I don't get why people call the Ouya an "open source" console. Its developers don't champion open source in any way and most of the software on it is not open source. The Ouya developers never even called it "open source"; they called it "open". Their use of "open" also applies to Windows. They're talking about not having DRM that restricts what you can develop or what you can download. More specifically, they mean that anyone is allowed to develop for it without paying huge fees to the manufacturers of the Ouya.

I don't know much about the Ouya, but I think it's not even as "open" (by the way they use the term) as Windows; my understanding is you can't install normal Android software by default, and the only place you can get games from has some sort of restriction on distributors requiring a gratis demo to be available. That's what they advertised on the Kickstarter project, anyway.

In any case, the Ouya is basically just a customized Android system. If Minetest gets ported to Android, it will be possible to port to the Ouya just as well. The question is whether or not anyone is willing to do the work. Personally, I don't own or want an Ouya, and I don't own any device that runs Android, so I don't care.
Last edited by onpon4 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Jackou45

by Jackou45 » Post

sfan5 Just work when i'm not asleep :P
Last edited by Jackou45 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Jackou45 wrote:sfan5 Just work when i'm not asleep :P
I think what sfan is trying to get at is it's not happening.
Back from the dead!

IthegeekRS

by IthegeekRS » Post

Go Canada!

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

IthegeekRS wrote:
Go Canada!
Okay, here is what I need: money for the flight, money for an apartment and money for living

Jackou45

by Jackou45 » Post

sfan5 there always a way to do it. You can work and when you need to make it test you call me on skype and after you continue. I play with europeens and we have all the time to play. Why not for this.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Jackie45, I don't think you're getting this. Let me put this in layman terms.

Ok. Android is a mobile operating system based on Linux. Minetest runs on many PC OSs including Ubuntu, which is based on Linux. The difference is, C++ does not go nice with Android, the same way that Mexican food and the American stomach does not agree with each other. Minetest is based on C++. So, it does not go nice with Android. Now Android's favourite is Java, and to port Minetest to Java is like rewriting Wikipedia in French. From scratch. Plus, Minetest runs fairly on systems with 2 GHz dual core processors, 1 GB RAM, integrated GPU. We are porting this to something with 1 GHz dual core, 512 MB RAM, and a GPU that will make the intel HD 2000 feel like a GTX 800 with Keplar. And 9001 CUDA cores.

This isn't to say that it hasn't been attempted before. It has been and still is. If you might be patient, we might have a beta around, Summer 2014.
Last edited by hoodedice on Fri Jan 03, 2014 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build