Publishing a customized launcher

cookiemonsta

Publishing a customized launcher

by cookiemonsta » Post

Me and a friend have been making use of the easy to mod/change/customize aspect of the game and we believe that it is open source, so could we publish it on our website, credit everyone involved (after getting the okay from mod authors)?
Last edited by cookiemonsta on Thu Jan 09, 2014 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

I think its allowed, there is another version of Minetest, Freeminer if I'm not mistaken. I also have my own called Fiveflags.

They are called forks.
Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

cookiemonsta

by cookiemonsta » Post

Mcc457 wrote:I think its allowed, there is another version of Minetest, Freeminer if I'm not mistaken. I also have my own called Fiveflags.

They are called forks.
Will I be allowed to host it for download, or should I link to the minetest website?

Thanks for the quick reply, anyway! :D

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

"Launcher" isn't really the correct term. You mean custom fork(or basically a modified minetest engine)
Back from the dead!

cookiemonsta

by cookiemonsta » Post

Evergreen wrote:"Launcher" isn't really the correct term. You mean custom fork(or basically a modified minetest engine)
Yes. Would I need to credit mod authors, are there mods that you can't allow people to download?

Thanks for the reply. :D

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Are you making a custom 'game' which is actually just a collection of mods? Or are you changing the core engine?

As long as derivatives are licenced in the same way as the original, and you release the source code (preferably on GitHub), you are good to go. However, I suggest you check the license for the individual mods.

You can host it anywhere. I suggest you host the code on GitHub.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

cookiemonsta

by cookiemonsta » Post

hoodedice wrote:Are you making a custom 'game' which is actually just a collection of mods? Or are you changing the core engine?

As long as derivatives are licenced in the same way as the original, and you release the source code (preferably on GitHub), you are good to go. However, I suggest you check the license for the individual mods.

You can host it anywhere. I suggest you host the code on GitHub.
We've changed the main menu to a static picture, and we will put a bunch of mods in new gamemode folders, so are we good to just publish the website and host the modded minetest or will we have to request permission and stuff?

Thanks in advance,
cookiemonsta

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Yeah, sure. Be sure to link to minetest.net

Permission for use isn't explicitly required, but credits certainly are. Be sure to credit everyone responsible for this project.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

If you're taking other peoples games and modifying then, then you will need to follow their license.

That rule does not apply as much as minetest_game, simply because it is meant to be modified.

The main menu is independant of compiled code, all you need is lua to write a new main menu.

(Hint: zipball builtin client without the shaders and builtin, too, but only with the files changed.)