Minetest on Steam

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Mikerhinos wrote:Sorry to raise the topic from the dead, but to get more players, but not too much, and a pretty small n@@b5/kids proportion, isn't it possible to release Minetest on Greenlight but only Linux client/server ?
Linux users are more "this is beta, expect bugs and content in development" aware, and there are more developpers proportionnally than in Windows players I believe.
This would add more players, more devs, without having 1000s of kids coming on public servers bitching about "where are f*cking mobs ?", "omg lag", "that game s*cks so bad, I can't even craft *whatever stuff from MC only*" and destroy game image in weeks (or even days).
Then when mobs will be added etc...add Windows client/server.
That's one reason it shouldn't be even added to Steam -- it's not going to happen anyway (costs money, hostile to free/libre software). We have a lot of "kids" on servers already, better not add too much of them at once.
Mikerhinos wrote:For the patent/copyright problem, I think that maybe change default texture pack could help, because with default apparearance, it surely looks a LOT like MC. Maybe a BD/cartoon look (I love BDcraft pack), or VanessaE more realistic look.
No, we can do our own textures if we want. It's not an exact copy. We are not trying to confuse players. A more realistic pack would look more appealing, maybe, but then it wouldn't be the default pack.
Mikerhinos wrote:When it will look less than MC it will be harder to sue, because hey, playing a guy that break blocks in an 8-bit look reminds me a lot Mario Bros, Nintendo should sue them ! Plus other free alternatives would look like a lot more MC and they would get sued 1st.
Minetest cannot be sued: it isn't an entity such as a company. Clones of Super Mario exist, they are legal if they don't use the same graphics. Minecraft developers never sued the developers of a "clone" that uses different game media.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Ok thanks for clarifying it for me :)

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Not really.

Even if Minetest was released solely for linux on steam, a simple google would lead them to the official download page. With the Windows builds.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Jordach, what if the game was only visible to Linux users? That is the reaction we want.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Jordach, what if the game was only visible to Linux users? That is the reaction we want.
I would be fine with that. I use Linux, and anybody that uses Linux most likely will have some brains for figuring out their problems... Hopefully.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Not enough brains to use a real operating system though...

I troll
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Or we could go with my dynamic block appearance idea, that makes the terrain look more smooth/realistic, while still being node-based - such would prevent anyone from being able to take legal action, because the idea is new.
But of course, everyone must have their ugly/blocky/rough terrain "fix", so don't expect that to ever happen.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

Re: Minetest on Steam

by Neuromancer » Post

I have over 200 games on Steam, and all my kids want to play is Minetest. It truly is better than most games on Steam. But I think Minetest could truly benefit from the exposure, and the Steam Workshops (we could better organize our mods and community developed stuff here) and maybe we could even play with other users by using Steam's friend system. At any rate there already is a Minetest Community on Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/minetestc55
Join it if you want to support minetest getting added to Steam!
Steam is just too huge to ignore. It is where all pc/Linux gamers are going to go.

spootonium

by spootonium » Post

I discovered Minetest through PlayDeb, and I think that is probably a more suitable outlet for this game than Steam. Not that I think the game ought to be exclusive to that audience, but that I think it is better targeted toward the people who are more likely to appreciate MT versus Minecraft and be more inclined to participate in the community and perhaps contribute something to the game.
I write code. Sometimes, it even works.

lisacvuk
GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

Can I bump this? Oh, just did it. Global accounts for the servers would be a lot better, due to the raising number of players who tend to cheat and/or break the rules. So, maybe global rules would be nice, and the server owner would decide will the player that is banned elsewhere, be banned on his server. Steam accounts might be the best global accounts available.
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

lisacvuk wrote:Can I bump this? Oh, just did it. Global accounts for the servers would be a lot better, due to the raising number of players who tend to cheat and/or break the rules.
If such a "feature" is implemented, it has to stay optional. This is not Minecraft.
lisacvuk wrote:Steam accounts might be the best global accounts available.
A system where you can only log in through proprietary software, taking ~20 seconds to log in, is the best system now?

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

lisacvuk wrote:Steam accounts might be the best global accounts available.
Calinou wrote:A system where you can only log in through proprietary software, taking ~20 seconds to log in, is the best system now?
And what happens to my rights as a server operator? Does Steam hold priority, and can they shut my server down? And the accounts I decide to ban versus their blacklist? Is this legal according to the GPL? Definitely not with GPLv3, since it prevents DRM from being uncircumventable by law. Will all the mods require Steam approval? Will Steam make mods unusable or subject them to a kill switch? Will it be possible to play the game offline? Do we really want Steam to take the developers, and server operators, and users, rights away?
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

I don't think that Steam is the right place for MT, but perhaps another (open source) service?

(we (INNOVATION-Plex) are thinking about making similar services...)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

benrob0329 wrote:I don't think that Steam is the right place for MT, but perhaps another (open source) service?
What about just offering it for download (as with GOG)?
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

hmmm steam might not be the right place for minetest. it would be nice to see some sort of installer and/or launcher.

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

Ok, maybe some other sorts of global accounts? I keep banning the same guy who changes his IP every day.
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

Ok so I'll put my advice on it.

Teeworlds as came to Steam and still hasn't increased its players number. Also, as teeworlds is a game living with modifications (as Minetest), many people who tried the Steam version out came back to the non-Steam clients, because they are way more useful.

Also, for those that are setting out arguments about more players -> more developpers : NO

1 : Teeworlds still has 4 developpers on it.

2 : Unvanquished as more developpers than players

3 : The arrival of many annoying players would contribute to make actual developpers, as they would destroy the actual community.

4 : Free/open-source is not really pointed out on Steam, so a developper would have to be REALLY REALLY interested by the project (that has only be shown by a little trailer and a little descriptive text) to try to contact developpers. Actually, it's pretty simple for Minetest, but the only action of thinking about that can convince someone not to do it.

5 : Players on Steam are in most case a bunch of eternal noobies, that will never know what a hard-disk is. Most of them are playing on non-free games, and some try out free-games. But in that case, if they try it and they don't like it at first vision, they will not hesitate to post some remark on the Steam page, which will not attract players at all.

6 : Refering to 5, that would more be like a "someday but not today", because if we go on Steam, we won't be able to leave and come back like if nothing had happened. The game will be spotted for ever.

P.S : I didn't take time to read all the post, so excuse me if I missed something ;)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

prof-turbo wrote:4 : Free/open-source is not really pointed out on Steam
All mods will require Steam's approval, along with every update to the mod, every update to the software, and every individual server will require Steam's approval, and force server administrators to use VAC via DRM, which is not compatible with free software.

Is this actually being considered by the developers?

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

redblade7 wrote:[...]
Is this actually being considered by the developers?
AFAIK, NO.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

So I think excepted to maybe 1 or 2 obstinated, we all agree with the NO answer ?

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Yes, MT should stay away from Steam.

lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Post

A quick google search rendered https://lutris.net/. It is called Lutris, and it is FOSS "Open Gaming Platform".
It's lisac, not lisa.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

Add minetest to Lutris will be maybe a good idea

Lutris is a installation game platform with a launcher, it's easy and not Steam...

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

Also, I totaly forgot about it but there's another platform named Desura ( http://www.desura.com/ ) which is more Steam-like. Wanna check it out ?

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

prof-turbo wrote:Also, I totaly forgot about it but there's another platform named Desura ( http://www.desura.com/ ) which is more Steam-like. Wanna check it out ?
Desura is pretty much dead. You will likely get more downloads from direct distribution than from Desura.