Minetest on Steam

User avatar
aldobr
Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 05:46

by aldobr » Post

Well, i want to donate money, how to ?

We have no bounty or donation system. So...

User avatar
Enke
Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:56
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke
Location: The internet

by Enke » Post

hoodedice wrote:
Enke wrote:Hey, something else I've thought about. Doesn't it cost $100 (USD) to put a game on Steam Greenlight?
SEE. FIRST. POST.
I know that, but it has seemed to have been forgotten, so I was just bringing it back up.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

User avatar
Gambit
Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:31
Location: United States

by Gambit » Post

This ones a mix bag for me. I probably shouldn't state otherwise until I can analyze what this would do if Minetest was up on steam.

Steam would draw in gamers more so than developers unless you convince NixiePixel to review it on her channel whose audience is predominantly Linux users.

Other than that, I can't predict the repercussions of this decision.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

User avatar
Casimir
Member
Posts: 1163
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Gambit has a good point. We can decide what people we want to attract. So the question is not if we want to do advertising on Steam, the question is, why Steam?
I'd be happy to see (even more) Linux users here.

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
Posts: 6072
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

by rubenwardy » Post

aldobr wrote:Well, i want to donate money, how to ?

We have no bounty or donation system. So...
See http://minetest.net/donate
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Jan 19, 2014 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice
Location: world
Contact:

by hoodedice » Post

Copyright: Be rich. You can buy anything with lawsuits
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

User avatar
aldobr
Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 05:46

by aldobr » Post

But if minetest doesnt use a single line of code from minecraft, how can they claim "copyright" ?

Notch is not the inventor of voxel worlds, infiniminer came before minecraft and is even referenced on minecraft's wiki :

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Infiniminer

Even then, minetest is done in C++ while minecraft is done in java. Theres not a single line of code that could be shared between both. The similarities are just in the appearence.

The other case is copyright of story elements, we have no story in the game whatsoever and most of the elements are quite different or too generic (pick axe, shovel etc)...

Ruling out patent (i believe minecraft is unpatenteable due to previous work and the fact that software patents are irrelevant in most countries in the world), copyright would be non-sense against minetest.

User avatar
onpon4
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:54
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle
Contact:

by onpon4 » Post

aldobr wrote:But if minetest doesnt use a single line of code from minecraft, how can they claim "copyright" ?
You'd be surprised what kind of crap you can get away with if you have enough money. A few years ago, the Tetris Troll convinced a U.S. district court that things like the shapes of the pieces and the size of the grid are copyrighted, and that therefore a Tetris clone was in violation of the Tetris Troll's copyright monopoly because its developer had carefully reverse-engineered a Tetris game licensed by the Tetris Troll.

With that being said, the Tetris Troll's entire business model is based on being a troll; this isn't the case for Mojang. I doubt Minetest will fall victim to this.

User avatar
Gambit
Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 19:31
Location: United States

by Gambit » Post

aldobr wrote:But if Minetest doesnt use a single line of code from Minecraft, how can they claim "copyright" ?
It wouldn't matter if it was written in any different language at all. They could file on the grounds that Minetest has similar concepts as Minecraft (i.e its gameplay). Minetest doesn't look like InfiniMiner but more so what Mojang designed.

However, I think Minetest is safe mainly due to Minecraft's own success. They may not need to worry about anyone taking similar ideas here and there.
Last edited by Gambit on Fri Jan 24, 2014 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

User avatar
onpon4
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:54
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle
Contact:

by onpon4 » Post

Gambit wrote:They could file on the grounds that Minetest has similar concepts as Minecraft (i.e its gameplay).
Concepts can't be copyrighted. Only works can. Minetest absolutely is not a derivative work of Minecraft; it uses the same idea (ideas can't be copyrighted) and nothing more.

It's true enough, though, that Mojang, having money for lawyers, can threaten and/or sue anyway, and it's possible they could trick a court being run by stupid people into thinking Minecraft's decision to use cubes counts as a creative work, or some other such nonsense. I doubt this will happen; they would just try to make Minecraft more appealing than Minetest, or move on to something else, like every other commercial game developer on Earth.

mauvebic
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Post

Ideas can't be copyrighted, but they can be patented. And Mojang wouldn't have to trick the court, they operate on legal precedent. The precedent most recent and relevant to this situation being Apple vs. Samsung for the "look and feel" of iOS. And they don't have to try to make MC more appealing, they've always had more players.

User avatar
onpon4
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:54
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle
Contact:

by onpon4 » Post

mauvebic wrote:Ideas can't be copyrighted, but they can be patented.
And I'm sure you understand fully well how completely irrelevant that is, Mr. Troll.

mauvebic
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Post

onpon4 wrote:And I'm sure you understand fully well how completely irrelevant that is, Mr. Troll.
lol, is everyone who disagrees with you a troll? (or perhaps spreading FUD). It's not my fault your brainwashing makes it easy to point out every contradiction and bending of the truth you post.

last I checked patent litigation is as real as copyright litigation.

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice
Location: world
Contact:

by hoodedice » Post

onpon4 wrote:
mauvebic wrote:Ideas can't be copyrighted, but they can be patented.
And I'm sure you understand fully well how completely irrelevant that is, Mr. Troll.
It is very much relevant to the discussion at hand, onpon. I wish you'd just look at other perspectives too. The world is round, not flat, and there are infinite angles to look at it from.

The point that lobbying the court, is well at least agreed by the both of you I guess. So I'm cool.
The point that ides can't be copywrited is also agreed by the both of you.
The idea that Minecraft can use illicit means, but will not because is doesn't need to, is also agreed.

SO WHY THE ZWIZ CAN YOU NOT GET TOGETHER?

I'm not a mod, but I don't like personal wars like these either.
+ Spoiler
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

User avatar
onpon4
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:54
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle
Contact:

by onpon4 » Post

mauvebic wrote:lol, is everyone who disagrees with you a troll? (or perhaps spreading FUD). It's not my fault your brainwashing makes it easy to point out every contradiction and bending of the truth you post.

last I checked patent litigation is as real as copyright litigation.
You've proven yourself multiple times to be a troll. You often make incredibly asinine contradicting posts clearly intended to start arguments, and you repeat the same crap several times a thread. To top it off, you act high and mighty while you do this. I stopped taking you seriously a long time ago. You, not "everyone who disagrees with me". I don't use the word "troll" lightly.

Patents are irrelevant because there are no such patents. It's not a common practice for game developers to get patents. Software idea patents are normally held by patent trolls and big software companies like Microsoft. Any patents covering Minetest would likely 1) not be owned by Mojang, and 2) also cover Minecraft.
Last edited by onpon4 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 03:37, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Post

onpon4 wrote: posts clearly intended to start arguments
Like when you told a modder you wouldn't use his mod because you don't like his license?
onpon4 wrote: you repeat the same crap several times
The funny part is I warned cornernote he could expect to hear your views before he even posted this thread :p
onpon4 wrote: you act high and mighty while you do this.
lol, seen your own post history?
onpon4 wrote: I stopped taking you seriously a long time ago.
You're certainly free to ignore me, and i'm free to keep debunking the BS you post.
onpon4 wrote: Patents are irrelevant because there are no such patents. It's not a common practice for game developers to get patents.
Not quite the same as stating that patents are irrelevant (context and accuracy are important).
onpon4 wrote: Software idea patents are normally held by patent trolls and big software companies like Microsoft.
And you say i'm high and mighty :p I think everyone has a right to earn a living (and not just selling t-shirts).
onpon4 wrote:Any patents covering Minetest would likely 1) not be owned by Mojang, and 2) also cover Minecraft.
I think Mojang ignores Minetest because even though it's free we come nowhere close in terms of # of users. Those players who do come from MC complain about our lack of decent mobs (among other things).
Last edited by mauvebic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lightonflux
Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 07:22
In-game: lof
Location: Germany

by lightonflux » Post

I want to bring Desura into the discussion. The platform has a a higher share of Indie games, and the platform has some nice features for alpha and beta testing and funding.

Their community is much more focused on Indi games.

There is also an Open Source Client (Desurium). And i think they don't have a fee.

So before we go to steam we should try Desura.
Last edited by lightonflux on Fri Jan 24, 2014 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
onpon4
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:54
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle
Contact:

by onpon4 » Post

mauvebic wrote:Like when you told a modder you wouldn't use his mod because you don't like his license?
Yeah, no. I didn't tell someone that a non-commercial license is proprietary to start an argument. I told them that because I felt it might have been accidental, or a misunderstanding of what free/libre and open source software is. I don't know why I figured this, and I turned out to be wrong, but that suspicion was the reason, not a desire to start an argument.
The funny part is I warned cornernote he could expect to hear your views before he even posted this thread :p
Oh how scary, my views! I should just censor all my views even when they're relevant, they're too scary for people to read! Of course, I didn't even bring up that Steam is proprietary and has DRM in this topic; someone else did, so your prediction was dead-wrong anyway.

Of course, that's not even what I was talking about. Posting your views doesn't make you a troll. It's that you aren't paying attention to what you're responding to, or posting some crap that anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the subject knows is crap, that makes me sure you're a troll.
onpon4 wrote:you act high and mighty while you do this.
lol, seen your own post history?
I do recall I asked you once to not drag a topic into an argument about free/libre software, and you responded that I should "get off my high horse". I responded that way (dismissively) in that example because just before that, you had already derailed a recent topic into an argument about free/libre software, and I wasn't interested in dealing with your trolling again.

Being dismissive of a troll is not the same thing as pretending your post is more knowledgeable than it is, or scolding other users about what they're posting.

Come to think of it, you're right: I've scolded you for trolling recently, and that's kind of hypocritical. Also very stupid. My mistake.
And you say i'm high and mighty :p I think everyone has a right to earn a living (and not just selling t-shirts).
Please, you're trying to tell me you're not a troll with a non-sequitur like this (and also your next quote, also a non-sequitur)? This was in response to a simple statement of fact that you just ignored, somehow reading a claim which wasn't there that patent trolls are unethical.

Of course, you're right. People deserve the right to earn a living by doing whatever they want. Like being a hitman, slave trade, attacking ships, and theft. Let's make all of these methods of making money legal!
I want to bring Desura into the discussion. The platform has a a higher share of Indie games, and the platform has some nice features for alpha and beta testing and funding.
I don't know much about Desura, but my instinct is Minetest should wait for that, too. Again, mostly people who play games,

mauvebic
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Post

onpon4 wrote: Yeah, no. I didn't tell someone that a non-commercial license is proprietary to start an argument. I told them that because I felt it might have been accidental, or a misunderstanding of what free/libre and open source software is. I don't know why I figured this, and I turned out to be wrong, but that suspicion was the reason, not a desire to start an argument.
[...]
I do recall I asked you once to not drag a topic into an argument about free/libre software, and you responded that I should "get off my high horse". I responded that way (dismissively) in that example because just before that, you had already derailed a recent topic into an argument about free/libre software, and I wasn't interested in dealing with your trolling again.
Im pretty sure that was the same topic. And one of many instances where you managed to squeeze in the FSF party line.
onpon4 wrote: Oh how scary, my views! I should just censor all my views even when they're relevant, they're too scary for people to read! Of course, I didn't even bring up that Steam is proprietary and has DRM in this topic; someone else did, so your prediction was dead-wrong anyway.

Of course, that's not even what I was talking about. Posting your views doesn't make you a troll. It's that you aren't paying attention to what you're responding to, or posting some crap that anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the subject knows is crap, that makes me sure you're a troll.
What I don't get is why you bother to preach that stuff here, most of these people already use open source software. Wouldn't that propaganda have more reach on a windows forum or a triple-A game forum?
onpon4 wrote: Of course, you're right. People deserve the right to earn a living by doing whatever they want. Like being a hitman, slave trade, attacking ships, and theft. Let's make all of these methods of making money legal!
I suppose you think proprietary software development will bring about the next holocaust too.
Last edited by mauvebic on Fri Jan 24, 2014 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice
Location: world
Contact:

by hoodedice » Post

@onpon4: You really ARE Drasher's brother. I can not not see how you couldn't be persuasive. However, you are a GNU follower, and I guess every non radical open-source advocate is sick and tired of his beliefs. I use Xubuntu, and I don't like what he says about Ubuntu. So, yeah, RMS is kinda scary for us, and we prefer to keep him out of the discussion. And every RMS fan is seen as a fanatic. So...

@Mauvebic: Chill.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
Posts: 6072
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

by rubenwardy » Post

mauvebic wrote:Ideas can't be copyrighted, but they can be patented. And Mojang wouldn't have to trick the court, they operate on legal precedent. The precedent most recent and relevant to this situation being Apple vs. Samsung for the "look and feel" of iOS. And they don't have to try to make MC more appealing, they've always had more players.
Ideas can not be patented. Designs are patented.

Minecraft could patent the user interface, the texture style, etc.

IF they invented the voxel form, they could of patented it, but they didn't.

Citation

^ note that although that is the UK copyright service, it is the law in countries in the EEA and Berne Convention.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
onpon4
Member
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 01:54
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle
Contact:

by onpon4 » Post

hoodedice wrote:You really ARE Drasher's brother.
Yeah, I am. I don't know much about her online presence, though, so I don't recognize any significance in this.
I guess every non radical open-source advocate is sick and tired of his beliefs. I use Xubuntu, and I don't like what he says about Ubuntu.
You mean about the recent adware addition, or Ubuntu not being a completely free/libre OS?

User avatar
GingerHunter797
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 15:36
In-game: GingerHunter797
Location: Indiana

by GingerHunter797 » Post

I agree with most of what is being said here that Minetest is not ready for Steam. When I switched from Minecraft to Minetest, when I first played it I was complaining about not having mobs. (My step-brother still doesnt like Minetest because of this reason). That was a big hit for me, then after a few months of continued Minecraft gameplay I finally started my first Minetest Singleplayer game. But even after I got over it and installed Simple Mobs, it was still buggy(0.4.5). REALLY buggy, The inventory was horrible, I used to get stuck in walls upon walking next to them and some other things that have been fixed. But even in its current state, it is buggy. The inventory is not perfect and I feel that the shaders could be optimized a bit more. But give it time and it will come. Not tomorow, not in a week, not even this year. I will take a guess and say that when we reach 0.5.5 we should be ready for a larger community, and then maybe the devs will consider Steam. That is my opinion about this topic.
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

mauvebic
Member
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Post

hoodedice wrote: @Mauvebic: Chill.
Dude, when you've been playing minetest for 3yrs and using linux for over a decade, come back and tell me you're not sick of hearing about proprietary this, "M$" and google that :p I've never seen a crowd with such a constant need for reassurance and validation, i don't think windows and apple users sit around and discuss the evils of open source, redhat and canonical on a near-daily basis :p The ideological stuff just wears thin after a while.
rubenwardy wrote: Ideas can not be patented. Designs are patented.

Minecraft could patent the user interface, the texture style, etc.

IF they invented the voxel form, they could of patented it, but they didn't.
Im sure if we were any kind of threat to MC they could find a way :P Though if my server logs are any indication (same users logging in from different countries [proxies or bots], same ips logging in with dozens of names and people stealing other people's names) we won't need MC to ruin MT. Makes you appreciate MC's centralized accounts :p

User avatar
Mikerhinos
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 08:17

by Mikerhinos » Post

Sorry to raise the topic from the dead, but to get more players, but not too much, and a pretty small n@@b5/kids proportion, isn't it possible to release Minetest on Greenlight but only Linux client/server ?
Linux users are more "this is beta, expect bugs and content in development" aware, and there are more developpers proportionnally than in Windows players I believe.
This would add more players, more devs, without having 1000s of kids coming on public servers bitching about "where are f*cking mobs ?", "omg lag", "that game s*cks so bad, I can't even craft *whatever stuff from MC only*" and destroy game image in weeks (or even days).
Then when mobs will be added etc...add Windows client/server.

For the patent/copyright problem, I think that maybe change default texture pack could help, because with default apparearance, it surely looks a LOT like MC. Maybe a BD/cartoon look (I love BDcraft pack), or VanessaE more realistic look.

When it will look less than MC it will be harder to sue, because hey, playing a guy that break blocks in an 8-bit look reminds me a lot Mario Bros, Nintendo should sue them ! Plus other free alternatives would look like a lot more MC and they would get sued 1st.

Just my 2 cents. (hope that I won't start a new war so if you have to reply please be gentle).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests