Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opinion

User avatar
lolman
Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 19:44
Location: a dirt block

Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opinion

by lolman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 01:55

in my opinion it did

Edit by sfan5:
Added a poll
Last edited by sfan5 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
i am a mini mod maker and a minetest debater
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:26

Minetest is certainly easier to make and maintain mods for (with a fork of it known as Freeminer being even more so.)
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

User avatar
stormchaser3000
Member
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 21:02
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:36

yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
if you wish to contact me by email, please use stormchaser3000@librem.one
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 02:39

stormchaser3000 wrote:yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.

Yes, that is true. Minetest may have its fair share of griefers, but Minecraft has way more of them (some of which are very clever and do YouTube videos of their acts of vandalism.)
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

mauvebic
Member
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:14

stormchaser3000 wrote:minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.

MC has more griefers because it also has more players :p The positive aspect to having to pay for an account means the same people can't grief the same servers with multiple usernames, unless they're willing to burn money. Also due to numbers, and from what i've seen on YT, they have better teamwork (20-30 people on a project) and more skilled builders. It's true the lua API makes it incredibly easy to add content to MT, our API is not yet powerful enough to provide us with mobs that are as good.

Though, i'll always prefer MT for the simple fact it's not done in Java :p
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:18

mauvebic wrote:
stormchaser3000 wrote:minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.

MC has more griefers because it also has more players :p The positive aspect to having to pay for an account means the same people can't grief the same servers with multiple usernames, unless they're willing to burn money. Also due to numbers, and from what i've seen on YT, they have better teamwork (20-30 people on a project) and more skilled builders. It's true the lua API makes it incredibly easy to add content to MT, our API is not yet powerful enough to provide us with mobs that are as good.

Though, i'll always prefer MT for the simple fact it's not done in Java :p

Yes, Minetest does need considerably better mob support.

You yourself are a skilled builder, Mauvebic.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

mauvebic
Member
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:22

Inocudom wrote:Yes, Minetest does need considerably better mob support.

You yourself are a skilled builder, Mauvebic.

Thanks :-) Though I wish there were more of us. It's sad to say every time I run a server I get the impression most people don't know they're in a building game.
 

User avatar
Krock
Developer
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
Location: Switzerland
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:37

Well, I guess the same question on MC forums would give the opposite of the current poll results.

EDIT: Okay, the fact "MC can hold thousands of players on one server" makes me thinking...
Last edited by Krock on Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>
 

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
Location: A forest in the midwest
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 13:23

mauvebic wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Yes, Minetest does need considerably better mob support.

You yourself are a skilled builder, Mauvebic.

Thanks :-) Though I wish there were more of us. It's sad to say every time I run a server I get the impression most people don't know they're in a building game.

Me too. I hate it when people put down a block of cobblestone and say it is their house. Especially if it's in spawn town, we need to have better builders for the area emmediately right outside of spawn. I have seen 0 nice spawn buildings in all of the servers that I have played on, and I wish there were more skilled builders in minetest. (It kind of shows how more players = more good builders, but it also means more griefers)
Back from the dead!
 

User avatar
pandaro
Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:34
Location: behind
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 14:11

is possible ... but the work to be done is very long, fraught with obstacles, hard, harsh.
Will our heroes be able to save the princess?
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:03

Yes:

  • Better modding support
  • Better community (it is FOSS)

No:

  • The API isn't as good as it could be
  • Mobs (entities suck, currently)
  • Polish
  • Good carts
  • Mesecons seems unpolished to me (logic gates :O)
  • The player divide suggests no
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:13

rubenwardy wrote:No:

  • The API isn't as good as it could be

What? No modding support at all vs. a good API that could be better, and you prefere no modding API?
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5940
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:24

PilzAdam wrote:What? No modding support at all vs. a good API that could be better, and you prefere no modding API?


We have a *real* modding api rather than a patching system, but they can do a lot more with their patching system.

And, in answer to your 'question', no.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 16:31

I know some skilled artists at PureZC, but none of them would give Minetest and Freeminer a chance. Alas, that shall be so for all eternity. That is a shame, for Minecraft servers (due to how Minecraft is modded) rarely have any mods, and I think some of them might like Minetest and Freeminer if they gave them a try. The PureZC forums do have a General Entertainment section, and that is where I posted topics about them.
Last edited by Inocudom on Sun Feb 02, 2014 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/
 

Josh
Member
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 23:11
Location: Victoria, Australia

by Josh » Sun Feb 02, 2014 22:09

I have played Minecraft and to be honest, i find it too overwhelming, and there are too many things in the game
(plus lot's of monsters walking around distracting you) But with minetest, if i don't like something i can simply change/remove it. Plus minecraft dose not have the best community out there.
Last edited by Josh on Sun Feb 02, 2014 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
pandaro
Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:34
Location: behind
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 22:32

I find it boring minecraft below in some things, for example:
food.
in minecraft you have available many types of food:
-apples
-carrots
-potatoes
-bread
-soups
-pork
-chicken
-cow meat
-cakes
and perhaps some other type.
But once you have created a system for reproducing a type of food you can completely disinterest of the other types of food.
What was the point then create all these types of food?
perhaps it was enough 3 or 4
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde
 

User avatar
Enke
Member
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 02:56
Location: The internet
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Sun Feb 02, 2014 22:40

Evergreen wrote:Me too. I hate it when people put down a block of cobblestone and say it is their house. Especially if it's in spawn town, we need to have better builders for the area emmediately right outside of spawn. I have seen 0 nice spawn buildings in all of the servers that I have played on, and I wish there were more skilled builders in minetest. (It kind of shows how more players = more good builders, but it also means more griefers)

I'm pretty sure you've been on ShadowServer. We have some very nice Spawn buildings.

As for the rest of it, my theory is that the only reason Minecraft has better and more polished mods is because there are more people playing on it, and as a result, more programmers, and thusly, more mods.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate
 

mauvebic
Member
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 23:01

Evergreen wrote:I hate it when people put down a block of cobblestone and say it is their house.

You gotta wonder what goes on those 100-mod servers :p Most players seem content using wood, cobble and dirt :p

rubenwardy wrote:Yes:
Better community (it is FOSS)

Is a community better by pure virtue of being FOSS? At least half the people are here because it's free as in beer. The community is mostly built around development, and the different groups (devs/modders/server admins/players) all have different priorities. We could use more activities outside of development, like the occasional building contest or team building project. Hell even a real community portal with relevant news and impartial reviews.

rubenwardy wrote:No:
Polish

What have you got against Poland?
 

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
Location: world
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Sun Feb 02, 2014 23:13

@mauvebic: Polish as in neat, finished, complete, bug-less, shiny.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build
 

mauvebic
Member
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 23:18

hoodedice wrote:@mauvebic: Polish as in neat, finished, complete, bug-less, shiny.

You do realize that was a joke? :P
 

User avatar
GingerHunter797
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 15:36
Location: Indiana
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 00:03

Inocudom wrote:
stormchaser3000 wrote:yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.

Yes, that is true. Minetest may have its fair share of griefers, but Minecraft has way more of them (some of which are very clever and do YouTube videos of their acts of vandalism.)


Why not just ban the ipaddress??? In my opinion that seems like a logical answer, because no matter how many times they make a new account if they are still using the same PC they cant get in.
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/
 

mauvebic
Member
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32

by mauvebic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 01:03

GingerHunter797 wrote:Why not just ban the ipaddress??? In my opinion that seems like a logical answer, because no matter how many times they make a new account if they are still using the same PC they cant get in.

that can be as easy to change as release/renew or restarting the modem. And judging from my logs either users or bots (or both) are using proxies to connect. Server admins have inadequate tools to deal with this. Thank god we don't have as many players as MC, our griefing problems would be worse.
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Feb 03, 2014 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
 

Daven
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 21:51
Location: Inside the white whale

by Daven » Mon Feb 03, 2014 03:49

mauvebic wrote:
hoodedice wrote:@mauvebic: Polish as in neat, finished, complete, bug-less, shiny.

You do realize that was a joke? :P


lol
 

CheerfulCherub
Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 23:03

by CheerfulCherub » Thu Feb 06, 2014 09:24

As much as I like this game, and I really do, how can you say Minetest is better than Minecraft, they have alot more things going on in Minecraft, they got dogs and cats you can tame, they got 3D playable characters in Singleplayer mode as well as creative mood, they got mobs, their Holidays textures are really nice, and their Mods seem to work better. The Nether in Minecraft is way bigger with really cool mobs. Having said all that, I like our textures better in this game, it's free and that a bonus in itself and they can afford to have all the things I said above because it a pay to play game. Working on refreshing my C++, took a class in College and I love it, so maybe I can help with some mod making to. This is just my opinion.
 

User avatar
hoodedice
Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 06:33
Location: world
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Thu Feb 06, 2014 09:34

CheerfulCherub wrote:As much as I like this game, and I really do, how can you say Minetest is better than Minecraft, they have alot more things going on in Minecraft, they got dogs and cats you can tame, they got 3D playable characters in Singleplayer mode as well as creative mood, they got mobs, their Holidays textures are really nice, and their Mods seem to work better. The Nether in Minecraft is way bigger with really cool mobs. Having said all that, I like our textures better in this game, it's free and that a bonus in itself and they can afford to have all the things I said above because it a pay to play game. Working on refreshing my C++, took a class in College and I love it, so maybe I can help with some mod making to. This is just my opinion.


...mods are written in lua...
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build
 

Next

Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests