Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opinion

PeterPanda

Re: Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opi

by PeterPanda » Post

But I would like mobs added in default minetest. Like realistic: Sheep, cattle, pigs, birds, wolves, cats, bears, stuff like that. I Would love all the animals in survivalcraft ( http://kaalus.wordpress.com/author/kaalus/ ) to be in minetest :D

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

If you were to compare just the base Minetest game with Minecraft, MC would win almost hands down. However, when you look at the communities for each and Minetest's super-cool modding API, MC blushes and has to leave the stage. I agree that Minetest has better default textures, but both games support texture packs, making that an irrelevant point. I've yet to see mobs in Minetest that outdo those of Minecraft as well, but somewhere down the line that has to improve too.

Does MC let you have floating islands? No. Does MC have Pipeworks and its pneumatic tubes? Nein. The list goes on...

However, MT is missing something rather large that MC has: a trailer fitted to Zack Hemsey's song "Mind Heist".
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

@PeterPanda: I like that about MT as well. Another reason why is that this is free and is soooo much more welcoming. Also, our default shaders are really amazing, and I don't think MC built those by hand like RealBadAngel did. Also, Blockmen built the 3rd person view, which really was amazing for me. Our devs are pretty awesome here, and actually really get out with the community, unlike MC.

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

At this day, I have a slightly better way of putting how I see things in this sense: Minecraft and Minetest both have one great blessing and one great curse, and each side wins / fails at what the other one has.

Minecraft: It has a lot of content, excellent item / mob balance and diversity, a colorful and pleasant environment, and there's so many things you're compelled to do that it almost never gets boring. However, it's pretty limited from any other perspective... both technical (difficult to mod, Java being less optimal and consistent than C++) and because of its proprietary nature it doesn't allow everyone to do everything they could with it.

Minetest: It's a fantastic engine, which allows creating nearly anything your mind can imagine doing with a voxel world, and which can be used to achieve some amazing worlds in the future. However, it lacks any good content; It ships with minetest_game which is a dead and simple world and gets you bored the moment you even see it, while mods (although many and based on good ideas) do little to fix that and compel the player to do anything at all.

Which got better over time? IMO, both did at their own "blessing" while they did little to fix their "curse". MineCraft is barely becoming a little more mod friendly and technically optimized, but is always adding new content and exciting new things you see in-game with each version. MineTest on the other hand is constantly improving its engine and getting better and better from a technical perspective, but is doing nearly nothing to create a world as colorful and grand and compelling as MineCraft's.

So MineCraft holds the flag for "gameplay quality" while MineTest holds the flag for "technical quality". When will MineTest get better than MineCraft in this case? IMO, when it will hold both flags itself. Which is possible, once we break from being satisfied with "minetest_game & mods" and create a whole new game with lots of biomes, nodes, mobs, purpose and progression, unique items and ideas, and much more. Just what I think and my 2 cents.

Evolykane

by Evolykane » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:So MineCraft holds the flag for "gameplay quality" while MineTest holds the flag for "technical quality". When will MineTest get better than MineCraft in this case? IMO, when it will hold both flags itself. Which is possible, once we break from being satisfied with "minetest_game & mods" and create a whole new game with lots of biomes, nodes, mobs, purpose and progression, unique items and ideas, and much more. Just what I think and my 2 cents.
I agree with your opinion that Minetest should expand its standard Game, but it is not technical at the same Level as Minecraft.

Zombie461
GitHub: Zombie461
IRC: Zombie461
In-game: Zombie471

by Zombie461 » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:If you were to compare just the base Minetest game with Minecraft, MC would win almost hands down. However, when you look at the communities for each and Minetest's super-cool modding API, MC blushes and has to leave the stage. I agree that Minetest has better default textures, but both games support texture packs, making that an irrelevant point. I've yet to see mobs in Minetest that outdo those of Minecraft as well, but somewhere down the line that has to improve too.

Does MC let you have floating islands? No. Does MC have Pipeworks and its pneumatic tubes? Nein. The list goes on...

However, MT is missing something rather large that MC has: a trailer fitted to Zack Hemsey's song "Mind Heist".
Yes. It has both. What the hell are you talking about? Floating islands are easy as pie. Pipes? Technic. Also, Neither does Minetest. You'd need mods for that.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I will say that expanding the default mapgen (or rather, making a whole new one) and having it encompass a much great variety should be one of the first small places to start. Obviously, improving client-side prediction would be wonderful and a much greater technical step to outdoing MC. But until then, every minor improvement that can be made can and should be, in my humble opinion. Expanding the base game and livening up the mapgen are both high on the list, maybe introducing some sort of achievement or progression system. For example, there could be some sort of item similar to the nether reactor from Minetest: Pocket Edition... Hard to craft and yielding much reward. Obviously, we could do much better than the nether reactor... On a really ambitious scale, dungeons could be heavily revamped or be given a spawner to create a whole trap filled temple, with some reward and/or achievement at the end.

Regarding mapgen, I'd love to eventually work on a C++ mapgen for the actual game, but I'm still learning the language. However, converting a few extra mods to in-game mapgen to make it more exciting would be great, particularly in creating more varied surface worlds (watershed is a good example), larger caverns (caverealms or subterrain), and floating islands (fracture or skylands) would certainly be a good start.
EDIT: For the first time I actually took a look at why (via GitHub) indev is/was removed, and it makes sense. Lua modding is more appropriate for creating such mapgens, and a better solution in view of that is more/better included "games". Perhaps I should work on helping more game modes get polished or completed...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

kirazo
In-game: kirazo

by kirazo » Post

It should have better surival mode by default.
keep calm and
WriteLn('Hello World!');

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

Re:

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

stormchaser3000 wrote:yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
I agree for those two reasons alone. However, one setback is that Minecraft is universal, being released on Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS, PS4,PS3 , Xbox One & Xbox 360. Minetest is only available on Windows, Mac OS X & Ansroid.
However, I do believe a Xbox 360 version is possible, as I vaguely remember hearing that you can make 360 games for free.
True, we dont have as many griefers, but we dont have as many players either. Im sure its proportionate.
I think that one reason users are flocking to Freeminer is that it comes with (slightly) more content. Weather, animals, etc. Minetest_game is dead.
I test mines.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: Re:

by ExeterDad » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:I agree for those two reasons alone. However, one setback is that Minecraft is universal, being released on Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS, PS4,PS3 , Xbox One & Xbox 360. Minetest is only available on Windows, Mac OS X & Ansroid.
Did you forget Linux? No one in my household uses anything but Linux and we are enjoying Minetest :)

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

ExeterDad: +1

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Technically Minecraft works on Linux because it is java, however minetest is still better solely because its free and super easy to mod.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Samson1
GitHub: MoJo4000
IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

Minecraft will all ways be better then Minetest,
Minecraft just has everything you need, Texture packs, mods, mobs, every thing is done properly.
Minetest just does not have that. Redstone works better then mesecones, Animals work and are better then in minetest they also do more, Wolves frighten Creepers, Dogs protect you Minetest does not even have dogs.
And the default TEXTURES in Minetest are RUBBISH!

Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:
stormchaser3000 wrote:yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
I agree for those two reasons alone. However, one setback is that Minecraft is universal, being released on Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS, PS4,PS3 , Xbox One & Xbox 360. Minetest is only available on Windows, Mac OS X & Ansroid.
However, I do believe a Xbox 360 version is possible, as I vaguely remember hearing that you can make 360 games for free.
True, we dont have as many griefers, but we dont have as many players either. Im sure its proportionate.
I think that one reason users are flocking to Freeminer is that it comes with (slightly) more content. Weather, animals, etc. Minetest_game is dead.

Minetest has a lot more griefers then Minecraft and that's one thing I will all ways think

Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

kirazo wrote:It should have better surival mode by default.
And there should be a default game mode system, I can not be bothered to keep closing the game just to change the game mode

Dartmouth

by Dartmouth » Post

Samson1 wrote:Minetest is only available on Windows, Mac OS X & Ansroid.
Wut? The MT userbase is mainly Linux...
There was a survey about that somewhere on the forums...

PeterPanda

by PeterPanda » Post

I think that vanilla minetest, while having unique and beautiful mapgen and texture, is really lackluster. Even if you don't mod it I don't think it's better than Minecraft by any stretch of imagination. Despite this, however, I still find myself in front of my computer playing it while games like Destiny, Minecraft, and Skyrim are sitting on my shelf gathering dust. The single reason I play minetest is because of th wonderful community that exists there. Being a moderator, I take pride in overseeing the well being of the server I am a part of. I meet a least one person every time I log on. It's such an amazing mmo and I absolutely love it. That's why, in my opinion, minetest is better than minecraft.

Marshall_maz
In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Post

Minecraft is far better. Even vanilla minecraft has way more content and gameplay features than a modded minetest.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The problem is that vanilla Minetest is supposed to be boring, in order to encourage modding.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Marshall_maz wrote:Minecraft is far better. Even vanilla minecraft has way more content and gameplay features than a modded minetest.
I doubt that is true, with the vast amount of mods available.
A modded Minecraft MIGHT have more content than a modded Minetest though.
I test mines.

PoignardAzur

by PoignardAzur » Post

I'm often torn between amusement and despair when I see people endlessly repeating that Minetest is better that Minecraft because making mods is 'easier'. No, it's not. Or, to be more precise, while making a shitty mod is infinitely easier in Minetest, making a great mod is slightly easier in Minecraft.

Sure, the technical parts are way simpler in Minetest, but the hardest part of modding is not the coding, it's the game design. Making a good mod means adding something that is both enjoyable, compatible with gameplay elements of other mods, and coherent on its own. Very few mods in Minecraft reach that state, and even fewer mods in Minetest do.

Why ? Because Minetest does not stand on its own. It's a mediocre engine when it comes to gameplay, especially when compared to Minecraft. It has poor controls, a bad UI, a lame sound design, a passable visual design, and no coherent game design to build upon. Most mods I've seen in this forum are just recreations and expansion of minetest_game, which is a very poor, incoherent game that should be demolished and restarted from the beginning instead of being endlessly copied.

So no, Minetest is definitely not better than Minecraft. Some people feel like it is better, because it's free (in both sense of the term) or because it's easy to mod, but a lame free game with a lot of mods that don't actually fix its problems is still a lame game. I'm not saying this as a Minetest-hater, I would love this game to be better, I love the concept, there is a lot of potential to it. The thing is, potential for quality is not quality. And endlessly gushing about how awesome this game is and how much you like it will not make it awesome. Honestly assessing its strengths and its flaws will. And right now, the modding community isn't that high in the 'strengths' columns.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I agree with much of what you say, PoignardAzur, Minetest is supposed to be an easy to extend and fully customisable game engine, but it sucks at that. Hopefully the client side lua will expand the possibilities.

Other subgames should be shipped with Minetest as Minetest Game sucks.

You have to remember the distinction between Plugin Mods and Patch Mods. Minecraft mods are all Patch Mods, they edit and add to the existing source code (except if you use Bukkit, which is a patch mod to add plugin mods.) Minetest's Lua Mods are all plugin mods. Minetest also supports Patch Mods, but it is harder to do than in Minecraft as C++ is a lower level language, and the code of Minetest isn't too friendly to newcomers.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

FWIW I have both and tend to play MT a whole lot more. I love the ability to mod on the fly and tweak just about everything to suit my needs. With MC it seems troublesome to do the same.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Silwncer

by Silwncer » Post

MT needs some features to be much better . I explained in my topic in Feature Requests.