Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opinion

lolman

Did minetest get better than minecraft? comment your opinion

by lolman » Post

in my opinion it did

Edit by sfan5:
Added a poll
Last edited by sfan5 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
i am a mini mod maker and a minetest debater

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Minetest is certainly easier to make and maintain mods for (with a fork of it known as Freeminer being even more so.)

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Post

yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

stormchaser3000 wrote:yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
Yes, that is true. Minetest may have its fair share of griefers, but Minecraft has way more of them (some of which are very clever and do YouTube videos of their acts of vandalism.)

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

stormchaser3000 wrote:minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
MC has more griefers because it also has more players :p The positive aspect to having to pay for an account means the same people can't grief the same servers with multiple usernames, unless they're willing to burn money. Also due to numbers, and from what i've seen on YT, they have better teamwork (20-30 people on a project) and more skilled builders. It's true the lua API makes it incredibly easy to add content to MT, our API is not yet powerful enough to provide us with mobs that are as good.

Though, i'll always prefer MT for the simple fact it's not done in Java :p
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Feb 02, 2014 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

mauvebic wrote:
stormchaser3000 wrote:minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
MC has more griefers because it also has more players :p The positive aspect to having to pay for an account means the same people can't grief the same servers with multiple usernames, unless they're willing to burn money. Also due to numbers, and from what i've seen on YT, they have better teamwork (20-30 people on a project) and more skilled builders. It's true the lua API makes it incredibly easy to add content to MT, our API is not yet powerful enough to provide us with mobs that are as good.

Though, i'll always prefer MT for the simple fact it's not done in Java :p
Yes, Minetest does need considerably better mob support.

You yourself are a skilled builder, Mauvebic.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Inocudom wrote: Yes, Minetest does need considerably better mob support.

Thanks :-) Though I wish there were more of us. It's sad to say every time I run a server I get the impression most people don't know they're in a building game.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Well, I guess the same question on MC forums would give the opposite of the current poll results.

EDIT: Okay, the fact "MC can hold thousands of players on one server" makes me thinking...
Last edited by Krock on Sun Feb 02, 2014 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

mauvebic wrote:
Inocudom wrote: Yes, Minetest does need considerably better mob support.

Thanks :-) Though I wish there were more of us. It's sad to say every time I run a server I get the impression most people don't know they're in a building game.
Me too. I hate it when people put down a block of cobblestone and say it is their house. Especially if it's in spawn town, we need to have better builders for the area emmediately right outside of spawn. I have seen 0 nice spawn buildings in all of the servers that I have played on, and I wish there were more skilled builders in minetest. (It kind of shows how more players = more good builders, but it also means more griefers)
Back from the dead!

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

is possible ... but the work to be done is very long, fraught with obstacles, hard, harsh.
Will our heroes be able to save the princess?
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Yes:
  • Better modding support
  • Better community (it is FOSS)
No:
  • The API isn't as good as it could be
  • Mobs (entities suck, currently)
  • Polish
  • Good carts
  • Mesecons seems unpolished to me (logic gates :O)
  • The player divide suggests no
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

rubenwardy wrote: No:
  • The API isn't as good as it could be
What? No modding support at all vs. a good API that could be better, and you prefere no modding API?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

PilzAdam wrote:What? No modding support at all vs. a good API that could be better, and you prefere no modding API?
We have a *real* modding api rather than a patching system, but they can do a lot more with their patching system.

And, in answer to your 'question', no.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I know some skilled artists at PureZC, but none of them would give Minetest and Freeminer a chance. Alas, that shall be so for all eternity. That is a shame, for Minecraft servers (due to how Minecraft is modded) rarely have any mods, and I think some of them might like Minetest and Freeminer if they gave them a try. The PureZC forums do have a General Entertainment section, and that is where I posted topics about them.
Last edited by Inocudom on Sun Feb 02, 2014 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

by Josh » Post

I have played Minecraft and to be honest, i find it too overwhelming, and there are too many things in the game
(plus lot's of monsters walking around distracting you) But with minetest, if i don't like something i can simply change/remove it. Plus minecraft dose not have the best community out there.
Last edited by Josh on Sun Feb 02, 2014 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

I find it boring minecraft below in some things, for example:
food.
in minecraft you have available many types of food:
-apples
-carrots
-potatoes
-bread
-soups
-pork
-chicken
-cow meat
-cakes
and perhaps some other type.
But once you have created a system for reproducing a type of food you can completely disinterest of the other types of food.
What was the point then create all these types of food?
perhaps it was enough 3 or 4
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Evergreen wrote: Me too. I hate it when people put down a block of cobblestone and say it is their house. Especially if it's in spawn town, we need to have better builders for the area emmediately right outside of spawn. I have seen 0 nice spawn buildings in all of the servers that I have played on, and I wish there were more skilled builders in minetest. (It kind of shows how more players = more good builders, but it also means more griefers)
I'm pretty sure you've been on ShadowServer. We have some very nice Spawn buildings.

As for the rest of it, my theory is that the only reason Minecraft has better and more polished mods is because there are more people playing on it, and as a result, more programmers, and thusly, more mods.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Evergreen wrote: I hate it when people put down a block of cobblestone and say it is their house.
You gotta wonder what goes on those 100-mod servers :p Most players seem content using wood, cobble and dirt :p
rubenwardy wrote: Yes:
Better community (it is FOSS)
Is a community better by pure virtue of being FOSS? At least half the people are here because it's free as in beer. The community is mostly built around development, and the different groups (devs/modders/server admins/players) all have different priorities. We could use more activities outside of development, like the occasional building contest or team building project. Hell even a real community portal with relevant news and impartial reviews.
rubenwardy wrote: No:
Polish
What have you got against Poland?

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

@mauvebic: Polish as in neat, finished, complete, bug-less, shiny.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

hoodedice wrote:@mauvebic: Polish as in neat, finished, complete, bug-less, shiny.
You do realize that was a joke? :P

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

Inocudom wrote:
stormchaser3000 wrote:yes minetest did get better than minecraft in a way just inocudom said it is a lot easier to mod. another reason is because it is open source and minecraft you have to pay $26 USD. also minetest has a better comunity not as many griefers.
Yes, that is true. Minetest may have its fair share of griefers, but Minecraft has way more of them (some of which are very clever and do YouTube videos of their acts of vandalism.)
Why not just ban the ipaddress??? In my opinion that seems like a logical answer, because no matter how many times they make a new account if they are still using the same PC they cant get in.
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

GingerHunter797 wrote: Why not just ban the ipaddress??? In my opinion that seems like a logical answer, because no matter how many times they make a new account if they are still using the same PC they cant get in.
that can be as easy to change as release/renew or restarting the modem. And judging from my logs either users or bots (or both) are using proxies to connect. Server admins have inadequate tools to deal with this. Thank god we don't have as many players as MC, our griefing problems would be worse.
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Feb 03, 2014 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Daven

by Daven » Post

mauvebic wrote:
hoodedice wrote:@mauvebic: Polish as in neat, finished, complete, bug-less, shiny.
You do realize that was a joke? :P
lol

CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Post

As much as I like this game, and I really do, how can you say Minetest is better than Minecraft, they have alot more things going on in Minecraft, they got dogs and cats you can tame, they got 3D playable characters in Singleplayer mode as well as creative mood, they got mobs, their Holidays textures are really nice, and their Mods seem to work better. The Nether in Minecraft is way bigger with really cool mobs. Having said all that, I like our textures better in this game, it's free and that a bonus in itself and they can afford to have all the things I said above because it a pay to play game. Working on refreshing my C++, took a class in College and I love it, so maybe I can help with some mod making to. This is just my opinion.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

CheerfulCherub wrote:As much as I like this game, and I really do, how can you say Minetest is better than Minecraft, they have alot more things going on in Minecraft, they got dogs and cats you can tame, they got 3D playable characters in Singleplayer mode as well as creative mood, they got mobs, their Holidays textures are really nice, and their Mods seem to work better. The Nether in Minecraft is way bigger with really cool mobs. Having said all that, I like our textures better in this game, it's free and that a bonus in itself and they can afford to have all the things I said above because it a pay to play game. Working on refreshing my C++, took a class in College and I love it, so maybe I can help with some mod making to. This is just my opinion.
...mods are written in lua...
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build